breakfast

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about making chia seed jam - no cooking involved! https://sumptuousspoonfuls.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/no-cook-strawberry-chia-jam-a-berrylicious-post/
Can use on low carb bread / toast. (Other posts have pointed to Lidl high protein low carb rolls as not causing BS level spikes.)

I'm definitely going to investigate chia next time I'm somewhere they sell it - but not for ersatz jam. I've not eaten any sort of jam for decades and don't miss it. And I've been on and off of even the most appropriate sorts of bread for several years so can imagine life without it at all. I think my original question was just that eggs and that sort of cooked breakfast all felt a bit much for me - I'm the opposite of a mornings person! After all this discussion, I might end up giving cooked breakfasts (of the egg sort) another try.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
You could always try the flax mug muffins ... there is a thread in the food section started by Brunneria.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The one minute muffins are lovely with some greek yoghurt and a half a dozen berries. Doesn't cause me any spikes and is low carb and very filling. I use the DJ Foodie recipe from a google.

Ali

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, all this chat about muffins sent me back to the eggs - two days running, and it's seeming not so bad.

Reactions: 2 people

flossymartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi....I buy livliife bread in bulk from ocado......it doesn't seem to spike me too much.The high protein rolls from Lidl really gave me an upset stomach......however a lot of people really rate them.All cereals and other bread really send my sugars high.I would love to find a porridge for the winter but all so far have sent my sugars too high.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm now back to a cereal breakfast, but it's a bit minimalist. I put some porridge oats to soak overnight in unsweetened soya milk. It varies between 20g and 40g - so far I can't see any difference in after-breakfast tests (which are always lower than the pre-breakfast ones). I used to chop up a banana and add to this but have switched to an apple, which is going back to how I used to eat this years ago. This is a stripped down sort of variation on the original Bircher-Benner muesli that I was introduced to back in the 1960s! I'm not much of a breakfast person and the raw oats and fruit suit my stomach first thing, and I'm pleased I seem to be able to cope with it. To put it in perspective, it's the only specifically carb food I have most days.

A

asparagusp

You need carbohydrates to prevent getting ketosis - https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ketosis. What normally is said is good for people is porridge, high in soluble fibre and the carbohydrates are slow releasing. Also when made with milk is full of protein.

I have a cup of cocoa, not chocolate, made with organic cocoa, semi skimmed milk and no sugar plus a few oatcakes - gnummy!

Bananas are also good for you but in moderation too.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is possible to buy lower carb grain-free Paleo cereals which use toasted coconut flakes and are expensive i.e. £6-£8. Some Tesco stores have them in the healthcare section or you can get them from Amazon or import from USA but they may not be low enough in carbs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting. My husband always wants to give me cereals and ridicules the low carb idea. Such is life in this house.

Sounds as if it's your husband who needs the diabetes education! Good luck!