Fruit good or bad for you

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The only way to see what affect certain fruit has on you bs is to test. Its your body and you Ned to take care of it, don't just rely on your health practioner.

Reactions: 2 people

foxyccc

I would recommend asking your diabetic nurse or gp to put you on their diabetic education programme. I did a programme called EXPERT which was two hours one evening a week for six weeks, I am type two diabetic and the course covered what diabetes is, medication, diet and complications hypos etc. It was extremely informative, and we had a least two weeks covering foods and how different foods affect our blood glucose readings. The course was very useful in learning how to eat with diabetes, and they basically recommended a low sugar low fat, healthy diet the same as everyone else. They advise you only to drink tiny amounts of fruit juice as this is high in sugar, but to eat small amounts of fruit. I carry a small banana in my bag as a snack. Some fruits are higher in sugar such as pineapple. The EXPERT programme gave us a booklet which confirmed everything we learnt on the course and all the information on diet. I certainly would recommend this course or similar course as once you have the information it is easier to manage the diabetes.

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's fruit I really miss, can tolerate berries in small amounts but really miss bananas
Jan

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have no problem eating any fruits. we are all different so what good for one is not good for another.
as others have said testing is the only way to find out. Berries i love so that's great. Bananas every now and then but then i am careful the whole day after. Apples no problem oranges not problem. and the fibre is good stuff. Only try if you can test.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I was suprised to read in form the other day a person adviceing someone to lay off bannana grapes and melon, the first thing the nurse told me to give up was my daily grapefruit I know fruits have there own natural sugars but surely taken daily in moderation they are better for you as an alternative to snacking I mean what else is left do we just eat veg all day. The more I read the form the more of a mine field it is becoming it seems to me that the Diabetes has taken over my life with all the do,s and don't,s and the endless Med appointments off to a Diabetes review with nurse this afternoon, first time question and new to the form hi guy,s type 2 and at present overweight
Comments would be most welcome

Grapefruit is really the only fruit I love and I was told to stop eating it but not because of it's sugar content but because if you take statins grapefruit will stop them from working !

I think it may be the same with cranberries, but I loved my grapefruit and I was actuallt angry when I realised I couldn't have it any more !

Some fruits ooze sugar, water melon is deadly and grapes are full of it. Sugar is sugar though whether it's in a mars bar or a slice of melon so it's a case of just being aware of what you eat.

I had a smoothie about 6 months back (never had one before) and about two hours later I felt as though I was going to go into a coma. Awful !

Had to give myself about 6/8 units novorapid just to get my levels down !

Angelmum21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree giving up starchy sugary fruit is a bummer and yes berries seem sharp when you first get used to them on their own - however having dialled down my taste buds after months eating only low GI fruits I think they are delicious and really sweet!!! - I use nuts, olives and pork scratchings when I need something to snack on. But I read the other day that it is fructose that goes straight to your liver and gets laid down as fat stores so I am regretting my endless eating of high sugar fruit as a healthy thing earlier in my life as it turns out I have an underactive thyroid so all that turned to fat in me!

Chris9450

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Danny and Nicola and all newly diagnosed diabetics!

Looks as tho you are going through the first shock and discovery phase of being diabetic. I have been fortunate enough to live for part of the year in the USA and most of the year in the UK. I have heard this sort of problem expressed so often, both sides of the Atlantic!
First and foremost, it is your life and you need to make the decisions for yourself. You have to live each day with this, not your nurse or doctor. A good team will support you in making the right decisions. Help you learn your individual reactions to specific foods and specific food combinations. For instance, if exercising vigorously you might be able to eat and enjoy a small, finger, style banana. You might get away with using the same amount in a meal as long as you take the total carbs for the meal! Like OK with a salad, but not OK with two slices of bread.
If you are in USA you might not get your testing strips through your insurance cover. But you will probably have access to training programs and a good, well trained diabetic nurse. I started low-carb counting when I paid for some support in the U.S.A. It paid dividends. I would not let anyone stop me testing to learn my individual reactions to food or food combinations. I have a lovely lady friend who brings a banana to golf when we play. She breaks off the top for me to enjoy with her! That's a true friend and is a lovely gift to me. My husband often shares a fruit bowl with me so I can enjoy a little melon, a few grapes etc with him. But no way would I eat a bunch of grapes or a whole banana. But raspberries with a salad and protein are delicious!
When I was first diagnosed with Type II it was very overwhelming. But a chiropodist said to me, 'you'll probably more likely to live a full life than most non-diabetics, because you know you have to take your health seriously'. As I have gone through over ten years since then, I came to understand - this diabetes is better than a lot of other conditions because you can help yourself! I don't get it right all the time but exercise, nutritionally healthy eating and consistent medication treatment (no missed dosing) can give you a better life.
So, yes, be shocked. But stay on the forums, get educated, learn to make the right decisions for you and fight bureaucracy and ignorance as necessary.
I am fitter, stronger and have lost over 14lbs in weight, especially with low carb, average 'natural fat' eating. Get friends and family to support you if you can! Stay strong, stay making your own choices. I do hope the next year or so finds you in a more peaceful, more informed place.

