gardening and bs drop

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
we have had some nice weather so I have been doing a bit of gardening not heavy digging just planting and weeding ,my problem is my sugars always take a big drop 4 and under .im on insulin twice a day any advice please

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Any exercise can and will cause a drop in bg levels, if you are on mixed insulin it is not possible for you to adjust the fast acting part of your insulin so I would suggest that perhaps you eat something with a few carbs in it in future before gardening and hopefully the carbs will prevent your bg levels dropping too low, even a couple of biscuits could do the job but trial and error and frequent testing next time you spend time gardening should put you on the right road.

Reactions: 6 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi Susie, I asked a similar question a while ago, asking what to do when the gardening weather turned up. I was advised to leave my insulin dose alone and have 'biscuit breaks' every so often to counter the drop in bg levels. It works for me. Hope this helps.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have a banana at least an hour before you start the gardening. It works wonders :)

susie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi thank you for your help yesterday I had a little lucozade and an apple that didn't help so today I will try the biscuits I will let you know how I get on thanks again

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol. I just finished a gardening project.. Two skips of waste including a dismantled derelict green house, shed & two flip top tool stores.. Plus 8 "flat beds" of green waste.... I'm on MDI. Even lowering my basal a couple of notches I had to power up now & again with the odd buiscuit
Use digestive!

****. I still have to roof felt & paint a wooden gazebo. Re-build a stone water but stand & paint another shed structure..

Your Lucozade & apple is just peaking & dropping off too quick...

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Lol. I just finished a gardening project.. Two skips of waste including a dismantled derelict green house, shed & two flip top tool stores.. Plus 8 "flat beds" of green waste.... I'm on MDI. Even lowering my basal a couple of notches I had to power up now & again with the odd buiscuit
Use digestive!

****. I still have to roof felt & paint a wooden gazebo. Re-build a stone water but stand & paint another shed structure..

Chelsea Flower show next year?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chelsea Flower show next year?

It's not my garden.. I'm not that keen on the horticultural side. But I'm comfortable with & enjoy the wood & stone. Even at home I only deal with the hardware.. Like I tell my wife. "If you want a lawn with nice boarders? You feed it, walk it & change it's little hutch." :D

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hi thank you for your help yesterday I had a little lucozade and an apple that didn't help so today I will try the biscuits I will let you know how I get on thanks again

Or something slow-acting like some oat crackers or oat bars.

A morning or afternoons gardening drops my levels like a stone, I need a very small amount of insulin for quite a carby breakfast/lunch and can still manage the occasional hypo :(

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
Jaylee where we you when I needed my garden redone? Workman to pull down old fence and wooden shed, put up new fence and cart rubbish (loads of it) away. Now I'm in the midst of redoing whole garden. Good exercise but oh my aching body ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jaylee where we you when I needed my garden redone?
Probably munching a biscuit, squinting at my meter through a shimmery early warning lower vision haze. & contemplating the use of Napalm.!

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
Napalm? Never thought of that. Wonder if it works on the idiots I live by? ;)

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Agent orange? How does that work?

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Use digestive!

Wow.... you wouldn't want to come and help with my garden when you've finished, would you?

I have this "problem" too. I treat it as a great excuse to enjoy some tasty fruit sorbet in the sunshine!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow.... you wouldn't want to come and help with my garden when you've finished, would you?

I have this "problem" too. I treat it as a great excuse to enjoy some tasty fruit sorbet in the sunshine!

Now there's an offer!! :D

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No but I could keep it for 'special' people ;)