Whoop! Whoop! Low Carb Success!

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG test before Christmas came in at 6.2 mmol/l; it scared the bejesus out of me. Adopted a lowish carb diet (varies between 70-90-odd grams of carbohydrate per day) in the new year and had new FBG done yesterday: 5.1 mmol/l. Yay! Have also lost half a stone (was 8.5, so nowhere near overweight).

It's been remarkably easy. I really like making stuff from the American website www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com - the coffee and walnut muffins are ace (although I make them as mini buns) and the peanut butter brownie bites go down a treat with my kids (I scale them up to bake in a shallow bun / jam tart tin).

Together with the bettering in cholesterol levels which I recently posted about I feel that this might keep the inevitable diabetes away for a few more years.

Wouldn't have known about the LCHF thing without lurking obsessively on these forums so many thanks to all of you.

Best wishes

Jo

Reactions: 6 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Congratulations hose,great news.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done you :) Its not t he easiest adopting this diet with a family, but can be done as you are proof :D That's a great site, thanks for the link :) I love baking and experimenting with new recipes, so appreciate a new source :D

Signy

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you :D

I'm accumulating an impressive array of A4 folders of print offs. But at least I now have the space because I donated a massive amount of cookbooks I collected over the years to a charity shop :D Mu h as I hate parting with books !

Signy

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where are you from, Signy? Your name sounds delightfully Scandinavian...

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG test before Christmas came in at 6.2 mmol/l; it scared the bejesus out of me. Adopted a lowish carb diet (varies between 70-90-odd grams of carbohydrate per day) in the new year and had new FBG done yesterday: 5.1 mmol/l. Yay! Have also lost half a stone (was 8.5, so nowhere near overweight).

It's been remarkably easy. I really like making stuff from the American website www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com - the coffee and walnut muffins are ace (although I make them as mini buns) and the peanut butter brownie bites go down a treat with my kids (I scale them up to bake in a shallow bun / jam tart tin).

Together with the bettering in cholesterol levels which I recently posted about I feel that this might keep the inevitable diabetes away for a few more years.

Wouldn't have known about the LCHF thing without lurking obsessively on these forums so many thanks to all of you.

Best wishes

Jo
it's far from inevitable for you as a pre-diabetic.. you have a 60% chance of never getting it..
going low carb has greatly increased the odds against it too. you have reset the clock and it may never strike 12

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is ! :D I'm half Norwegian, half Scot ! :D

Signy

Hej! Det er meget hyggeligt at møde dig. (Jeg taler ikker norsk, men jeg lærer dansk.) Kender du websidenwww.lowcarb.dk? Hendes e-bog Julelækkerier er meget god. Der findes der en opskrift på brød, som jeg kan godt lide.

And with luck, your Norwegian side will be able to cope with all that :)

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
it's far from inevitable for you as a pre-diabetic.. you have a 60% chance of never getting it..
going low carb has greatly increased the odds against it too. you have reset the clock and it may never strike 12

Two pregnancies with insulin-dependent gestational diabetes despite keeping carb portions right down means that it is, unfortunately, pretty inevitable. I also already have one autoimmune illness (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis) and have a BMI of about 21. Even before Christmas, when I weighed in at a 'hefty' 8.5 stone I was running three times per week and had a carb intake of about 140g / day. So to be prediabetic with that background I think I'm probably less insulin resistant, more not producing enough.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope that isn't the case for you, I don't know what the progression rate is from gestational D

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hej! Det er meget hyggeligt at møde dig. (Jeg taler ikker norsk, men jeg lærer dansk.) Kender du websidenwww.lowcarb.dk? Hendes e-bog Julelækkerier er meget god. Der findes der en opskrift på brød, som jeg kan godt lide.

And with luck, your Norwegian side will be able to cope with all that :)

Hei ! Språkene er like ! Takk for nettsted link , en oppskrift på brød er bra! Jeg snakker bedre engelsk enn norsk som du kan se ! :D Jeg leste det bedre enn a snakke det :rolleyes:

Signy

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Way to go, Jo! Congratulations on your success. I am trying to persuade my family to join in a lower carb way of living and it is a challenge. You are an inspiration!

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Way to go, Jo! Congratulations on your success. I am trying to persuade my family to join in a lower carb way of living and it is a challenge. You are an inspiration!

My family are still eating the higher carb way: I wouldn't dream of asking them to make such a change for no good reason. It's not them with the abnormal blood sugars, it's me. They work around me, and I work around them. Large sections of family meals are the same for them and me, and then they deviate off to a low carb option for me. I think Jenny Ruhl in Low Carb 101 says something along the lines of there being no real reason for people without abnormal blood sugars to opt for a low carb diet as they can control their weight and hunger easily.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My family are still eating the higher carb way: I wouldn't dream of asking them to make such a change for no good reason. It's not them with the abnormal blood sugars, it's me. They work around me, and I work around them. Large sections of family meals are the same for them and me, and then they deviate off to a low carb option for me. I think Jenny Ruhl in Low Carb 101 says something along the lines of there being no real reason for people without abnormal blood sugars to opt for a low carb diet as they can control their weight and hunger easily.

True, Hose. While I don't expect my family to follow the LCHF way of living, I also feel that minimizing pasta, potatoes, and rice aren't going to cause them any nutritional deficit, so I do. To be honest, I never served them much anyway, so they haven't even noticed. Now, if I were to eliminate sweet treats, they would petition for a new mom. :p My son especially.

While I don't want to voice or even hint to issues at my kids, I think it is good to be mindful and set them up for success. My kids (girls especially) will inherit their fair share of my endocrine system, with my PCOS struggles, and if I can steer them toward healthier choices now, I will. I wish my mom had known about PCOS when I was a teen, because back in the 70's and 80's, it was always a protein, starch, vegetable, and dessert at every dinner. I craved carbs/sweets without a clue as to why. It was a vicious cycle and I didn't even understand it until I was in my 20's.

I don't want them to be 43 years old, post-gestational diabetes x3, and four months into a T2 diagnosis...if I can help them now. Plus, my DH is a carbaholic, so there is no chance that chips and such will never grace our door. We balance each other out. ;)

Best of luck and continued success!

Reactions: 2 people