Chromium ?

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone tell me what they know about chromium? It is a suggested supplement in the Patrick Holford Low GL Diet book. Is it suitable for someone who is prediabetes? Will it help? I have just been told that recent fasting glucose tests indicate I am prediabetic. My cholesterol levels are also high and my doctor wants to put me on statins. However, I have read that statins can increase your risk of diabetes. All a bit odd when I am supposed to be doing all I can to prevent diabetes. Any advice?

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As with most minerals (except possibly magnesium which it seems almost everyone is deficient in), supplementing chromium will only help if you are deficient. But, worth trying at least 1 course of it to see if you feel better or your BG responds.

Here's a list of various supplements ranked on scientific studies of their effectiveness:
http://examine.com/topics/Insulin+Sensitivity/

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Sally68,
The question of Chromium seems to repeatedly crop up. here is a copy of the repliy I sent some time ago to another Diabetic with a similar question. Hope it is of some help and answers your question. Incidentally I have been taking Chromium Piccolinate 200 micrograms daily since being first diagnosed a s a Type 2 since 2000 it does indeed help to lower B/G levels.

Sorry it's such a lengthy reply.

During the time period that I spent conducting my initial research into diabetes, I discovered that 85% of Type 2 diabetics have a below average level of Chromium present in their bodies at the time when their diabetes is first confirmed. This important mineral has several functions within the body, and is known to work together with Insulin to help transfer Glucose from the blood, through the cell’s membrane into body cells.
As we gradually age, we also gradually reduce the natural amount of Chromium present within our bodies, and though everything is not fully know about Chromium and how this effects the body, scientific research has already linked the declining levels of Chromium with an increased risk to the individual of their developing raised interocular eye pressure (Glaucoma) and also of developing Type 2 diabetes in their later life.
Over many years, modern farming methods of food production and in processing food have resulted in Chromium levels being progressively reduced. It has also been known for some time that Chromium supplements have a dramatic influence on the uptake of glucose from within the blood supply by assisting insulin in its body cell uptake. Following on from this, the Department of Agriculture's Human Nutrition Research Centre in the USA funded clinical research trials into the effects of Chromium on various patients, the results of which highlighted some very interesting findings.
Patients were tested initially without being given any supplements and records were taken of each patient's blood/glucose levels over a period of one month for both fasting as well as average glucose levels. The very same patients were then randomly given either a placebo, 200 micro gm of Chromium Trichloride or 200 micro gm of Chromium Picolinate to be taken daily over a further one month period.
The most remarkable results were achieved in the patients who were randomly selected to take the Chromium and who had extended glucose readings in the pre-diabetic stage. Interestingly within this group 7 out of every 8 patient who were tested showed a noticeable lowering of their blood/glucose levels with 50% of them now showing a significant overall reduction.
Patients who had previously reached or crossed the standard diabetic threshold levels were also found to have lower Blood/Glucose levels, but their test results did not produce the same magnitude of reduction as the patients in the Pre-Diabetic stage. Within this group such patients showed an average glucose reduction of 18%
The action of Chromium/Insulin combines with Nicotinic Acid/Amino Acid to form the glucose tolerance factor. Chromium may also improve lipid metabolism by effecting Lipoprotein lipase activity and nucleic acid metabolism by affecting the integrity of nuclear strands.
Chromium is found in certain foods mainly Red Meat (beef), Brewers Yeast, Nuts, Dairy Products, Vegetables and Wheat-Meal Cereals but in insufficient quantity to achieve this same level of Blood Glucose reduction. The lack of Chromium in the body may also give concern to many pre-diabetic symptoms notably tiredness, numbness and/or tingling in the hands and/or feet as well as influencing impaired glucose tolerance and hyperglycaemia.
Simple sugars are known to reduce the level of Chromium in the human body and persons over the age of 40 years are on average known to have an overall body net Chromium loss of 1 micro gm/day.
The average adult has between 5.2 to 10.4 micro gm of Chromium present in the body.
Chromium Levels in the human body appear to relate to Diet & Lifestyle
European and N. American 6.0 mg
African Natives 7.45 mg
Middle Eastern 11.8 mg
Far Eastern 12.5 mg
People with higher Chromium levels show they are statistically less likely to have diabetes and/or heart disease. Levels of Chromium in the body decline with age.
The body take-up of Chromium is generally very poor only 3-10% however when it is incorporated in yeast the Chromium absorption is increased to 10-25%
The excretion of Chromium in faeces and urine is up to 10 micro gm daily. Some form of Insulin resistance will develop in 25% of adults over 40 years old. People aged 75 have on average half the level of Chromium in their body that they had in their youth.
Yeast contains Chromium as glucose tolerance factor (GTF) 50 x more effective than other forms of Chromium and Yeast is 20 x more readily absorbed. The GTF from Yeast is 10 x more effective than Chromium absorbed from foods such as Liver, Wheat Germ and Sea foods.
Best Food Sources of Chromium (Micro gm/100 gm of the food Source)
Egg Yoke 183 micro gm
Molasses 121 micro gm
Dried Brewer's Yeast 117 micro gm
Beef 57 micro gm
Hard Cheese 56 micro gm
Liver 55 micro gm
Fruit Juices 47 micro gm
Wholemeal Bread 42 micro gm
Bran 38 micro gm
Alcoholic Drinks 30 micro gm
Cereals 30 micro gm
Honey 29 micro gm
Wheat Germ 23 micro gm
Fruit 10 micro gm
Chromium is known to function as the Glucose Tolerance Factor (GTF)
It controls the blood glucose Update in Muscles and Organs.
It stimulates the burning of glucose for energy.
It controls the Blood Cholesterol level and reduces total Cholesterol levels in the blood.
It increases HDL Cholesterol. (Good Cholesterol)
It lowers LDL Cholesterol. (Bad Cholesterol)
It reduces Triglyceride levels.
It reduces Arteriosclerosis.
It helps prevent Insulin resistance.
It stimulates Protein Synthesis.
It stimulates the production of essential nerve substances.
It increases the resistance to infection.
It suppresses the hunger symptoms through brain 'Satiety Centre'
There are no recommended daily intakes for Chromium (RDA) but the US Food and Nutritional Board suggests a safe and adequate range of 50-200 micro gm daily. This level is dependant on age bearing in mind that the body’s net Chromium loss increases with age.
Chromium supplements effect Blood/Glucose - Consult with your GP before use

