1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I've Lost Weight on Metformin

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by Sharon_1, Jun 22, 2015.

1. russ51

russ51 Type 2 · Newbie

im with you put on 3 stone as well and im careful what i eat, i do however have a very high intolerence level to insulin hence around 140 units a day, any other with advice on best low cards

2. carpcatcher

carpcatcher Type 2 · Member

glad to here other people loosing weight i beginning to get worried thought something was wrong i was diagnosed t2 19/8/15 weighing 16st 12oz just been weighed and down to 15st 1oz take 2x500mg metformin along with a low carb diet happy days

• Like Like x 6
  3. Paul59

Paul59 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's more about carb & fat intake that aids weight loss, get the balance right & you have more energy & loose weight.....

4. collette17

collette17 Type 2 · Member

I've only been on metformin for 2 weeks I'm type 2 newly diagnosed just two weeks ago and I've list 8lb since being diagnosed but I have been really careful with food especially carbs so maybe its that x

• Like Like x 2
  5. collette17

collette17 Type 2 · Member

I'm on the same dose x

6. naomi197783

naomi197783 Type 2 · Member

I was loosing weight before diagnosed been put on metformin 1000mg a day still loosing weight need to so happy about it

• Like Like x 4
  7. amanda19640

amanda19640 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have been on mine for a month and now finding I'm hardly ever hungry even at meal times, which is good as I'm loosing weight but have a very busy work life and wonder if I'm eating enough

8. amazinmo

amazinmo Type 2 · Member

I had put on 2 stone before being diagnosed 2 years ago. put on metformin sr 500mg daily and lost 3 stone in 6 months and still losing but slowly now with absolutely no side effects

• Like Like x 4
  9. AnnaCollis

AnnaCollis Type 1 · Member

I've been on Metformin for 9 months and have lost 13 kilos (approx 28.6 lbs).
    AnnaC

• Like Like x 2
  10. millermartinez6

millermartinez6 Type 1 · Newbie

I was misdiagnosed with type 2 and put on metformin..... I actually gained 5 pounds in just over a week. Because I was actually type 1 the meds didn't help my blood sugar at all and clearly not my figure either...

11. Dee1

Dee1 Type 2 · Newbie

I have lost some but only on 1500 for few weeks face defo slimmer and cut sugar right out

12. Dee1

Dee1 Type 2 · Newbie

I have copd on top of diebetis an on oxygen now to

13. Purplehaze55

Purplehaze55 Type 2 · Newbie

Hello I am new on here and have Type 2 . Have been on 2x500mg Metformin a day for 6 weeks. I have lost a stone in weight so far and hope it continues.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Home1967

Home1967 Type 2 · Newbie

Iam on 2 a day of Metformin.dont lose any weight.

15. eione

eione Type 2 · Newbie

Hi I am type 2 have been for 15 years dr put me on 500mg metformin 3 times a day in a year I lost 6 stone so pleased about that as I struggled, now seems I can eat anything ( within reason) and weight stays 10 stone been like this for 3 mths now , don't loose /gain any weight so prob hit ideal weight, was 16 stone dress size 22, now 10 ish stone dress size 14 hope it lasts

• Like Like x 6
  16. eione

eione Type 2 · Newbie

I had dizziness to start with after few day it stopped and now I am fine I have problems walking so got a treadmill 10 min a day not a lot but it helps jean

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bakey

Bakey · Newbie

I really feel that the change in your diet is the cause of your weight loss not the medication I have not known of anyone caliming that this medication acts in this way

18. ukwombat

ukwombat Type 2 · Member

Well done all on weight loss, I'm on metformin 2000mg per day and lost 3 1/2 stone in 4 months, my HbA1c has dropped from 130 to 45. The change in diet and reading labels is a great help,

• Like Like x 5
  19. SteveYyoung

SteveYyoung Type 2 · Newbie

Well have been three 500 tablets for the past year, my weight stay roughly the same as do lot of walking My weight so 13 Stone
    For man think good, But now concerned with f Type 2 Diebites affect man from getting good Having good sexual life Has any
    man suffered same experance to thjis Tablett. Metformin

20. ButtterflyLady

ButtterflyLady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Erectile dysfunction or loss of libido are not listed as potential side effects of metformin but I think you should see your doctor about this. If you are on any other medication it might be a side effect of that. If you have had high blood sugars for a long time it could be a result of that, so getting your levels down may help, along with seeing your doctor in case there is something they can suggest.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook