Pump showing signs of age!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hi everyone, notice that my Medtronic pump is starting to look a bit sorry for itself. I only noticed last night when doing a set change that part of the top of the reservoir has broken off at some point or just gradually brittled away. It may have been like this for a while tbh but I haven't noticed it before. I have a pic but not sure how to get it up on here. Anyway I don't know what to do as I'm due a replacement Medtronic pump in Sept as my old one will be out of warranty then and I've been told it will be the new one which I was really hoping for. If I report it to Medtrnoic and they issue a replacement will it likely be the old models which they probably still have in stock?

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Hi everyone, notice that my Medtronic pump is starting to look a bit sorry for itself. I only noticed last night when doing a set change that part of the top of the reservoir has broken off at some point or just gradually brittled away. It may have been like this for a while tbh but I haven't noticed it before. I have a pic but not sure how to get it up on here. Anyway I don't know what to do as I'm due a replacement Medtronic pump in Sept as my old one will be out of warranty then and I've been told it will be the new one which I was really hoping for. If I report it to Medtrnoic and they issue a replacement will it likely be the old models which they probably still have in stock?
Hi RiRi I don't know about Medtronic but most pump companies when they up date and your near to end of pump warranty they upgrade to the next and newest model

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
You need to report the issues as it's a fault with the pump. The new pump will only be valid until sept anyway, after which you will receive a new fangled all dancing pump :)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks both. Like the sound of the first answer :) Carbrocks - my worry was (I know it's a bit selfish) if I reported it they would send me out a replacement pump which would be the old model but good for another 4 years. Honestly it sounds as if I'm complaining about having a pump - I'm not I was just excited about getting apt he new model.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
I don't know if you have spoken to your DSN about being "Saddled" for another 4 years with older technology for no fault of your own I would approach him/her and say about your concerns and that your looking so forward to upgrading to a new state of art gadget!. I personally and I think donnellydogs had contact with their pump reps who were very understanding and would bend over backwards for their patients try those avenues first if possible

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thanks both. Like the sound of the first answer :) Carbrocks - my worry was (I know it's a bit selfish) if I reported it they would send me out a replacement pump which would be the old model but good for another 4 years. Honestly it sounds as if I'm complaining about having a pump - I'm not I was just excited about getting apt he new model.
No you will not be saddled with the pump for 4 years. Warranties are the same as washing machines they start on day of first purchase so if a replacement needed the warranty stays on the day of original purchase.. My pump is due for renewal in sept as well I was given a replacement a couple of weeks ago as it died a death for some reason. I was told at the time warranty runs out in Sept.

PS your siggy says you started pumping in November 2011, so surely that's when pump warranty runs out :confused:

Reactions: 6 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for that piece of info - never new that! :)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Right, contacted DSN and Medtrnoic. Medtronic, as usual, very helpful and have issued a replacement pump to be with me tomorrow. They advised me, as you did Carb Rocks, that warranty still applies from date of purchase of old pump so that sounds fine.
My worry is my DSN has just come back to my e-mail and says 'We are waiting for the new pump to be launched as they have only currently launched the 3 ml one'. Firstly is this right? Secondly it sounds a bit as though they're not committed to buying the new Medtronic pumps as they seemed to be 6 months ago when I spoke to her. O God!

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sounds possitive about warranty, but not so good with release date, 3ml shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as it's pre filled I can't see very well and couldn't fill the critters or check for bubbles

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I expected a smaller pump but was told there isn't one. It's OK, it also takes the smaller reservoirs.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the 3ml 640g as the 1.8ml isn't available as yet. I was a bit unsure as I only use small daily amounts but it just means the pump is marginally longer to accommodate the 3ml reservoir .Dimensions of the 3ml pump are 5.3cm width, 9.6cm length and 2.5cm depth compared to the 1.8 ml pump which is 5.3cm width, 8.6cm length and 2.5cm depth. I still use the 1.8 ml reservoirs and am really happy with the 640g.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Flowerpot. I really hope that they opt for this one when the clinic comes to replace the pumps over the next month or so. I've never had a moments trouble with any Medtronic equipment. Funny story about my replacement - I got a call yesterday from them to say TNT were on their way to Scotland with the replacement! Considering I'm in Wales they weren't exactly going the right way. Anyway, when I said they really should make an effort to locate another one to send out same day the helpful guy from Medtrnonic phoned back to say one had been located in Oxford and was now winging its way to West Wales. The TNT guy arrived with me at 7 last night - bless him!! Bonus - the pump is a super girly pink colour :)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Pump review clinic with consultant today. Up from last time but HBA1c still good (in my opinion) at 6.8. Also good news on replacement pump - they're ordering the new Medtronic one as we speak and we'll be getting them in September. All in all, a good little morning.

Reactions: 6 people