Accu-chek Mobile

TURTLE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
New to the forum so forgive me if this has been discussed before...

I have just received a new Accu chek mobile blood monitor but have been told by my GP that supplies for this meter are not available on the NHS ?.
Is this correct.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi

I have just received a new Accu chek mobile blood monitor but have been told by my GP that supplies for this meter are not available on the NHS ?.
Is this correct.
No it isn't correct,
What your GP should have told you was that your commissioning group wont pay for the cassettes.
Mind you after having the misfortune to try the meter I can quite cheerfully say that you wont miss out by not using it.

TURTLE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually quite like the monitor..I like the fact you can download all your info and view results and trends on your laptop.

Who are the commissioning group ?

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with carbsRok
all a bit of a gimmick tried it on a free sample and didn't like it.Try all the free bees you can to get a good idea what you like.you can always change

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Got one. Love it. My mobile is supplied by my diabetes nurse and 200 strips a month from the GP. At first I was restricted to 100 and had to crowbar another 100 with the 'I drive for a living argument'.This is not the norm however. I have a nerve problem affecting my hands that make normal strips a fiddly affair. If you have a good reason it will be funded. They seem to be a marmite meter,, you love it or hate it. Can take a while to develop the required technique to apply the blood without getting errors. The fastclix finger pricker is almost a joy to use :)

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Is this correct.

Hi Turtle!

It's not correct. I always use an Accuchek Mobile. It is the most convening meter for me. I spend a lot of time in meetings and testing on-the-go and dealing with sharps, bloodied test strips and all the rest of the traditional meter paraphernalia wouldn't be an easy option for me. I get the cassettes on prescription. It hasn't been a problem so far, but it is up to your individual doctor. The region where I live have started insisting on one standardised meter, so it's probably only a matter of time until I have the same problem.

Smidge

Reactions: 4 people

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While I'm not a big fan of the mobile, it has certainly improved since the earlier stripless gm. Anyone remember the accuchek compact with the annoying drum that kept rotating every time you turned it on?(not to mention the constant errors) whrrrrrrr! click whrrrrrrr! click whrrrrrrr! click whrrrrrrr! click........Argh!

Honestly can't understand why doctors do this, diabetics have enough to worry about. If someone finds that they have a preference of one gm over another, we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get supplies for it.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love this meter. Best ever. It's accurate and ultra convenient. The convenience means I test more often in more places. More testing means better control.

The only tricky thing is the blood drop placement is a bit different from other meters and takes some getting used to.

From memory I don't think the price of strips is any much more than other "leading brands". It is not in the cheap end of the range though. What is your GP offering you instead?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I liked the Accu Chek Compact with its 17 strip drum but I LURVE the Accu Chek Mobile with its 50 strip cassette.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I find the accuchek mobile blood technique to be very similar to that of the bm test strips from the late eighties / early nineties, where you had to wipe the blood off.

TURTLE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks for all your replies. :)

It sounds like its down to the individual GP and what he/she is prepared to give us ?.
If your GP refuses to prescribe these supplies is there any other route I can take as I really do like this meter?.

TURTLE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spiker,

They have just given me an Accu chek wavesense Jazz for some reason ?
There is nothing wrong with my tried and tested Accu Chek Avviva I just wanted to try a more "mobile" unit but finding it hard to get regular supplies.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Many thanks for all your replies. :)

It sounds like its down to the individual GP and what he/she is prepared to give us ?.
If your GP refuses to prescribe these supplies is there any other route I can take as I really do like this meter?.

Ask your diabetes consultant (if under one) to write to your gp and say that you want the cassettes added to your prescription.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I actually quite like the monitor..I like the fact you can download all your info and view results and trends on your laptop.

Who are the commissioning group ?
Commissioning group is the new name for your PCT (primary care trust) :)

Tony Brewster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had one of these meters when they first came out 5 years ago and I had regular problems with the cassettes messing up half way through so only getting half the tests per cassette. I change meters 1-2x a year. Recently for the first time I had to ask a nurse to change my prescriptions to mobile as I heard the latest model has improvements from the original. I haven't had one test mess up yet! Well anyway the lady said "I don't think you can have that on the NHS" but I told her I had it five years ago and after arguing with her about being type 1 diabetic and the importance of having a meter I feel most comfortable with she told me to call back in the morning for the prescribing clerk. So another phone call and she told me they like everyone to use the British micro dot meter, I did laugh when she said British and said no one ever hears of British blood glucose system because I'm guessing they're **** and cheap and I won't be using one. She said she will write me a single prescription but won't put it on my repeat. Called the next day and asked for my doctor and I'd planned everything I was going to say and I told him what I wanted and he said no problem before I could even say what I'd wanted. I explained about the nurse and clerk lecturing me and he said it's not really for them to decide and he will put it on my repeat and he said he would get a letter of I wasn't allowed the cassettes. I haven't heard anything back and I noticed he's put unlimited prescriptions on it as I can order them more than my usual repeat stuff ordered 2 prescriptions of 200 2 days in a row as I wanted to stock up in case my access is restricted. I think it's ridiculous having restrictions. But then it's the international health service these days isn't it. Cutback after cutback

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had one of these meters when they first came out 5 years ago and I had regular problems with the cassettes messing up half way through so only getting half the tests per cassette. I change meters 1-2x a year. Recently for the first time I had to ask a nurse to change my prescriptions to mobile as I heard the latest model has improvements from the original. I haven't had one test mess up yet! Well anyway the lady said "I don't think you can have that on the NHS" but I told her I had it five years ago and after arguing with her about being type 1 diabetic and the importance of having a meter I feel most comfortable with she told me to call back in the morning for the prescribing clerk. So another phone call and she told me they like everyone to use the British micro dot meter, I did laugh when she said British and said no one ever hears of British blood glucose system because I'm guessing they're **** and cheap and I won't be using one. She said she will write me a single prescription but won't put it on my repeat. Called the next day and asked for my doctor and I'd planned everything I was going to say and I told him what I wanted and he said no problem before I could even say what I'd wanted. I explained about the nurse and clerk lecturing me and he said it's not really for them to decide and he will put it on my repeat and he said he would get a letter of I wasn't allowed the cassettes. I haven't heard anything back and I noticed he's put unlimited prescriptions on it as I can order them more than my usual repeat stuff ordered 2 prescriptions of 200 2 days in a row as I wanted to stock up in case my access is restricted. I think it's ridiculous having restrictions. But then it's the international health service these days isn't it. Cutback after cutback
The mobile and cassettes are not generally available on prescription here in north Hertfordshire. You need a good reason for one and have to ask for it. Then you are limited to 100 tests per month. Again you need a good reason to be percribed more. Unfortunately for me I qualify. Suffering nerve damage to both hands. Love it to bits. Driving for a living also crowbared extra strips ;)

Tony Brewster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The mobile and cassettes are not generally available on prescription here in north Hertfordshire. You need a good reason for one and have to ask for it. Then you are limited to 100 tests per month. Again you need a good reason to be percribed more. Unfortunately for me I qualify. Suffering nerve damage to both hands. Love it to bits. Driving for a living also crowbared extra strips ;)

I'm sorry to hear you have such restrictions, I'd happily share some of my cassettes with someone who didn't have access to them. This price difference between most strips and cassettes varies around £20-30 per pack. Apparently the micro dot ones cost £6 for 50 strips. Cheap to me being diabetic since 2007 puts the illusion in my head of pain and scarred fingers. I imagine this micro dot being like Mr spocks tri quarter from the original star treks in size comparison haha!