FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

finney

So my next sensor (on my thigh) has also left a nasty red rash. Looks like, 6 sensors in, my body has decided it doesn't like the Libre and that I'll be getting these rashes every time now. First ones were absolutely fine and didn't leave so much as a small mark. Annoying. The rashes are not painful or itchy, just really red and unsightly. Not sure if I should see my GP or just keep going on? Does anyone know the latest advice? I'm on holiday now but will try the compeed/bio oil suggestion when back home. Hopefully that will help.

I had to change my dodgy sensor after two hours the other day and was surprised to see a nasty red semi circle the shape of half a sensor. It made me wonder if that would have turned nasty or become a bruise if the sensor wasn't removed. I am now wondering if that red ring was the start of a bruise caused by holding it too hard onto my skin, before firing the very strong spring . Could that nasty mark have become red and raw, like some are experiencing? I shall phone and ask in the hope that I can understand the helpful operator

HaroldC

Part of me finds it amusing how the cheap Libre's faults point people at the very expensive Dexcom as a replacement. In fact, Dexcom could say that the Libre was the best marketing tool they've had for a while.
How many here, after using the Libre have found the benefits of CGM, but can't continue with Libre, so switched to Dexcom?
(btw Dexcom running cost is cheaper than Libre because you can extend the sensor life)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
(btw Dexcom running cost is cheaper than Libre because you can extend the sensor life)
We've done some analysis of the Dexcom costs. Based on an average usage of four weeks per sensor, you have to own one for two years to see any kind of savings, and those only come through in the second year. Even then the two year cost of the Dexcom is higher than the Libre, so this is a bit of a fallacy. We've asked many people from within and without the forum to get the length of time a sensor lasts, and those getting > three weeks are very much in the minority, so even these assumptions have a flaw. Details of the analysis are here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cgm-fgm-price-comparison.75106/

While I might have looked at other CGM systems, the cost of those is too high for me to really switch. The next step, as far as I am concerned, would be to get a CGM integrated pump.

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Part of me finds it amusing how the cheap Libre's faults point people at the very expensive Dexcom as a replacement. In fact, Dexcom could say that the Libre was the best marketing tool they've had for a while.
How many here, after using the Libre have found the benefits of CGM, but can't continue with Libre, so switched to Dexcom?

I have been looking into the dexcom also as I am finding the accuracy of the libre a bit questionable. I've had some really good days with it but most of the time I'm frustrated. My last 2 sensors have had issues and I'm hoping sensor 3 is better. Libre replaced the last 2 as they both had issues. Has anybody used both the dexcom and the libre and has a preference?

The libre looks a lot more user friendly but I am pricking more now to check its accuracy!

HaroldC

I used the Libre before Christmas. I now use the Dexcom. The Dexcom is calibrated whenever you feel like doing a finger prick test (and HAS to be 2x daily). It's VERY much more expensive kit. If you ignore startup cost, and can get their weekly sensors to last 17 days then they're the same price. (Big if). I find I can get a sensor to last 20 days if I don't shake it too much, don't sleep on it, keep it free (usually wear a waistcoat) , and secure the edges first with a wipe of "skin tak", and then cover with tegaderm.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've a feeling that my current sensor might actually be my worst one yet. The extent of the difference from BG level has been huge in one or two cases, the largest variance being 107% away. In other words, the sensor was reading more than 2x the value on the fingerprick. Repeatedly, the variance has gone from 20% to 65%.

As you'd expect, Abbott are replacing the sensor, but this is proving to be a particularly bad example.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I've a feeling that my current sensor might actually be my worst one yet. The extent of the difference from BG level has been huge in one or two cases, the largest variance being 107% away. In other words, the sensor was reading more than 2x the value on the fingerprick. Repeatedly, the variance has gone from 20% to 65%.

As you'd expect, Abbott are replacing the sensor, but this is proving to be a particularly bad example.
Have you checked the error log on your reader, my last sensor was really inaccurate and there was loads of errors in the log

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How about the skin? The only one I've had that was anything like that bad was the one where it ate a big hole in my arm...
I'm waiting for the next sensor to arrive, then I will be investigating whether I have "Hole in arm" syndrome...

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still yet to receive an email letting me buy the starter pack.

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Wow never checked Error log before, but mine has a lot of errors in it, especially Er0 2003. Is this normal?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Hill28 - I've had a number of those - might not really be an error - info, warnings and errors are all reported through same mechanism. I've been getting a lot of Er0 3219 at the moment. No idea what it means though.

Amidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I've had a few like that. I think I'm immune to it now and ignore it if it's within 2 mmol of my mobile even if it's random. Current one has been soot on sometimes but 2mmol or more out on either direction at other times.

Smidge

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've an interesting observation on this sensor. As I've mentioned, it has been running quite a long way from good, however, I was suspicious that this might be due to a reaction. Over the last couple of days, I've been taking anti-histamines for hay fever, and have discovered that during the 5-7 hours post taking them, the sensor accuracy realigns with that of the fingerprick tests. They then seem to go their separate ways.

So for me, at least, it seems that the sensor reaction is ameliorated by the use of Anti-Histamines. I'm looking forward (sort of) to getting the replacement and taking this one off to see what remains of my arm underneath...

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@tim2000s When I had the reaction (when it was bad, at least), it definitely affected the accuracy... Actually, it was the only time I've ever had really "wild" readings. Am slightly concerned that I might, after almost six months, be starting to react *through* the compeed.