Gastroparesis.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on Domperidone until my Dr changed it to Metoclopramide due to my cardiac condition. I only have mild motility problems, but it seems equally effective.

It was removed temporarily here in the states because of its link to tardive dyskinesia, they do have it back but i it is only given for 90 days which doesn't really help if you have a chronic condition . I took it and unfortunately it gave me severe tics and tremors . I am glad it works for you though.

Reactions: 2 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you both for your support... So very much appreciated....

I find it extremely hard at times to be honest. The majority of times I love my foods and I do enjoy so enjoy spiralising my courgettes and canbage etc but odd times it makes you feel different.

Going shopping you learn to avoid the bread and cake aisles or even better... You send your hubby!!! -lol:).

I know Anaelena and I wouldn't wish this on our worst enemies. Certainly when I found out about the aspartame and pain I posted about it to warn others.

The gastroparesis and SCT is horrible but we I think try to be positive that we try to and have found natural products that can assist us. Like Analaena I do not use any laxatives as 8 movicols or laxidos a day didn't help or the horrible mini enemas either.. So we have bith had to find natural products.

For me personally it has been great to hear of another person with similar problems- thanks Anaelena for your post. Its good to learn of flax oil and that I'm not the only one with probs...

If I could outlaw one product in this world it would be Aspartame !!! Nothing can make me sicker than a packet of that . When I discovered that so much of my headaches and pain were caused by that it was both a happy moment as well as an angry one . All it does is cause obesity and brain tumors .

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
If I could outlaw one product in this world it would be Aspartame !!! Nothing can make me sicker than a packet of that . When I discovered that so much of my headaches and pain were caused by that it was both a happy moment as well as an angry one . All it does is cause obesity and brain tumors .
I'm glad you found out what was causing you problems, but most people can consume aspartame without getting sick. I'm not aware of any robust scientific evidence that it causes obesity or brain tumours. There was a study on rats that linked it to obesity, however I recently read about some further research that found it did not cause obesity.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm glad you found out what was causing you problems, but most people can consume aspartame without getting sick. I'm not aware of any robust scientific evidence that it causes obesity or brain tumours. There was a study on rats that linked it to obesity, however I recently read about some further research that found it did not cause obesity.

Interestingly, even the American Cancer Society confirmed that users of artificial sweeteners gained more weight than those who didn’t use the products, further undermining the supposed "purpose" for the existence of aspartame in the food .

It has been demonstrated that the use of this product actually causes people to consume more food. Normally, when a significant quantity of carbohydrate are consumed, serotonin levels rise in the brain. This is manifested as a relaxed feeling after a meal. When aspartame is ingested with carbohydrates, such as having a sandwich with a diet drink, aspartame causes the brain to cease production of serotonin, meaning that the feeling of having had enough never materializes. You then eat more foods, many containing aspartame, and the cycle continues.

Pepsi is concerned enough that they are changing their diet sodas to sucrolose.

They have brain studies that show it becomes a toxin when mixed with certain food colorants.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interestingly, even the American Cancer Society confirmed that users of artificial sweeteners gained more weight than those who didn't use the products,
but where do they say that? The quote seems to come from a Mercola article. There is no reference and although the article is about aspartame, the phrase is actually talking about sweeteners in general rather than aspartame in particular http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/fraud.htm
Here's the Cancer societies page on aspartame. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame

. Eating sweeteners in general may not be a good thing , certainly people who susbstitute sweeteners for sugar tend to be more overweight ; but which comes first and is it just aspartame? http://www.nature.com/news/sugar-substitutes-linked-to-obesity-1.15938

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Interestingly, even the American Cancer Society confirmed that users of artificial sweeteners gained more weight than those who didn’t use the products, further undermining the supposed "purpose" for the existence of aspartame in the food .

