Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On reflection I can't in all honesty claim to be following the ND stringently. I'm following my own interpretation which is very much a VLCD, I'm hungry almost all the time. I have a shake every few days in the morning (for nutrients, I like the idea of calling it medicine @Pipp) but have home made smoothies or salad during the day. I eat more protein than on ND but virtually no carbohydrate and drink lots of water. The first few days were tricky and I didn't excercise for over a week as I felt quite strange. However, the weight is now dropping, I feel amazingly healthy and fit and have so much energy. Best of all my BG readings have dropped into normal ranges which feels like a real achievement. I love the feeling of taking control of my body, wish I had been this motivated a long time ago. This has been a wake up call for me, my mind has focussed and I feel very positive going forward. My downfall is definitely carbohydrate and I've always known it makes me feel less than brilliant to overeat and I'm cross with myself that it has taken this to shock me into action.

Your healthy diet @Indy51 is, I think the way to go forward, you say it's a work in progress, I think it has to become a new way of life. When I look at unhealthy food I now think about how much better I'm feeling without it. I know I'm going to lapse but hopefully keeping low BG is going to remain my top priority.
I was very very slow to make the links to carbs too. I was so bogged down with other life events that I did not question the advice from nurse to eat lots of starchy carb and low fat, when I first start to gain weight. I plodded on slavishly following that advice for several years. Then when the weight gain continued despite me following the advice and I got the T2 diagnosis it was deemed to be my fault for gaining so much weight. I still feel some anger at those wasted years, and applaud the people who have steered me towards adopting a low carb lifestyle. The ND with meal replacements 'fixed' my erratic BG levels. I still need to fix the weight loss. Hence occasional use of meal replacements now that the T2 seems tamed, but I have a long way to go. I will never again adopt the starchy carb diet, and having got used to eating veg in a variety of ways this will be the base to build a new eating regime for me.

I emphasise to anyone thinking of ND with meal replacement shakes, it is only a temporary eating plan, and it is essential to have in place a sustainable regime for life when the initial 'starvation' mode is completed.

Reactions: 2 people

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI Brettsza

I'm finding the same thing. Also have had a buttery taste on my tongue for the past couple of days which is making everything taste odd. Hope someone can suggest something.

@Steve50

Watch out for the "Sugar Free" Myntz! if you were thinking they could take away the buttery taste they have Sorbitol which is sugar! Kudos to you on the weight loss for you too.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Thanks LBB. Taste still there:(. Dont want to suck on anything because that creeps towards the 'always something in the mouth' problem that probably got me here in the first place.

Do you think anyone will come up with a sugar free wine tasting mouthwash?

mohanankur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Want to start this diet, recently diagnosed. The only issue is that I am too thin. 36 yo, 32 Waist, 63 KG, and 5.7 Height, Indian. Any tips on how you manage work while on this diet? Like travelling to work in train etc?

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks LBB. Taste still there:(. Dont want to suck on anything because that creeps towards the 'always something in the mouth' problem that probably got me here in the first place.

@Steve50

Not sure if they will come up with the solution, but you never know they may

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Want to start this diet, recently diagnosed. The only issue is that I am too thin. 36 yo, 32 Waist, 63 KG, and 5.7 Height, Indian. Any tips on how you manage work while on this diet? Like travelling to work in train etc?

Google "Richard Doughty". He did a piece in the UK's Guardian & Daily Mail. He was almost rail thin too. He got away from T2D too.

mohanankur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Living-by-the-beach:, Thank You a lot.

This guy (Dr Jason Fung) in Canada also refers to ND and seems to follow the same fasting thing as the principle. I am going to do either this one or ND starting May (as I have GP Appointment end of this month).

I am in no way associated with this guy. I thought us with ND Diet in mind will find this interesting as this is also about regular intermittent fasting.

I will not spoil this thread more (unless I start ND soon) and introduce myself first in new members.

All the best to ND diet guys, you are truly inspiring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Living-by-the-beach:, Thank You a lot.

This guy (Dr Jason Fung) in Canada also refers to ND and seems to follow the same fasting thing as the principle. I am going to do either this one or ND starting May (as I have GP Appointment end of this month).

I am in no way associated with this guy. I thought us with ND Diet in mind will find this interesting as this is also about regular intermittent fasting.

I will not spoil this thread more (unless I start ND soon) and introduce myself first in new members.

All the best to ND diet guys, you are truly inspiring.

@mohanankur

Personally I have embraced Dr Jason Fung too. I don't eat in the mornings and "Break my fast" around 11am - 1 pm. I got an email from Professor Taylor and he said "Its all about calorie intake just try and cut back". I am now off 55lbs from worst level so I am getting quite buff too.

mohanankur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Living-by-the-beach Right. I see. Its Great to know you are in direct touch with Professor Taylor, I was wondering if you know if there any new trial Professor is planning to conduct? Like is Professor actively still looking for a solution?

Alpaca

I was very very slow to make the links to carbs too. I was so bogged down with other life events that I did not question the advice from nurse to eat lots of starchy carb and low fat, when I first start to gain weight. I plodded on slavishly following that advice for several years. Then when the weight gain continued despite me following the advice and I got the T2 diagnosis it was deemed to be my fault for gaining so much weight. I still feel some anger at those wasted years, and applaud the people who have steered me towards adopting a low carb lifestyle. The ND with meal replacements 'fixed' my erratic BG levels. I still need to fix the weight loss. Hence occasional use of meal replacements now that the T2 seems tamed, but I have a long way to go. I will never again adopt the starchy carb diet, and having got used to eating veg in a variety of ways this will be the base to build a new eating regime for me.

