Ratios

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering how often do people have to change their ratios?

I've been eating the same breakfast and lunch for about 2 months now with perfect sugars. Suddenly the last 4 days I've gone low after lunch everyday. Also had afew just before lunch in the last couple of weeks. Haven't changed routine at all. What can make you suddenly less resistant to insulin?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Probably worth checking that your basal insulin is set at the right dose (do some basal checks), if its fine then look at your I:C ratio.

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's normal to have to check your basal rate and ratios every few months, or certainly if you start seeing odd results.

Reactions: 2 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to be updating my basal rate with the seasons.

My bolus ratio has changes a couple times as well.

I would think the main thing that would effect your ratios (besides coming off your honeymoon) would be changes in you weight. Adding or dropping even a couple pounds can mean more or less insulin is needed. Also I would think preceding this would changes in metabolism as well.

Also stress and emotion can effect some peoples levels.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Changes in weight will change your basal demand, and your correction ratio most of all. In principle they should not change your carb ratio.
Increasing or decreasing your level of exercise will increase or decrease your insulin sensitivity. This will change all your rates and ratios.
And as Diammatic said, the seasons (the average temperature) will affect your basal level. More in cold weather, less in hot weather.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Spiker - Good to know weight change doesn't effect carb ratios! I was under impression it did, but I trust you more then me right now lol

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Spiker - Good to know weight change doesn't effect carb ratios! I was under impression it did, but I trust you more then me right now lol
Well let's say "shouldn't" - nothing is certain in this game. I'm just answering from a T1 point of view.
For a T2 weight is likely to correlate to insulin resistance, so all ratios and rates are affected.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering how often do people have to change their ratios?

I've been eating the same breakfast and lunch for about 2 months now with perfect sugars. Suddenly the last 4 days I've gone low after lunch everyday. Also had afew just before lunch in the last couple of weeks. Haven't changed routine at all. What can make you suddenly less resistant to insulin?
This happened to me. Are you more active? Whatever, perhaps you've just become more insulin sensitive. That's nice, once you've adjusted.

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I had a low in the night and still woke up a bit on the low side so
I guess that means it's probably my long acting

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well I had a low in the night and still woke up a bit on the low side so
I guess that means it's probably my long acting

May well be, but they say you shouldn't make adjustments to your insulin going from one experience, tonight do some basal checks and test 2 hourly through the night and if your bg levels drop throughout the night then its likely that your basal insulin needs reduced.

I had a hypo (3.2) this morning 2 hours postprandial, don't know why as I've done nothing out of the ordinary and I've weighed my breakfast (50g of carbs) and bolused accordingly (4.85 units after waking on 5.0mmol), I'll not make adjustments but will wait to see what tomorrow morning brings and test more frequent, sometimes low bg can happen for no rhyme or reason and its one if the frustrating aspects of living with type 1 diabetes.

Reactions: 5 people

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is frustrating. The night one doesn't bother me so much as its a one off. It's the after lunch ones that happened past 4 days in a row that are making me anxious. I will lower my lunch ratio a little for today as I'm at college and don't want to risk a low in class!

Reactions: 2 people

rahul991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hate eating food with better taste.
it happens buddy better get away from low carbs and sweets n,.