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is very helpful, thanks. As I'm at the pre diabetes stage do you think I should start taking Chromium now or wait until I see my GP? Due to see her on 22nd. Strangely enough I used to take it when I did the Patrick Holford 'Fat Burner Diet' about 10 years ago. Stopped when I was trying for babies and never went back on. I know he writes extensively about Diabetes and I'm currently following his Low GL Diet where Chromium is recommended.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Sally66,
Thank you for your reply. I'm pleased that you found the information to be useful. Now whether to take Chromium or not, well the decision ultimately boils down to you. Reading the facts outlined in the item that I posted convinced me way back in 2000 that Chromium was a mineral that was essential in glucose metabolism, and lack or loss of this mineral had a great effect on B/G control.
The fact that 85% of newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetics were below the average level was more than enough to start me on taking Chromium on a daily basis.
I personally went 10 years using Chromium alone to control my B/S before eventually I had to go over to diabetic medication which surprised my GP as to how effective it was in my case. I have shown these initial findings to a number of people, both diabetic and non diabetic, and can report back that even a Type 1 diabetic found that his need for insulin was reduced after taking the chromium, and a number of others Type 2 diabetics found their HbA1c levels to have been reduced, and one individual who ran a local shop reported back to me that her mental ability in calculating the shop's weekly takings was significantly improved since she started taking Chromium.
Chromium takes a little time to become effective, anything from a couple of weeks to a few months but in all those who tried it, they nearly all had significant noticeable improvements in their B/G levels or mental ability. It won't make a major difference, but any improvement no matter how small must be beneficial and as a Pre-Diabetic it might indeed help prevent you from ever crossing the diabetic finishing line.
Hope this is useful - Lazybones

Last edited by a moderator:

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone tell me what they know about chromium? It is a suggested supplement in the Patrick Holford Low GL Diet book. Is it suitable for someone who is prediabetes? Will it help? I have just been told that recent fasting glucose tests indicate I am prediabetic. My cholesterol levels are also high and my doctor wants to put me on statins. However, I have read that statins can increase your risk of diabetes. All a bit odd when I am supposed to be doing all I can to prevent diabetes. Any advice?

Take a look at this on statins:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150507145328.htm
and this:
http://nutricur.com/does-your-doctor-know/diabetes-and-statins-health-risks/

And here for Chromium GTF (better than picolinate) also has Ceylon cinnamon (NOT Cassia! Cassia can cause liver damage, read the forums), Zinc, magnesium, etc a whole load of helpful ingredients.. pretty comprehensive:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/shop/productdetails.aspx?pid=4252

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Great article on statins. Thank you.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just found this thread, very interesting reading. The list of benefits would be well worth giving it a go.

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear Sally68,
The question of Chromium seems to repeatedly crop up. here is a copy of the repliy I sent some time ago to another Diabetic with a similar question. Hope it is of some help and answers your question. Incidentally I have been taking Chromium Piccolinate 200 micrograms daily since being first diagnosed a s a Type 2 since 2000 it does indeed help to lower B/G levels.

Sorry it's such a lengthy reply.

