I've Lost Weight on Metformin

russ51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
walking
well I must be the only one who hasn't lost waight on it, since I became a diabetic 4 years ago I have gained over 3 stone on these pills and cant shift it, any advice ?
im with you put on 3 stone as well and im careful what i eat, i do however have a very high intolerence level to insulin hence around 140 units a day, any other with advice on best low cards

carpcatcher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lots
glad to here other people loosing weight i beginning to get worried thought something was wrong i was diagnosed t2 19/8/15 weighing 16st 12oz just been weighed and down to 15st 1oz take 2x500mg metformin along with a low carb diet happy days

Reactions: 6 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So those of you who have lost weight on Metformin,
do you think it is the metformin, or have you been particularly good or changed the amount of carbs and sugars you now eat as well?
It's more about carb & fat intake that aids weight loss, get the balance right & you have more energy & loose weight.....

collette17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've only been on metformin for 2 weeks I'm type 2 newly diagnosed just two weeks ago and I've list 8lb since being diagnosed but I have been really careful with food especially carbs so maybe its that x

Reactions: 2 people

collette17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
glad to here other people loosing weight i beginning to get worried thought something was wrong i was diagnosed t2 19/8/15 weighing 16st 12oz just been weighed and down to 15st 1oz take 2x500mg metformin along with a low carb diet happy days
I'm on the same dose x

naomi197783

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing ok.

Just to let you know I have been on Metformin 2000mg a day for 2 months and I've lost 2 and a half stone in that time I am also following a low carb diet which will have definitely helped.

Anyone else lost weight?

Shazzie xx
I was loosing weight before diagnosed been put on metformin 1000mg a day still loosing weight need to so happy about it

Reactions: 4 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
I have been on mine for a month and now finding I'm hardly ever hungry even at meal times, which is good as I'm loosing weight but have a very busy work life and wonder if I'm eating enough

amazinmo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had put on 2 stone before being diagnosed 2 years ago. put on metformin sr 500mg daily and lost 3 stone in 6 months and still losing but slowly now with absolutely no side effects

AnnaCollis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Just to let you know I have been on Metformin 2000mg a day for 2 months and I've lost 2 and a half stone in that time I am also following a low carb diet which will have definitely helped.

Anyone else lost weight?

Shazzie xx

I've been on Metformin for 9 months and have lost 13 kilos (approx 28.6 lbs).
AnnaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was misdiagnosed with type 2 and put on metformin..... I actually gained 5 pounds in just over a week. Because I was actually type 1 the meds didn't help my blood sugar at all and clearly not my figure either...

Dee1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Anyone else lost weight?

Shazzie xx
I have lost some but only on 1500 for few weeks face defo slimmer and cut sugar right out

Dee1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed as type 2 in November, and was on 1500mg and then put on 2000mg a day. I have lost 13kg ,
I'm not sure if its the metformin or just the fact that I have never eaten regularly ( I could go days without eating) and since I found out I was diabetic i have been eating 2 small meals a day. I also have a very stressful time with my 17yr old daughter and recently lost my brother in a scuba diving accident, so maybe stress is a participating factor in my weight loss as well.
Another interesting thing that I have noticed is that 6yrs ago I was diagnosed with COPD, but at my annual review in February (just 3 months after I was put on metformin) I was told that my airways had improved, which they do not do with COPD, I am now wondering if I ever had it in the first place, or if I was misdiagnosed all those years ago.
I have copd on top of diebetis an on oxygen now to

Purplehaze55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello I am new on here and have Type 2 . Have been on 2x500mg Metformin a day for 6 weeks. I have lost a stone in weight so far and hope it continues.

eione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Anyone else lost weight?

Shazzie xx
Hi I am type 2 have been for 15 years dr put me on 500mg metformin 3 times a day in a year I lost 6 stone so pleased about that as I struggled, now seems I can eat anything ( within reason) and weight stays 10 stone been like this for 3 mths now , don't loose /gain any weight so prob hit ideal weight, was 16 stone dress size 22, now 10 ish stone dress size 14 hope it lasts

Reactions: 6 people

eione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had dizziness to start with after few day it stopped and now I am fine I have problems walking so got a treadmill 10 min a day not a lot but it helps jean

Bakey

Congrats on your weight loss , Ive had my metformin upped to 2000 mg a day hopefully it works for me too lol
I really feel that the change in your diet is the cause of your weight loss not the medication I have not known of anyone caliming that this medication acts in this way

ukwombat

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well done all on weight loss, I'm on metformin 2000mg per day and lost 3 1/2 stone in 4 months, my HbA1c has dropped from 130 to 45. The change in diet and reading labels is a great help,

Reactions: 5 people

SteveYyoung

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Fish
Well have been three 500 tablets for the past year, my weight stay roughly the same as do lot of walking My weight so 13 Stone
For man think good, But now concerned with f Type 2 Diebites affect man from getting good Having good sexual life Has any
man suffered same experance to thjis Tablett. Metformin

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Well have been three 500 tablets for the past year, my weight stay roughly the same as do lot of walking My weight so 13 Stone
For man think good, But now concerned with f Type 2 Diebites affect man from getting good Having good sexual life Has any
man suffered same experance to thjis Tablett. Metformin
Erectile dysfunction or loss of libido are not listed as potential side effects of metformin but I think you should see your doctor about this. If you are on any other medication it might be a side effect of that. If you have had high blood sugars for a long time it could be a result of that, so getting your levels down may help, along with seeing your doctor in case there is something they can suggest.