Out of Curiosity thread, an update ?

M

mrspuddleduck

For what is worth, I think the term lurker will put new people of posting and worse still put new people off starting to post at all. Although I know the term is widely used on the internet, many of the people who join this forum don't use the internet as regularly as others and therefore won't have an understanding of its 'internet meaning' rather than its rather unsavoury 'in the real world' association which is hardly welcoming.. How about just including them with the newcomers?? Sue x

Reactions: 3 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
For what is worth, I think the term lurker will put new people of posting and worse still put new people off starting to post at all. Although I know the term is widely used on the internet, many of the people who join this forum don't use the internet as regularly as others and therefore won't have an understanding of its 'internet meaning' rather than its rather unsavoury 'in the real world' association which is hardly welcoming.. How about just including them with the newcomers?? Sue x
Thanks for the feedback @mrspuddleduck - I can see how this would put a few people off and we were indeed a little hasty with implementing the new titles and perhaps didn't consider the potential to offend. I'll remove that rank altogether and include it with Newbie :)

Reactions: 4 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a newcomer, but it seems a tad unfair to me that long term and helpful posters have had their 'legend' status removed. I'd personally like to see that restored at whatever posting level it was before.

Thanks for removing 'lurker', I don't think anyone liked that.

Reactions: 7 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst I will miss my Legend title, I am happy that sense has prevailed and that terrible Lurker title has gone, can you tell us what other titles you have in mind to fill the gap.

Reactions: 6 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I'm a newcomer, but it seems a tad unfair to me that long term and helpful posters have had their 'legend' status removed. I'd personally like to see that restored at whatever posting level it was before.

Thanks for removing 'lurker', I don't think anyone liked that.
Where do you propose that we make changes to the current hierarchy? This is virtually the same list I've used elsewhere and had no complaints but I'm happy to adapt.

0-24 posts - Newbie
25-799 posts - Regular
[ideally would like to add 2 more here but can mix them round as necessary]
800-1999 - Veteran
2000+ - Legend

Whilst I will miss my Legend title, I am happy that sense has prevailed and that terrible Lurker title has gone, can you tell us what other titles you have in mind to fill the gap.
Feel free to throw me some suggestions :D

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies @Giverny - I see you've already implemented the structure you posted, I thought you were proposing it, but I see it's already in place. Thank you.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Apologies @Giverny - I see you've already implemented the structure you posted, I thought you were proposing it, but I see it's already in place. Thank you.
Not a problem! If anyone has any more suggestions, feel free to post them in this thread :D

Also, if anyone finds any bugs with the updated forum, please drop me a PM

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Giverny, I've used the following before:
Newbie up to 50
Regular 50-500
Veteran 500-2500
Grizzled Veteran 2500-5000
Legend 5000-9999
King of the World 10000+

Reactions: 5 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I personally miss the links at the top for 'recent posts' and 'watched threads'. The 'new posts' doesn't seem to be quite the same format. I'll look properly later on my PC, as navigating with cold finger tips on a tablet isn't ideal.

S

Sable_Jan

O too am glad to see Lurker has been removed...... :joyful: and Rookie...... that has connotations of an old American cop show where the new guys are VERY wet behind the ears :D

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Where do you propose that we make changes to the current hierarchy? This is virtually the same list I've used elsewhere and had no complaints but I'm happy to adapt.

0-24 posts - Newbie
25-799 posts - Regular
[ideally would like to add 2 more here but can mix them round as necessary]
800-1999 - Veteran
2000+ - Legend

Feel free to throw me some suggestions :D

What has happened to this site ?? it just looks awful, too bright, with wishy washy lettering, squashed up lettering, avatars too, and many things looking a lot smaller too. As we ALL know, diabetes can and does affect the eyes and badly too. Not great to look at and not a great move either tbh :wideyed: But I see there is a lot more 'advertising' at the bottom of the pages now, oh dear :rolleyes: :eek: . Just a little thought, if it ain't broken, it doesn't need fixing.

Regards RRB :)

Reactions: 8 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
What has happened to this site ?? it just looks awful, too bright, with wishy washy lettering, squashed up lettering, avatars too, and many things looking a lot smaller too. As we ALL know, diabetes can and does affect the eyes and badly too. Not great to look at and not a great move either tbh :wideyed: But I see there is a lot more 'advertising' at the bottom of the pages now, oh dear :rolleyes: :eek: . Just a little thought, if it ain't broken, it doesn't need fixing.

Regards RRB :)
The text is the same size it always was.

S

Sable_Jan

I personally miss the links at the top for 'recent posts' and 'watched threads'. The 'new posts' doesn't seem to be quite the same format. I'll look properly later on my PC, as navigating with cold finger tips on a tablet isn't ideal.
Ditto on the "watched Threads" although I do have more time than many people I just like to keep an eye on my watched threads and just stroll through the other new posts as and when I get the time/urge..... I mean the whole idea of "watching" threads is to be able to access them quickly...

So it would be a big "yes please" to bringing those back if possible

N

NicolaB70

Those sound pretty snazzy - if anyone else likes the sound of these let me know

Sure, fire away!
I still keep getting banners advertising different things across my screen (iPhone), it's not really blocking the view of posts but more annoying then anything. Also, notifications of likes, etc have been notifying me several hours after someone has liked or commented on a post. I've checked my settings etc on phone but they are all set right.