I emphasise to anyone thinking of ND with meal replacement shakes, it is only a temporary eating plan, and it is essential to have in place a sustainable regime for life when the initial 'starvation' mode is completed.
I'm with you on the 'life events' thing, but I've always been able to kid myself certain foods were healthy when actually they were not, or not in large quantities, probably for the first time I'm being really honest with myself about what I eat, a health warning is quite a shock. Food is always my 'go to' in times of stress. It's going to be a hard slog in future but I'd rather be healthy with a good quality of life. The ND diet, or my version, is pretty brutal at first but weaning myself off it seems a scary prospect at the moment, it's a strange sort of security knowing exactly what to eat to keep BG steady, I'm sure it won't be long before it becomes very boring! Excercise is a big factor as well to feel good. My DN said that if you eat too much try and excercise it off, probably pretty good advice.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@mohanankur You and me are very similar. No weight issues and t2 diagnosis at an early age as I am 34 now.
I am on week 5 now and you will find a lot of members on here who are presently doing or have recently completed ND
Interesting to see you have already researched Dr. Fung's video. What he says sounds good and as you have seen @Living-by-the-beach is following it so I suggest you read around as much as you can before taking a decision whether you want to go with IF or ND.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

NIce one steve

I wish we could have a glass or two but unfortunately gotta wait till the end of the diet.
What @Pipp recommended try doing them one by one see what makes you feel better
I do have the mint tea too but I put fresh mint, crushed a little with hands and a slice of lemon
Sometime I do the same thing with sparkling water too and tastes nice
Good for stomach as well as its cool I think

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Google "Richard Doughty". He did a piece in the UK's Guardian & Daily Mail. He was almost rail thin too. He got away from T2D too.
I sometimes really wonder if we could know what his current status is like, lucky chap coz he only did it for 11 days I think wasnt it.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dr Fung's video has answered my earlier question about 'how to know when you are cured'. It's when you can stay off the meds and remain within the normal range of bloods. It is not as simple as the number of weeks on the ND. Not trying to shorten the ordeal - it may be that people need longer than 8 weeks - I guess that depends on where you are starting from. I know I have a bit to go yet - only got my first 4.2 reading this morning.

I also think you have to 'trick' your own metabolism. I started on the 5:2 and lost a heap of weight (15kg) - but then stalled for a few weeks - so started the ND - now lost another 6kg. Maybe when bloods settle I might try the HFLC. Sounds like my kind of diet anyway - very blokey!

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Living-by-the-beach Right. I see. Its Great to know you are in direct touch with Professor Taylor, I was wondering if you know if there any new trial Professor is planning to conduct? Like is Professor actively still looking for a solution?

@mohanankur

I have no clue about new trials but there's more to be gained by the moral support on this website than help you need from Prof Taylor. The knowledge is out there. I live 6000+ miles away from Newcastle, however I did get a couple of emails from Taylor. He is genuinely concerned about public health (en masse).

As for solutions the Jonas Salk Institute http://www.salk.edu/ra/diabetes.html are working for a solution too. They also did a study on time limited diets (= fasting A la Dr Jason Fung) and discovered if you eat during less time during the day you'll lose weight too given the same amount of food..

@brettsza You can email / contact Richard Doughty via his website . www.reversingtype2diabetes.com , He has put up a update to his health there..

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to ask such a stupid question but what would be your fat threshold? Healthy BMI or what.
He talks about achieving 4 to 6 mmol and eat carbs as per nhs I don't think I can do that anymore even if I am not diabetic.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry to ask such a stupid question but what would be your fat threshold? Healthy BMI or what.
He talks about achieving 4 to 6 mmol and eat carbs as per nhs I don't think I can do that anymore even if I am not diabetic.
Well he had a height of 170cm, and went from 66.68 at his diagnosis to 56.7 when he was declared healthy. That is 10kgs on quite a small frame.

But should you not just go as far down as you possible can? I am 188cm and at new years eve 2013, I weighed 110 kg. now I weigh 73, and I can see my sixpack. I just focused on getting a flat stomach, and remove my tummy. For me waistsize should be more important than bmi per say, but I could not lose 37 more kgs at my current weight of course. Just get down to a level you feel comfortable with.

But here is a crazy example there are two twins ,the Daly twins in boston USA. One of them got diagnosed in 1996 with diabetes at 5.10 feet, and 220 pounds. The lighter one, was at 200 pounds, did not have diabetes. That is just a difference of 20 pounds between having diabetes and not!
The slimmer one went to a diabetes prevention program and still does not have diabetes, the heavier one has it still.

If you watch from 20:20 minutes in this video you will see the twins and their story,

And here is article about them

http://www.wbur.org/npr/122104219

Personal fat threshold is apparently very personal, but remember a man can be perfectly healthy at 6% percent bodyfat, a women should be substanstially higher but you get the drift. Also, if you have 20 pounds of muscle it is a big difference. If had trained with weights every day since i was 15, I could probably have weighed around 20 pounds heavier, but i did not, so here I am, a slender frame, mostly skin and bones

Reactions: 5 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Steve50 what do you think then in that case your levels should be like and are you on medications at the moment or not.
HI brettsza
Still on meds for now. But I know I have some way to go. My levels need to be within 4 - 7 (which they are) but it is more to do with resistance. I think I need to have a glucose resistance test, some time after I am off the meds - and my blood readings stabalise. Going to give it a few more weeks. No rush.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 18 - no more weight loss. It's been 3 days now. Have plateaued - again!. Bloods back up to 5.2.