During the time period that I spent conducting my initial research into diabetes, I discovered that 85% of Type 2 diabetics have a below average level of Chromium present in their bodies at the time when their diabetes is first confirmed. This important mineral has several functions within the body, and is known to work together with Insulin to help transfer Glucose from the blood, through the cell’s membrane into body cells.
As we gradually age, we also gradually reduce the natural amount of Chromium present within our bodies, and though everything is not fully know about Chromium and how this effects the body, scientific research has already linked the declining levels of Chromium with an increased risk to the individual of their developing raised interocular eye pressure (Glaucoma) and also of developing Type 2 diabetes in their later life.
Over many years, modern farming methods of food production and in processing food have resulted in Chromium levels being progressively reduced. It has also been known for some time that Chromium supplements have a dramatic influence on the uptake of glucose from within the blood supply by assisting insulin in its body cell uptake. Following on from this, the Department of Agriculture's Human Nutrition Research Centre in the USA funded clinical research trials into the effects of Chromium on various patients, the results of which highlighted some very interesting findings.
Patients were tested initially without being given any supplements and records were taken of each patient's blood/glucose levels over a period of one month for both fasting as well as average glucose levels. The very same patients were then randomly given either a placebo, 200 micro gm of Chromium Trichloride or 200 micro gm of Chromium Picolinate to be taken daily over a further one month period.
The most remarkable results were achieved in the patients who were randomly selected to take the Chromium and who had extended glucose readings in the pre-diabetic stage. Interestingly within this group 7 out of every 8 patient who were tested showed a noticeable lowering of their blood/glucose levels with 50% of them now showing a significant overall reduction.
Patients who had previously reached or crossed the standard diabetic threshold levels were also found to have lower Blood/Glucose levels, but their test results did not produce the same magnitude of reduction as the patients in the Pre-Diabetic stage. Within this group such patients showed an average glucose reduction of 18%
The action of Chromium/Insulin combines with Nicotinic Acid/Amino Acid to form the glucose tolerance factor. Chromium may also improve lipid metabolism by effecting Lipoprotein lipase activity and nucleic acid metabolism by affecting the integrity of nuclear strands.
Chromium is found in certain foods mainly Red Meat (beef), Brewers Yeast, Nuts, Dairy Products, Vegetables and Wheat-Meal Cereals but in insufficient quantity to achieve this same level of Blood Glucose reduction. The lack of Chromium in the body may also give concern to many pre-diabetic symptoms notably tiredness, numbness and/or tingling in the hands and/or feet as well as influencing impaired glucose tolerance and hyperglycaemia.
Simple sugars are known to reduce the level of Chromium in the human body and persons over the age of 40 years are on average known to have an overall body net Chromium loss of 1 micro gm/day.
The average adult has between 5.2 to 10.4 micro gm of Chromium present in the body.
Chromium Levels in the human body appear to relate to Diet & Lifestyle
European and N. American 6.0 mg
African Natives 7.45 mg
Middle Eastern 11.8 mg
Far Eastern 12.5 mg
People with higher Chromium levels show they are statistically less likely to have diabetes and/or heart disease. Levels of Chromium in the body decline with age.
The body take-up of Chromium is generally very poor only 3-10% however when it is incorporated in yeast the Chromium absorption is increased to 10-25%
The excretion of Chromium in faeces and urine is up to 10 micro gm daily. Some form of Insulin resistance will develop in 25% of adults over 40 years old. People aged 75 have on average half the level of Chromium in their body that they had in their youth.
Yeast contains Chromium as glucose tolerance factor (GTF) 50 x more effective than other forms of Chromium and Yeast is 20 x more readily absorbed. The GTF from Yeast is 10 x more effective than Chromium absorbed from foods such as Liver, Wheat Germ and Sea foods.
Best Food Sources of Chromium (Micro gm/100 gm of the food Source)
Egg Yoke 183 micro gm
Molasses 121 micro gm
Dried Brewer's Yeast 117 micro gm
Beef 57 micro gm
Hard Cheese 56 micro gm
Liver 55 micro gm
Fruit Juices 47 micro gm
Wholemeal Bread 42 micro gm
Bran 38 micro gm
Alcoholic Drinks 30 micro gm
Cereals 30 micro gm
Honey 29 micro gm
Wheat Germ 23 micro gm
Fruit 10 micro gm
Chromium is known to function as the Glucose Tolerance Factor (GTF)
It controls the blood glucose Update in Muscles and Organs.
It stimulates the burning of glucose for energy.
It controls the Blood Cholesterol level and reduces total Cholesterol levels in the blood.
It increases HDL Cholesterol. (Good Cholesterol)
It lowers LDL Cholesterol. (Bad Cholesterol)
It reduces Triglyceride levels.
It reduces Arteriosclerosis.
It helps prevent Insulin resistance.
It stimulates Protein Synthesis.
It stimulates the production of essential nerve substances.
It increases the resistance to infection.
It suppresses the hunger symptoms through brain 'Satiety Centre'
There are no recommended daily intakes for Chromium (RDA) but the US Food and Nutritional Board suggests a safe and adequate range of 50-200 micro gm daily. This level is dependant on age bearing in mind that the body’s net Chromium loss increases with age.
Chromium supplements effect Blood/Glucose - Consult with your GP before use

Amazingly detailed! Thank you! It is comforting to know that the Easybetic capsules I buy from the online shop here are the right choice. I did my own research well but learnt a lot from reading your post.

Thanks!