Laughed at for wanting test strips

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Get a new doctor how dare she laugh at you also if medical staff are rude complain change wont happen unless you do, we should not let people get away with unprofessional behaviour, I am very lucky our nurse is amazing however our doctor gave me no information at all but she does order loads of tests if you so much as sneeze in her presence so she is a good doctor on that front.

Reactions: 6 people

JDavey59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP, wonderful as he is, said that he can't prescribe test strips etc, as the PCT guidelines state that Type 2 patients on Metformin shouldn't be prescribed them.

I checked and he is correct. My PCT only advocate prescriptions for self testing materials for Type 1 and Insulin treated Type 2 sufferers.

They quote a study which states that Type 2 sufferers not on Insulin, showed little benefit from self testing.

The NICE guidelines (I checked their site) are broader, stating that Type 2 Sufferers on Glucose lowering medication should self monitor at least annually. Metformin lowers Glucose produced by the liver, so technically is a Glucose lowering medication.

I think it's time that the medical profession stopped hiding behind words, and realised that self testing is not just about preventing Hypo's. It's about patient wellbeing too. Allowing the patient to feel in control is just as important.

I shall now get off of my soapbox.

Reactions: 2 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on Metformin and my GP had the same mentality, saying that I didn't need to test as much as I was doing because the only results she needs are the results from the 3 monthly blood samples. When I turned round and said "yes but my monitor test results aren't for YOU, they are for me, they help me determine what food spikes and which don't".I now get as many as I need on prescription. The thing is, because my overall results have come down considerably since being diagnosed, she couldn't really say that what I was doing was wrong.

Reactions: 4 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
May i suggest if you get 'dweebs' (being cautious how i express myself here) talking to you like this in such a patronizing way you reply with the most appropriate response the world (wayne's world) has ever heard...

and simply walk away. You won any way.

Last edited by a moderator:

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
You're lucky to get a doctor!
Most of us are palmed off on "Nursie Nightshade" the practice nurse.
Sounds just like my diabetes mot. When I asked doctor had student with her. So more a case of 'not interested' to me. Thinking of asking to be referred to the hospital

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How?

I'm on metformin, and as far as I'm aware you can't go low on that med.

(I am prescribed a meter and test strips, due to different meds in the past, and a good practice that knows I use them to test for control of carbs that spike me, getting good control of my HbA1c and working at heights and driving, even though strictly by the book I shouldn't be as I'm off gliclazides now - nothing is simple)
Metformin may not cause hypo`s but it doesn`t prevent them either, it`s perfectly possible to go low when on metformin.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May i suggest if you get 'dweebs' (being cautious how i express myself here) talking to you like this in such a patronizing way you reply with the most appropriate response the world (wayne's world) has ever heard...

and simply walk away. You won any way.
Can't beat a bit of toilet humour in the face of adversity. Another hip to be added to the hall of shame.

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
Thanks chri5. I was told you couldn't have hypo/go low on metformin. But last week on 2 consecutive days I did. One problem on first day..I was at Twycross zoo!! After coffee, sandwich and watching gorillas for 45 minutes I was fine. Frightening experience in though. Second day not so bad thankfully. After that experience I've ordered code free kit and testing strips from Amazon. Thanks for advice which kit + strips to go for from folks on this site

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I received a free Onetouch meter & a few strips & lancets with it to get me going. I went to my GP today & explained I would like to be prescribed strips as I was experiencing hypo like symptoms & needed to test my bg to see if my levels actually were low.
She said Metformin doesn't cause hypos. To which I replied, they may not cause them but it is possible to experience them whilst on Metformin. She actually laughed & said I was only type 2 & only newly diagnosed so I don't need to test. I quoted the Nice guidelines & she said Nice only recommend testing if you're on insulin. Then I told her it says medication, not just insulin & Metformin was a medication.
She sat there & actually laughed at me as if I was stupid. :( I'm fuming. How dare she?
my partners a type 2 diabetic and receives meters ,test strips and lancets free on perscription

