VICTOZA users

philg

Has anyone had any information about Victoza from their health care team? The doctor on this morning was very enthusiastic about it's use by type 2s instead of insulin.

Looking at the cost of about £78.50 per month and only 1 injection and probably 2-3 test strips per day I think it would be more economical than two types of insulin, 4-5 needles per day and 8-10 test strips per day.

Unfortunately my Dr is away at the moment but I intend to see him asap to discuss the possibility of using Victoza.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Re: Victoza mentioned on This Morning

At the "event" I attended last week for West Berks PCT, they said it's not being authorised here, on cost grounds. :twisted:
I can't even get them to accept that allowing strips would save them money. Anyway I wouldn't qualify for it either way.

Reactions: NoSugarBabe

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi Philg.

This was mentioned recently in a Topic about Sitagliptin. See here.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9212&p=87057&hilit=Victoza#p87057

At the moment it is not available only being marketed. You can ask, but it may be some time before it is freely available.

Ken.

babbettes

i saw my consultant yesterday and it has been approved he gave me a prescription so im waiting for it to come it will post later on how it goes

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi babbettes.

I am aware of the approval in the UK the only problem I have at the moment is that it isn't listed anywhere official, such as the BNF. Therefore my information about it is pretty basic and is only what is in the public domain.

I am very interested in getting hold of something like the Patient Information leaflet and instructions for use leaflet etc. When you get it prescribed are you able to pm me a copy of both please ? :D

Ken.

babbettes

i found the leaflet on the internet by searching leaflet on victoza i got all the information hope this works

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Thanks babbette.

That has added the Patient information leaflet to my little collection about this drug.

Someone earlier asked about this drug VICTOZA.
Here is the list of:
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Victoza can cause side effects although not everybody gets them.
Side effects may occur with certain frequencies, which are defined as follows:
• very common: affects more than 1 user in 10
• common: affects 1 to 10 users in 100
• uncommon: affects 1 to 10 users in 1,000
• rare: affects 1 to 10 users in 10,000
• very rare: affects less than 1 user in 10,000
• not known: frequency cannot be estimated from the available data
Very common side effects
• Nausea (feeling sick). This usually goes away over time.
• Diarrhoea. This usually goes away over time.
Common side effects
• Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar). The warning signs of low blood sugar may come on
suddenly and can include: cold sweat, cool pale skin, headache, fast heart beat, feeling sick,
feeling very hungry, changes in vision, feeling sleepy, feeling weak, nervous, anxious,
confused, difficulty concentrating, shaking (tremor). Your doctor will tell you how to treat low
blood sugar and what to do if you notice these warning signs. If you are already taking a
sulphonylurea medicine when you start using Victoza, your doctor may tell you to reduce the
dose of the sulphonylurea.
• Headache
• Vomiting
• Indigestion
• Inflamed stomach (gastritis). The signs include stomach pain, nausea and vomiting.
• Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD). The signs include heartburn.
• Painful or swollen tummy (abdomen)
• Abdominal discomfort
• Viral infection in stomach
• Constipation
• Wind (flatulence)
• Decreased appetite
• Bronchitis
• Common cold
• Dizziness
• Fatigue
• Fever
• Toothache
• Injection side reactions (such as bruising, pain, irritation, itching, and rash)
Uncommon side effects
• Pancreatitis

After reading through that lot, I am so glad I am on Byetta. Good luck. :D

Ken.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Victoza is the new rival to Byetta. The significant differences are that Victoza is injected once a day against Byetta's twice a day, and that the main ingredient is liraglutide against Byetta's exenatide. It seems to work in a similar way to Byetta by reducing BG and hepatic glucose production, suppresses appetite and slows the rate of digestion.

My big concern about it is that the EU have approved it for public use only a couple of weeks after the US authorities refused to licence it because of concerns that it can cause thyroid cancer. This has been put to Novo Nordisk who are playing down the fears on the basis that because it does that in rats it doesn't mean it will do in humans. My own thoughts on that are, if rats are so different that the results are not comparable and should be ignored, then why did Novo test it on rats in the first place!?!

Like Ken, I'll stick to Byetta thanks very much. There are one or two things I tend to value, like my well-being.

babbettes

im sure they wouldnt have appoved it if it wasnt safe any way ive started using it as byetta didnt agree with me i had bad headaches so im hoping this will work

humph

I will wait for Byetta LAR. Injection once a week and performs better than Victoza.

Average HbA1c drop of 1.7%. My consultant still believes it should get approval in September.

I suspect the EU have licensed Victoza to get some competion in the market, it does seem very rushed and not their usual cautious approach.

babbettes

i have been on victora for a week now doing good blood sugar levels have dropped not eating so much lot easier than injecting twice a week an hour before meals doing ok

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Carol,

I believe you may be our only member on Victoza, so it would be really helpful if could keep us updated on how you get on with it, any problems or side effects you encounter, what effect it has on your weight and BGs, etc. Your experiences could be very useful to others who may be offered Victoza.

babbettes

im the first the consultant has given it too been on just over a week now fill full up most of the time and sugars are good .
No side effects as yet (fingers crossed

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

What were your Blood sugars ,Babettes?

babbettes

at the moment im just trying to adjust dosage im finding if im not careful im having hypos but catching them in time my readings were quite high so im pleased in that way and im not picking at food have to speak to my doctor at end of week and he will prob put me up to higher dose

babbettes

i have now been on victoza for 2 weeks and lost 6 lbs in weight and no side effects it is so much easier than having to inject a hour before meals and only one injection a day seeing my diabetic nurse friday so maybe they will put me on a higher dose :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Re: Victoza

Hi Carol.

Thanks for the update. It all sounds good so far. I should imagine you are pleased after previous troubles with the Byetta. Anything that can do the job has to be good ? Please keep us informed of your progress. So far you are a one off on here, so we need the information if you can help us.

I have changed the heading of the Topic slightly.

Ken.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

That's great news Carol. I'm glad it seems to be working for you.

chell1981

I have been prescribed this and have picked it up from the pharmacy this morning, am awaiting an appointment tomorrow morning with my gp now to explain how to use the pen (i'm new to all this) and to get a prescription for a sharps box which the idiot forgot to put on the prescription,

They advised Victoza as it will help to keep my weight under control a bit more easily not sure how true this is but we will see, the consultant is very postitive about it and says it is the best drug out there and it will work for me, guess we'll just have to watch this space.