Insulin
Alan, that is not good ..i will definitely squirrel a bit away now

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Yes, I'm trying to stockpile - makes me feel safe, daft really, but that's me. In my kitchen, I have a spare tin, packet or jar of everything, that way I never run out. I'm trying to do the same with the Insulin kit if only the NHS would let me. I'm working on putting repeats in a week or so early, so that I can eventually have a cupboard with oodles of spares.

That is exactly what I do.

I now have about 4 boxes (of 5) Novorapid and 3 boxes (of 5) Lantus.

You know just in case the next 15 or so of my pens fail to work I'll be alright !

Reactions: 6 people

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a walk in pantry and I swear my wife has stocked it to survive WW3 and 4!
Tins packets bins of flour of many kinds stuff growing in the garden poly tunnels on order right now.

When I was 14, I dated a guy whose mother was an older, grandmotherly type. I used to spend time in her kitchen, watching her cook. She asked me to go downstairs to their basement pantry to get a few things. In there was so much food and cans and dry goods I couldn't believe it. When I went back upstairs I told her that if there were ever another world war, I was going to come to her house with a can opener. :D :D

Reactions: 10 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
The only thing i stock pile regularly is toilet roll just incase, you know how it is, hate to get caught short.

Reactions: 4 people

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I have an extra months worth of all prescription drugs and medical supplies with the blessing of my GP.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My GP practice hired a pharmacy manager whose job it is to check up on how much everyone is ordering. She cut down my re orders.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys
I know this is a bit taboo, so shhhhhh, don't tell the NHS, but does anyone else out there feel a niggling in the back of their head to stockpile, insulin, needles, lancets, test strips?...

I'm sure it's just because I'm only 4 months into my diagnosis, but I feel I need to slowly squirrel away stuff, so have bout 6 months/a year supply of everything in case something ridiculous happens, like a war/ shortage of meds etc... It's just we rely on all of the meds to keep us alive don't we?... I've even thought, 'what would happen on walking dead, I wouldn't survive, never mind the zombies', lol...
Ive Stock Piled Needles and ive enough insulin in my Fridge to last me at least 6 months, i cant even get a enough test strips to last me for what i use...

But i like to keep reserves of insulin ever since my Dr Refused to write me a prescription when i had none left once (had to go to hospital to get emergency supply)

Reactions: 3 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive Stock Piled Needles and ive enough insulin in my Fridge to last me at least 6 months, i cant even get a enough test strips to last me for what i use...

But i like to keep reserves of insulin ever since my Dr Refused to write me a prescription when i had none left once (had to go to hospital to get emergency supply)

What a stupid doctor!!!

I stockpile too, mainly test strips but anything I can really, I've got my own little pharmacy lol

Reactions: 5 people

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What a stupid doctor!!!

I stockpile too, mainly test strips but anything I can really, I've got my own little pharmacy lol
Yea Some Computer error when they switched sytems told them i had only got insulin the month before and couldnt possibly need it, i tried telling them it was a mistake and that i kind of need it to live, point blank refused

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yea Some Computer error when they switched sytems told them i had only got insulin the month before and couldnt possibly need it, i tried telling them it was a mistake and that i kind of need it to live, point blank refused

Same thing happened to me with test strips a while ago (which is maybe when I decided to start stockpiling lol) said I'd just had some, hadn't, was about to run out.. I just told them I wouldn't leave till I got a prescription lol

Reactions: 3 people

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same thing happened to me with test strips a while ago (which is maybe when I decided to start stockpiling lol) said I'd just had some, hadn't, was about to run out.. I just told them I wouldn't leave till I got a prescription lol
My Docs has started using the "myvisiononline" service which to this day insists i had insulin given to me in december (it was october) and still refuses to give me anymore, also with this i now have to get monthly prescriptions as opposed to 6 month batches like i used to, which is really inconvenient to have to go to the Drs at least once a month to get them... being they only open 9-5 and close for 2 hours over lunch.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hand up, I have a bunker mentality .
I stockpile everything ! Much as I would like to have a zen like mentality and live a minimalist lifestyle, I store a meds stash, enough loo roll to alarm any visitors and a larder and freezers ( yes, plural! ) to feed an army . A small section on my pantry here :oops:

image.jpg

Reactions: 8 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my defence, I live many miles from the nearest supermarket, like to cook from scratch, and it's very possible to be snowed in and cut off for quite a long time during the winter.

And of course, there are the zombies.....

Signy

Reactions: 12 people

HaroldC

I usually stockpile 6 weeks worth of stuff. It allows me to be flexible in when I replenish, and nipping off for a trip somewhere for a few weeks isn't a problem.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd really like a little stockpile, just a little bit of spare in the system but I can only re order after 49 days from the previous prescription being issued so no chance of a building up a stash.

Sadly, I don't have a pantry or basement full of toilet roll and dried soup :( New houses are really not designed for stockpiling.

Reactions: 6 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd never stockpile items. Not that I can anyway, ordering systems where I live work in a way that they calculate how much you may need and only give you that much and then you can't order again until the system says you can. My pharmacy have no problem issuing me more medication if I need it though. I know someone who stockpiles their diabetic medication months in advance and almost always the stuff goes out of date, which is a waste really. Somebody else could of used it!

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd really like a little stockpile, just a little bit of spare in the system but I can only re order after 49 days from the previous prescription being issued so no chance of a building up a stash.

Sadly, I don't have a pantry or basement full of toilet roll and dried soup :( New houses are really not designed for stockpiling.

Ah, but newer houses have advantages such as central heating, cisterns that don't threaten to fall on you when you pull the chain, and come to think of it, the netties are usually inside :D

There is a prescription reordering system at my practice, but they do tend to be flexible because of most of the population being rural, but not so flexible things could go out of date . It's what I call a sensible stash :)

Signy

Reactions: 5 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I think Harold C has the right idea, six weeks supply of anything is adequate.
Has anybody ever collected a prescription only to find the wrong item inside the bag? If this is returned to the pharmacy it goes in the waste because they can't guarantee it's been stored correctly. ie: refrigerated, dark stored, correct temperature all affect meds. Do be careful to rotate the boxes and keep an eye on dates. If you stockpile and meds are not correctly stored they could end up not doing their job properly. I stockpiled my Husbands meds, vitamin drinks etc. I Had a delivery one day (to store) and a few days later my hubby passed away all those meds went to waste as the chemist would not take them back. Most were controlled drugs and very expensive, what a waste of NHS funds that turned out to be, I felt very guilty and would never do it again. Plus my surgery will not issue a prescription in advance "as you only had one three weeks ago" However, my kitchen cupboards are a different matter