Studying with diabetes

KourtneyRose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just curious if other diabetics have been made to produce a medical certificate in order to be accepted into a programme for study? I kind of felt as though my diabetes meant I have a lesser chance of acceptance although I am perfectly healthy and have great control of my diabetes. I was diagnosed less than a year ago and just wondering if this is common from university? Thanks

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I studied music at Bath Spa university, and my type 1 diabetes was no barrier at all. Unless you were studying something that needed you to prove you were fit and healthy (e.g. advanced scuba diving in politically hostile countries) I would not think you would have a problem.

Reactions: 2 people

Nimster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It must be a new policy at universities because I don't think I was asked for one of those when I was at uni. I think they ask people who are going to study medicine or something similar.

Emma1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've got to fill in a medical form to study for my pgce but that's something everyone has to do for that course. Which uni and what are you going to be studying?

G

graj0

Just curious if other diabetics have been made to produce a medical certificate in order to be accepted into a programme for study? I kind of felt as though my diabetes meant I have a lesser chance of acceptance although I am perfectly healthy and have great control of my diabetes. I was diagnosed less than a year ago and just wondering if this is common from university? Thanks
Is your acceptance actually dependent on producing a certificate? What's the certificate meant to say? That you're diabetic or that you're fit and healthy enough to do the course? I'm assuming that you have disclosed that you are diabetic and they're asking for proof.
I did my Masters in 2001 and I never had to produce anything, come exam time I said that as a result of taking Metformin for Diabetes I might need to dash to the loo and I was allowed to take my exams in a separate room. No proof required by Brunel.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I studied music at Bath Spa university, and my type 1 diabetes was no barrier at all. Unless you were studying something that needed you to prove you were fit and healthy (e.g. advanced scuba diving in politically hostile countries) I would not think you would have a problem.

I know Bath spa.! I was brought up in Weston village near by.. :D

Though not a uni I spent 3 years at Laine theatre arts in Surrey. Which involed a lot of dance training. This was the late 80s/early 90s.. They asked no questions that I could lie to..! ;)

Don't let it hold you back.

Reactions: 2 people