My latest HbA1c test

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I finally managed to see the doctor to get the results for my 3 month test to review how I am doing on a reduced dose of metformin. I was a little worried as the doctor wanted to see me and I thought this meant that my results were higher.... So I was more than delighted to find out they were lower.

Feb 2015
HbA1c. 40 (46 In Nov 14)
Cholesterol 3.9 (4.3 in Nov 14)

The DN was amazed... The Dr was pleased but more concerned that I was going overboard!!! He told me that I shouldn't be trying to lower my results any more. I find this strange but I have come to realise that it is my health and I need to do what I need to do. Anyway the bottom line is that the Dr has taken me off Glicazide completely. So now I am on just 1 x1000 sr metformin a day. So happy about this. I have to go back in 3 months for another HbA1c test to check how things are doing.

So thanks everyone for all the support and information you've shared... It's only through your experience and guidance that I've been able to achieve what I have.

Reactions: 23 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic result @Kezzer4321 ! I got the same kind of response gp wise too but haven't and won't be changing anything - our condition so up to us how we deal with it when we get such good results!

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I finally managed to see the doctor to get the results for my 3 month test to review how I am doing on a reduced dose of metformin. I was a little worried as the doctor wanted to see me and I thought this meant that my results were higher.... So I was more than delighted to find out they were lower.

Feb 2015
HbA1c. 40 (46 In Nov 14)

The DN was amazed... The Dr was pleased but more concerned that I was going overboard!!! He told me that I shouldn't be trying to lower my results any more. I find this strange but I have come to realise that it is my health and I need to do what I need to do. Anyway the bottom line is that the Dr has taken me off Glicazide completely. So now I am on just 1 x1000 sr metformin a day. So happy about this. I have to go back in 3 months for another HbA1c test to check how things are doing.

So thanks everyone for all the support and information you've shared... It's only through your experience and guidance that I've been able to achieve what I have.

Well done Kezzer. A great score.

In your shoes, I'd be particularly glad to be off the Gliclazide. Give yourself a little slack over the coming days if your scores go up a tiny bit, as your body adjusts to its own self-regulation. The Gliclazide stimulates your pancreas to generate more insulin that it might do on its own, so it could take a few days for it to catch on it no longer has its little helper. Some people notice nothing; others get a little nervy about it.

As you're now into the non-diabetic range, was there talk of reviewing the Metformin next time?

Again, well done.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh brilliant news Kezzer. So pleased for you, and a double celebration as your cholesterol is also lower. :)

Good luck.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Realy good news,congratulations .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pleased your hard work is paying off Keezer:)

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @Kezzer4321. Really pleased for you. Fantastic result and a great reduction. Keep at it and maybe in 3 or 6 months you can come off the Metformin as well.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Feb 2015
HbA1c. 40 (46 In Nov 14)

Brilliant news @Kezzer :)

Could not be happier for you :) WELL DONE !!!!!

Mike

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Kezzer. A great score.

In your shoes, I'd be particularly glad to be off the Gliclazide. Give yourself a little slack over the coming days if your scores go up a tiny bit, as your body adjusts to its own self-regulation. The Gliclazide stimulates your pancreas to generate more insulin that it might do on its own, so it could take a few days for it to catch on it no longer has its little helper. Some people notice nothing; others get a little nervy about it.

As you're now into the non-diabetic range, was there talk of reviewing the Metformin next time?

Again, well done.
Hi AndBreathe,
Thanks for the advice about coming of Gliclazide - I do feel a little nervous about any change in medication - I think its because I now feel in control of my diabetes, rather than the other way round. I asked about the Metformin, and the Dr said he would review the need for it after my next 3 month test. He said there are lots of other benefits to taking metformin and he would prefer to see what affect stopping the Gliclizide has on my BS's first.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic result @Kezzer4321 ! I got the same kind of response gp wise too but haven't and won't be changing anything - our condition so up to us how we deal with it when we get such good results!
Thanks Kimbo,

What I found strange is that he said my target range should be 48 - 53. He didn't seem to be able to give me an explanation why other than the NICE guidelines. Still I plan to keep doing what I am doing as I feel great.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Bluetit. Patricia, Noblehead, S_K_S, and Mike, its so good to have a little concrete evidence that what I am doing is working. I'm learning new stuff all the time but I don't think I will ever really stop worrying about keeping control - which is a good thing I hope.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Thanks Kimbo,

What I found strange is that he said my target range should be 48 - 53. He didn't seem to be able to give me an explanation why other than the NICE guidelines. Still I plan to keep doing what I am doing as I feel great.

Well done Kezzer. It's funny that your doctor said "your target range should be 48 - 53". When I was told that I had diabetes (in Jaanuary 2015) the DN said my current level was 53 and my 3 month target was 47.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Kimbo,

In a nutshell. Brilliant. Well done.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Kimbo,

Oh come now! Obviously if that's what the NICE guidelines say your targets are as a diabetic, then of course you should be keeping to them! :D I spent most of my working life as part of the support staff for a largish community of extremely highly qualified scientists, and it never ceased to amaze me how thick they could actually be when it came to the practicalities of real life... It certainly applies to the medical profession too.

Robbity

PS Just keep up your good work and let common sense prevail in the face of idiotic medical advice.

Reactions: 3 people