It has been demonstrated that the use of this product actually causes people to consume more food. Normally, when a significant quantity of carbohydrate are consumed, serotonin levels rise in the brain. This is manifested as a relaxed feeling after a meal. When aspartame is ingested with carbohydrates, such as having a sandwich with a diet drink, aspartame causes the brain to cease production of serotonin, meaning that the feeling of having had enough never materializes. You then eat more foods, many containing aspartame, and the cycle continues.

Pepsi is concerned enough that they are changing their diet sodas to sucrolose.

They have brain studies that show it becomes a toxin when mixed with certain food colorants.
Phoenix has responded with what I would have said, so I won't duplicate that. We don't know for sure why Pepsi made the change; it could have been in response to people saying they don;t want aspartame, based on misunderstood info from sites like Mercola, for example. That wouldn't mean Pepsi's scientists think aspartame is bad, just that among some people it is unpopular.

I'm not aware of brain studies about toxicity and food colourants. I'd need to see the actual studies before I could comment one way or another. We consume toxins in a lot of things, even fresh fruit (naturally occurring toxins) but they don't necessarily cause actual harm because as the saying goes "the dose makes the poison". If an individual reacts badly to aspartame then they should avoid it. But for people who don't have that reaction, if it means they are not adding sugar to their food, I think that's a good thing.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm the exception then to aspartame and putting on weight!!-lol....

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
but where do they say that? The quote seems to come from a Mercola article. There is no reference and although the article is about aspartame, the phrase is actually talking about sweeteners in general rather than aspartame in particular http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/fraud.htm
Here's the Cancer societies page on aspartame. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame

. Eating sweeteners in general may not be a good thing , certainly people who susbstitute sweeteners for sugar tend to be more overweight ; but which comes first and is it just aspartame? http://www.nature.com/news/sugar-substitutes-linked-to-obesity-1.15938

I actually like the mercola website . I would never buy anything from there and do verify the information set forth as we all should.

I was a person who used artificial sweeteners for years and as soon as I stopped using artificial sweetener was able to lose weight much easier.

The sweetener industry is a 90 billion dollar global industry . They aren't going anywhere . Just like so many other poisons we have like cigarettes they add to much to our economy to be eliminated .

The European Scientific Committee on Food concluded from biochemical, clinical, and behavioral research that the acceptable daily intake of 40 mg/kg/day of aspartame remained entirely safe ... Most people go way over that . The information establish that the substance is safe under the conditions of its intended use and within its limits . So yes they say it is safe under these conditions but most people do not remain within these limits . A diet coke once a week ? Okay , but most people use much more.

12 oz. diet soda - up to 225 mg of aspartame
8 oz. drink from powder - 100 mg of aspartame
8 oz. yogurt - 80 mg of aspartame
4 oz. gelatin dessert - 80 mg of aspartame
¾ cup of sweetened cereal -- 32 mg of aspartame
1 packet of Equal - 22 mg of aspartame
1 tablet of Equal - 19 mg of aspartame

I add that Saccharin was taken off the market in the USA because of concern of blader cancer in rats . They later said it did not apply to humans and brought it back into the market yet ...Saccharin belongs to a class of compounds known as sulfonamides, which can cause allergic reactions in some individuals.
Reactions can include Headaches, breathing difficulties, severe diarrhea and skin problems. I do not see any warning labels on our packages here but we do have warnings on our peanut butter. Seems odd to me :)

I have my own experience with this product and obviously cannot consume it because when I do I end up in the hospital. I feel like there are so many other types of sweeteners out there that I would prefer my family to consume and wonder why people would chose one that is questionable .

Since you added an article from nature/com I can add this as well :) http://www.naturalnews.com/039677_American_Cancer_Society_deceptions_aspartame.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also .. Someone posted a article last week about what coke does to your body an hour after consumption , well you should see what happens when you drink diet coke . Same scientist did the study and it will make you think twice .

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Naturalnews.com and Nature.com are worlds apart in terms of scientific reliability.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a nurse , I have worked in research and #1 rule of research is to keep an open mind and look at all possibilities .