Reactions: 10 people

tonal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Some people (emphasis on "some") can tolerate them but many can't. They are full of sugars. You can test to see what they do to your levels but as for me, I would stay well away. Be very wary would be my recommendation
I would also like to know, what about cherries? I take about 15 a day for arthritis and it seems to be helping, but how does this affect D2?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree giving up starchy sugary fruit is a bummer and yes berries seem sharp when you first get used to them on their own - however having dialled down my taste buds after months eating only low GI fruits I think they are delicious and really sweet!!! - I use nuts, olives and pork scratchings when I need something to snack on. But I read the other day that it is fructose that goes straight to your liver and gets laid down as fat stores so I am regretting my endless eating of high sugar fruit as a healthy thing earlier in my life as it turns out I have an underactive thyroid so all that turned to fat in me!
Welcome to my world!!! I was the same and my colleagues at work used to laugh when they saw the fruit bowl I had on my desk each day - whilst they munched on cakes and crisps I would religiously eat my 5 portions of fruit - grapes, bananas, oranges, pears, apples, plums you name it I enjoyed it!! The only fruit I eat now are berries in small quantities and the occasional apple with somechese as a snack. I also have an u/active thyroid which obviously didn't help.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The Xpert course is now high fat, low carb. Google Trudi Deakins and buy her new book called Eat Fat.

Ali

Frances_ann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Onions , Garlic , Curry
I must be really lucky, I'm type 2 and my GP supplies a testing meter and strips happily. Fruit consumption seems to be down to the individual - we all tolerate it differently - so it seems trial and error. Good luck in the process

bgd121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I struggle when i have most fruit, but use a kids sweet called Yo yo as a treat during the day, which claims to give you one of your 5 day for 5 grammes of sugar. Not ideal, but suits my needs. Other than that it is Blueberries that are my regular choice of fruit.
Having a treat available when i need one, that is relatively low in sugar is important, as i do not feel i am missing out.

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Xpert course is now high fat, low carb. Google Trudi Deakins and buy her new book called Eat Fat.

Ali
I always ask what Hi Fat means? Never get an answer....deep fried lard sandwiches maybe?????
I dont like fat sorry.
LCHFibreHP maybe.
or just a balanced diet with no labels.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thanks for your comments just to explain not on Meds and Don, t check readings the nurse, s and doctor I deal with are against us doing self checks for some reason
Yes....cost. But we know to effectively manage our bs we need to know what foods push our bs levels up , believe me dannymac, neuropathy is not pleasant , the normal range for non diabetics is 4.4 to 5.8 .

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I always ask what Hi Fat means? Never get an answer....deep fried lard sandwiches maybe?????
I dont like fat sorry.
LCHFibreHP maybe.
You need to eat more natural fats , ie butter, cheese, olive oil,also foods "high in fats" like nuts , bacon,eggs, avocado, and using oils like coconut to cook with.also full fat yogurt.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Trouble is, won't these fats push cholesterol levels up? I know Olive oil is ok, as that's not a saturated fat, but aren't all the others saturated?

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to eat more natural fats , ie butter, cheese, olive oil,also foods "high in fats" like nuts , bacon,eggs, avocado, and using oils like coconut to cook with.also full fat yogurt.
I see this as a balanced diet but with a trendy name.
Bacon sorry no. Most bacon is processed and i would prefer not to eat processed foods.
Full Fat Yogurt no as i prefer low fat ones..... just a personal preference.
The rest i have always eaten them as part of my balanced diet.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Do your own research and decide for yourself 1andylock. There is a massive change going on with regards dietary advice, fat is not the enemy we have been lead to believe but carbs are not so good for us. Google Richard Bernstein, Ancel Keys, the seven countries study etc. As I said, Trudi Deakins who educates NHS staff and the public is now advocating high fat, she eat 82% fat I believe. No, it does not involve lard sandwiches.

Ali

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont like fat sorry.
LCHFibreHP maybe.

Yes I like to think that my LCHF diet would be better described as LC(HF)^2. That's HF squared, meaning high fat and high fibre, because I do like to include quite a lot of low carb vegetables along with my higher fat intake.

Andy, it may just be a balanced diet to you, but to many people who have been scared by the constant warnings (over their entire lifetime) about fat in their diet, anything other than extreme low fat is considered abnormal. That's the point of emphasising the "HF" here, to make people realise that getting energy from dietary fats is not abnormal - and can actually help in the case of diabetes.

I know that personally it was something that really needed to be emphasised to me, because I had taken the low fat message to heart way to much. I sincerely now believe that it harmed my health and hastened (if not outright caused) my diabetes. When I think back to swapping out healthy milk for sugar laden fruit juice for instance, and there'd be at least a dozen other similar examples of choices like that I made. It makes me cringe now, but I did it out of fear of fats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people