1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fruit good or bad for you

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by DannyMac, Apr 14, 2015.

1. jane1950

jane1950 · Well-Known Member

I was told by a nurse to eat a banana before going for long walks as it is a slow acting carbohydrate

2. drakman

drakman Type 2 · Active Member

The only fruit I have been told I MUST avoid is grapefruit as it contains a chemical that reacts with some medication I have to take, the sugar in fruit is not too bad but check if your body has sugar highs from it, generally though I was told the fibre and other vitamins in the fruit are more important to your body, the sugars are only an issue in juices with pulp removed, or overrefined smoothies, I know I drank fruit juice and smoothies for a while to be healthier and my diabetes got much worse, it took several months and increases in my medications to get it back under control, so fresh fruit is good but juiced in anyway is bad

3. Ali H

Ali H Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Usual advice really, eat and test, for some it is ok and for others not. 3 of us here are diabetic and all 3 go into mid teens from fruit. Only things I eat now are berries.

4. poohtiggy

poohtiggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would suggest you take a reading before eating a banana then take one 2 hours later it' s the only proof of how your body accepts any food. I coast between 4's and 8 but a banana would push me up to 18 so I stick to Apple's, strawberries, raspberries and on an occasional cheat day will have a small orange which I miss so much. Your meter will tell you what you can safely eat

5. Chri55y

Chri55y Type 2 · Member

If you follow a GI diet you'll find banana, grapes and melon are classes as high what diabetics are looking for are low GI foods

6. mims57

mims57 Type 2 · Member

I was diagnosed last June and given a meter straight away and was told to check all meals for the first three months. Even now if I eat something different I check and I can put in a repeat prescription for testing strips.

7. alisonhe

alisonhe Type 1 · Active Member

8. alisonhe

alisonhe Type 1 · Active Member

I probably do low carb to a certain extent but I have pasta (with a lot of fresh veg) once a week, I suppose I could just give my hubby the pasta and maybe quinoa for me or something - I will check out that book. Thanks so much for the response, it has given me some hope. I also make these health bars which I may have for lunch with a piece of fruit and some raw veg, they are made with mashed banana, nuts, seeds, and oats so maybe/probably quite high carb but very healthy and I love them. How do you find oats - are they something to be avoided?

9. Blip22

Blip22 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oats are great bananna is terrible, if i eat a bananna my BG will go from say 4.4 up to 15 and then crash to below 4.4
    Same with sugar, white rice, corn. What is good is chickpeas ,nuts, green veg ,whole grain bread, lentils, beans.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  10. jenrose

jenrose Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  11. robertconroy

robertconroy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No fresh fruits have a high glycemic load except dried fruit is the worst glycemic load all foods. Don't ask a doctor about nutrition, they have no training and they know nothing about nutrition.

• Like Like x 2
  12. poohtiggy

poohtiggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The only way to really know what you can safely eat is to test before you have the food and test again afterwards. Some people can tolerate foods that would spike other's, I can eat apples, strawberries, raspberries, melon and blueberries (but I don't like them) many on the forum cannot eat apples at all and bananas are the worse fruit for most people here. I used to eat every fruit and lots of it thinking it was doing me good :(

• Like Like x 2
  13. MissPooh

MissPooh Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I thought all berries were good, but blueberries really spike me, I'm working my way through raspberries and blackberries see if they're any better - ohh to the meter Gawd lol

• Like Like x 2
  14. robertconroy

Bananna is about the highest glycemic load at 12.

15. robertconroy

• Like Like x 4
  16. Wildrover

Wildrover Type 2 · Well-Known Member

17. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

18. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

With fruit, the only way to know how they affect YOUR body is to test your BG before and after.

GI and GL are of very limited use. I would use the lists as a starting point and do your own testing.
    I'm fine with berries (including blueberries) but bananas, mango and grapes give me blood glucose spikes that are quite ridiculous.

We each need to find out what works for us.

• Like Like x 4
  19. MissPooh

MissPooh Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm good with raspberries and blackberries still miss my blueberries, the birds are loving them lol

• Like Like x 4
  20. Miss_Dior

Miss_Dior Prediabetes · Active Member

From my limited experience I have the same reax. Whole grain starches are fine (oats, chana dal, cornbread made with no sugar). Grapes send my BGs up there. Even spacing them out on a long walk elevates me.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook