Feeling very belittled by the pharmacist

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Oh bum, I didn't know that. Oh well, I have the spare now, so if either of them go wrong, I'll know what to do.

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hope your feeling better today, how horrible, this member of staff needs training in customer care, they are quite clearly in the wrong job, with a clear head write your letter and I hope Lloyds sorts this out.

Having type 1 is overwhelming in itself trying to remember everything and one mistake is easily made, I've had tons of mistakes from my pharmacy, more than I can count in my head in fact a mistake is made almost every other time I collect a prescription but as the staff and are so kind it really is never a problem, caring people is what makes this so bearable at times, hope you get a positive outcome :)

Reactions: 6 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're very lucky. When I was looking to buy a spare meter, I came across the Accu-check and then saw the price of the cartridges:(. I settled for a Codefree, as it's only going to be the spare and the strips are inexpensive. My gp's dsn is a treasure and I think I could probably persuade her to increase my strips to 200 in a few months time. I started out with only 100..................

I rang up Roche a good year & a half back when my old meter was packing up.. They offered me the mobile for free after a general discussion on lifestyle, tech knowledge & sent me the Mobile the following day.. After checking with my nurse on the availability of the cartriges. I rang em again for a spare. After discussing "risk assesment" in the eventuality of breaking a device used more regularly than a mobile phone. They curriered me a spare free A-C Mobile & a natty black leather phone style case for it too...
I can't knock the company.. Though it does help if you can blagg a little "Del Boy" German into the conversation... :p

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I've obviously got to become a bit more "savvy" (s a v v y) . I've now learned that the meter companies are happy to give away meters as it's the strips that make them a fortune. I have to admit that Menarini who supplied my meter (GlucoMen LX Plus) have been very good in providing me a spare battery, a snazzy meter cover, a new finger pricker and a usb cable to hook up the meter to the pc all for free - not even charging p & p. Nitwit here didn't think to ask them for a spare meter as well !!:banghead:

Reactions: 5 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It all came to a head with my last chemist when she tried to offer me an alternative for the reusable Novo pen on the script (she said they don't do anymore.) which was useless with the novorapid cartridges I was prescribed.. The chemist was adamant this was the way forward. I pointed out it was a little like trying to put diesel in a petrol engine.. I also pointed out she has a duty to dispense/action what is on the prescription.. & Novo Nordisk as a company still thrive & produce this product.. Lol

After speaking with my D nurse.. She expressed concern regarding my "usual chemist" mentioning there had been similar comments from other patients of this nature....
My new chemist after a brief chat on the subject said "any issues regarding availability. We contact the surgery."

If you do change chemist? Make sure you have an up to date valid medical exemption certificate...!! (It's like a white NHS logo'd credit card.)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I'm fortunate that my gp practice has its own pharmacy, so I don't have to find a 'friendly' chemist. Also, I don't need an exemption card as all my scripts are now free due to being a certain age:(

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm fortunate that my gp practice has its own pharmacy, so I don't have to find a 'friendly' chemist. Also, I don't need an exemption card as all my scripts are now free due to being a certain age:(

Lol, my troublesome pharmacy was on the front of my surgery..!!
To be honest the "chemist" (no matter what time of the week I pick up.) always looks like she's thrown herself together after a rough night of partying..? That's why I tended to give her a little leeway... No wonder she can't be srsed to order anything in..

Reactions: 6 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Oh dear, that put a smile on my face at the thought of her dishevelled appearance. How do people hold down a serious position dispensing drugs when they take no notice of what they look like? Doesn't instill confidence does it?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Disgraceful behaviour by the pharmacy, do make sure you make a complaint to head office.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear, that put a smile on my face at the thought of her dishevelled appearance. How do people hold down a serious position dispensing drugs when they take no notice of what they look like? Doesn't instill confidence does it?

I almost get the impression she'd been "self dispensing" a "cocktail" of her own drugs... I suppose she is "qualified".. ;)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I hope she wasn't otherwise she could be struck off.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope she wasn't otherwise she could be struck off.

People make their own choices in the "down time".. Do they random drug test in the pharmacy proffession??
I certainly had enough experience of people like this (due to my music background.) to put her on the radar.

C

catherinecherub

I had a bad experience at Lloyds pharmacy today. I admit I screwed up a little. For several reasons, including massively changing insulin requirements, I did not get my repeat prescription ordered in time with enough of a safety net to ensure that I do not run out early next week. So I thought I would ask at the pharmacy, where I collect my repeat prescription, for and advance on my prescription/emergency prescription. I have never had to do this before. I am normally very organised. I was immediately met with a lecture on how I should be more organised and threats of being fined by having to pay the full private costs of insulin. I was so angry and upset. They made me feel like I was 5 years old (though I would speak to a young child with far more respect and compassion). I did point out that I have never screwed up before, that I don't intend on making a habit of it and juggling 7 prescriptions that all run out at different times, whilst working full time, travelling a lot for work, raising a 5 year old child, and several disasters this week I have had to deal with, is VERY difficult, which had no effect whatsoever. The threats of fine were repeated and I was told I was only allowed one mistake in my life (NHS policy apparently). I admit I kind of shouted a bit at that point and was essentially told that writing additional prescriptions is wasteful and I am a drain on the NHS. I left (with my insulin) but shaking uncontrollable and in tears.
I am having a really tough time controlling my diabetes and am feeling drained and down generally, I am just about hanging on in there by the skin of my teeth. This mornings confrontation has put me in an emotional tail spin. I have spent the day in bed just crying. I can just about handle all life throws at me, but not the shi££y attitudes of officious jobsworths who are meant to help us. Why can't people show more compassion. SHAME ON YOU LLOYDS!!!!!!!

Back on track please.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a good shout about it, and quite right too. Bang out of order. I complained to Lloyds management about mistakes they made and now customers are asked to complete a "satisfaction" form. I tried switching my prescription (statins) to another branch but they couldn't handle it.
Absolutely not your fault and you're obviously doing a grand job coping with a very demanding life.
(French accent) I spit in ze general direction of your chemist.
Thank you Deejay, you have given me a much needed chuckle!

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Flakey,

When I was discharged from hospital and sent on my way to manage things for myself, I was advised to order more insulin when there were two unused pens remaining. So, if I were to lose a pen and one of the remaining pens was dud then I would still have a spare in reserve.

I use the Patient Access prescription ordering system and can check whether my medication request has been accepted. I still allow 5 working days for The Health Centre and Boots to get themselves organised. I usually receive a text when my stuff is available for collection.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
IThe threats of fine were repeated and I was told I was only allowed one mistake in my life (NHS policy apparently). I admit I kind of shouted a bit at that point and was essentially told that writing additional prescriptions is wasteful and I am a drain on the NHS. I left (with my insulin) but shaking uncontrollable and in tears.

That's just inexcusable in my opinion Flakey Bake. I hope you feel better today and don't take it to heart.

I know that I might be out of line with this comment and admittedly it's just a hunch. My guess is that you are somewhat overweight (like me) and the Pharmacist in question just assumed that you were T2. Unfortunately T2's get treated like a piece of **** all the time. :arghh: If you were thin then you may have been treated completely differently. Sorry for the assumptions. :oops:

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's just inexcusable in my opinion Flakey Bake. I hope you feel better today and don't take it to heart.

I know that I might be out of line with this comment and admittedly it's just a hunch. My guess is that you are somewhat overweight (like me) and the Pharmacist in question just assumed that you were T2. Unfortunately T2's get treated like a piece of **** all the time. :arghh: If you were thin then you may have been treated completely differently. Sorry for the assumptions. :oops:
You are very astute Uart. Yes I am overweight and I have been all my adult life, despite an active, hard working, good living lifestyle :-(. The only time I was a "healthy" weight was just before I diagnosed, I had dropped 4 stone in weight, very quickly, with no effort. Despite that obvious type 1 symptom, my GP insisted I was type 2 because I was fat. After 2 years of struggling to control my blood glucose and literally starving myself to keep my sugars down, I begged for insulin and was finally referred to hospital where they the full range of tests, Low and behold, I am Type 1. I was ridiculously relieved, it wasn't my fault anymore. I have lived on the other side and my heart goes out to the type 2s, who faced with so much discrimination every day.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Flakey,

When I was discharged from hospital and sent on my way to manage things for myself, I was advised to order more insulin when there were two unused pens remaining. So, if I were to lose a pen and one of the remaining pens was dud then I would still have a spare in reserve.

I use the Patient Access prescription ordering system and can check whether my medication request has been accepted. I still allow 5 working days for The Health Centre and Boots to get themselves organised. I usually receive a text when my stuff is available for collection.
Hi Ambersilva, I normal do order well ahead of time. I just got caught out this time. I am pathologically organised and get very stressed when I let things slide or miss deadlines. One mistake in four years of diabetes! That is why I was so upset because I try so hard to be organised.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Just to round up the loose sheep of reason.. Wrong assumptions can also be made that a patient is type one due to the prescribed insulin.;)

The pharmacist would have been an **** if it was just an order of sticking plasters.