I've Lost Weight on Metformin

Sharon_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing ok.

Just to let you know I have been on Metformin 2000mg a day for 2 months and I've lost 2 and a half stone in that time I am also following a low carb diet which will have definitely helped.

Anyone else lost weight?

Shazzie xx

Reactions: 6 people

TheFish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Just to let you know I have been on Metformin 2000mg a day for 2 months and I've lost 2 and a half stone in that time I am also following a low carb diet which will have definitely helped.

Anyone else lost weight?

Shazzie xx
Congrats on your weight loss , Ive had my metformin upped to 2000 mg a day hopefully it works for me too lol

Peter Pieman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi your not the only one there , I was diagnosed with type 2 in March and was 20 stone (I am a six foot 3 inch man mind) . Now I'm 16 stone and counting !!. I take three Metformin 500 mg a day.

Reactions: 3 people

Andi01224

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yip I'm on 1000mgs a day and to date (a little over a year) I've lost 5 stone, which I badly needed to lose!

Shirl Bill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Anyone else lost weight?

Shazzie xx
I'm on metformin lost weight also it's like a two in one tablet

angie_mia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well I must be the only one who hasn't lost waight on it, since I became a diabetic 4 years ago I have gained over 3 stone on these pills and cant shift it, any advice ?

Reactions: 2 people

maek1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, egnorant people. Early morning alarm clocks.
well I must be the only one who hasn't lost waight on it, since I became a diabetic 4 years ago I have gained over 3 stone on these pills and cant shift it, any advice

maek1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, egnorant people. Early morning alarm clocks.
This is my first time replying on here. I also have not lost weight, but I am down 2 dress sizes. Can anyone tell me why this has happened. Been type 2 for 8 yrs diet controlled until Jan this year. Now on 2000 Metformin per day. Honestly no weight loss.

Riss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
well I must be the only one who hasn't lost waight on it, since I became a diabetic 4 years ago I have gained over 3 stone on these pills and cant shift it, any advice ?
Same for me I've been on if for over 5 years and not lost anything?

matrond

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, just joined the forum and I am grateful to have my say. I wish I could lose weight, it is the only thing in my life that gets me down. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Pajero1us

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No you not I have been on 1000mg twice a day for three years, not lost a ounce, and I have to work hard to keep my weight stable. And I would so much like to lose a stone or two.

JUNE56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have been hoping my GP would put me on metformin as I've been told it helps you lose weight. Unfortunately she wants to see if I can control my diabetes with healthy eating.

Ejjsmith23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have literally just been put on metaformin in the last 3 weeks and I've to build up the dose over 6 weeks to the 2000g. I've had a pretty dodgy tummy on them. But my diabetes Dr actually put me on them specifically for my weight and shugar control. I'm type 1 and have been for 13 years now. I've always had a problem keeping my weight down. So I hope to God that the tablets do work! Xxx

pete22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my metformin are 850mg each and I take 3 per day and I have lost 3 stone

Last edited by a moderator:

melvyn27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on 2000mg of Metformin and have been for some time with no weight loss. Weight loss is sometimes due to the stress of being told you are Type 2 and your mind coming to terms with it.

GemB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 2000mg of Metformin daily and 110 units of insulin daily and I have gained 2 and 1/2 stone in 5 years which I find very depressing. I just think my metabolism is not co-operating! I was diagnosed with type 2 in1996 and eat plenty of fruit and veg. Drink plenty of fluids daily and watch my carbs. Exercise is hard as I have fused discs in my spine and osteoarthritis.