Reactions: 5 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am a nurse , I have worked in research and #1 rule of research is to keep an open mind and look at all possibilities .
I have an open mind, and I have read naturalnews articles before. There are many other rules of research as well. You might find this article interesting, and it summarises why I don't consider naturalnews or mercola to be reliable sources of information.
http://scienceornot.net/science-red-flags/

The story about the coke can has been debunked, this is one of the articles about it:
http://www.iflscience.com/health-an...la-affect-your-body-hour-after-drinking-stuff

There are so many urban myths about coke that snopes.com has a whole section about it:
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cokelore.asp

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Trying to find research money to fight a 900 billion dollar industry is difficult . As I am sure we all understand that .

Also snopes is a good site that in fact has never called the Aspartame claims as false but as unproven. The only thing they really have is from our FDA in the USA who of course will refute anything said . Often times snopes lists subjects as false if it debunked . So far they have not claimed that on aspartame .

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you want real peer reviewed studies I can post many of those as well. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2008.284/full. I just find most people find them boring . :)
Yes, I said in my first post about the subject, that a study had found an association between artificial sweeteners and weight gain, and there was a later study that had a different finding. I am busy with some other thing today so I'm not interested in spending time to find it at the moment, just to prove a point about aspartame. I am more perplexed as to why you accept naturalnews and mercola as authoritative sources, when you also know what peer review is? Did you read the article I linked about science red flags?

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In order to understanding scientific processes, one must also utilize logic to discern the probable from the unlikely. Looking at all aspects , from all sides would allow a person with an open mind to discern this. Believe it or not before research starts , there is pre research which is just this.

That's okay . This post was about my gastroparesis. Donellysdogs and I have had similar reactions to aspartame. I have an obviously opposing opinion than you. All I did was say what I felt about it and that seemed to have led us here.

I never said they were authoritative ? As I won't claim I am either . I was being sarcastic as it seemed that someone claimed my quote was from Mecola. I am more than aware of red flags . It's my profession. :)

Lastly, Pepsi may not be changing their recipe because they are concerned about their recipe but enough people have stopped drinking it and that must mean something .

Have a great day .

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
In order to understanding scientific processes, one must also utilize logic to discern the probable from the unlikely. Looking at all aspects , from all sides would allow a person with an open mind to discern this. Believe it or not before research starts , there is pre research which is just this.

That's okay . This post was about my gastroparesis. Donellysdogs and I have had similar reactions to aspartame. I have an obviously opposing opinion than you. All I did was say what I felt about it and that seemed to have led us here.

I never said they were authoritative ? As I won't claim I am either . I was being sarcastic as it seemed that someone claimed my quote was from Mecola. I am more than aware of red flags . It's my profession. :)

Lastly, Pepsi may not be changing their recipe because they are concerned about their recipe but enough people have stopped drinking it and that must mean something .

Have a great day .
People stopped drinking Pepsi because they were told aspartame was bad for them. So Pepsi switched to something else. That does not mean aspartame is bad for people. It means Pepsi wants to maintain sales. Business as usual.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sigh... If you aren't in the USA it won't matter because it only applies to us here. Not sure where you think people are being told that it was bad because in actuality people are being told it is safe. So the numbers of people who aren't drinking it may have come to that determination themselves or maybe not . As far as being told by our regulating agencies it is said that it is completely safe as you continue to state yourself. Some people would rather be safe than sorry and I can't see how anyone would argue that . I never had a clue when I stopped consuming it that it was an issue and I found it out alone . My children will not be consuming it . I have tooooo many illnesses that cannot be explained to take a chance when there are alternatives . I honestly do not understand why you continue to fault me for my opinion. Drink your drinks and sweeteners all you want . It won't change my experience .

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You say ''anecdotal'', I say ''n=1'' ;)

And if I'm the 1, that's all I care about really.

Reactions: 8 people