Reactions: 4 people

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Get a new doctor how dare she laugh at you also if medical staff are rude complain change wont happen unless you do, we should not let people get away with unprofessional behaviour, I am very lucky our nurse is amazing however our doctor gave me no information at all but she does order loads of tests if you so much as sneeze in her presence so she is a good doctor on that front.
it reminds me when i was told by my gp that i was a type1 diabetic, i went to the practise to collect my first months insulin perscription ,when i took the persciption to the chemist i was given the test strips .lancets and the needles but no insulin,so i returned to my gps asking for the 2 types of insulin,the receptionist shouted at me saying we dont give that to everyone ie insulin i explained that im a diabetic she said weve no record of that , i said hell the doctor surgery manager even told me to stop pestering them for insulin then the doctor who told me i was a diabetic arrived seems he hadnt put the info on my file.

K

Kat100

Thanks chri5. I was told you couldn't have hypo/go low on metformin. But last week on 2 consecutive days I did. One problem on first day..I was at Twycross zoo!! After coffee, sandwich and watching gorillas for 45 minutes I was fine. Frightening experience in though. Second day not so bad thankfully. After that experience I've ordered code free kit and testing strips from Amazon. Thanks for advice which kit + strips to go for from folks on this site
It is my understanding that SR will,not cause hypos .. But normal metfirmin will , and of course you can have hypos and hyper at any time ... And health depends on what other medications you take ... It's a hard balance at times ... Best wishes .. Kat

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is my understanding that SR will,not cause hypos .. But normal metfirmin will , and of course you can have hypos and hyper at any time ... And health depends on what other medications you take ... It's a hard balance at times ... Best wishes .. Kat
Or exercise!

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
If you don't miss meals you can go too low, if you do heavy work or exercise you can too low on Metformin and so if you do both together then you are much more likely to and I know that from my meter readings and how I felt even though my DN says that Metformin is very mild and that hypos are not a problem. I have felt like I was having a hypo and the meter read between 3.0 and 4.0 so would not be a good idea to drive without testing and so I buy my own test strips but the nurse took me off Metformin and so hypos are no problem atm but my fasting blood sugars are higher than I would like them to be. My DN also laughed at me when I said I tested, I still do test fasting so I can see if my morning levels are going up or not. I was not well a few weeks ago and they went up to 9.8 before breakfast and in the teens. I had bad stomach pains and was taking antibiotics. My doctor spoke to me on the phone and said 'well your blood sugars are okay' but that was going by non fasting blood test a couple of weeks before. I don't like to be in the dark especially when I don't have much confidence in my DN.

Reactions: 8 people

Emjay1581

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told same thing that as a type 2 no need to test. I told my nurse I would like one in order to keep a record of my own. Luckily she contacted Diabetes Nurse in the area that saw me today and said the same thing but gave me a monitor and a few lancets and strips. How is anybody suppose to control this if you have no idea what ur working with!!

vinylandtrinkets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i am mortified that gp's & practice nurses are doign this to patients , regardless of whether your type 1 or 2 you need to be able to monitor you bs,
im type 2 and thats the firsst thing my gp gave me a monitor to keep track, along with the pills of course, how are you supposed to know if your managing your insulin ? and if someone in the medical profession tells you that you can not have hypos/hypers on metformin they dont have a clue because you can, this is another reason you need the monitors. oh my god im speechless

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
How sad that your GP actually laughed at what you said :( I am type 2 and was given strips etc as a matter of course :)

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Hi i got my good news last week type 2 not on meds my gp told me i dont need to self test so how am i going to see whats good for me and whats not , for example had porridge for breakfast last two mornings but that sent my bs to 8.5 so had shredded wheat this morning bs when to 19.4 felt awful plus i drive hgv for a living so i use my mates old machine.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Think you need revisit the docs and tell them of you fluctuating levels maybe need some medication to try sort the high levels out :confused: