Goats milk or cows milk

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Which would be better for a low carb diet? I'm trying to find a better alternative to rolled oats, fruit and semi skimmed cows milk for breakfast.
I've been having milk shakes with crushed flax seed, a banana (or raspberries) and semi skimmed cows milk. I have a bowel condition so need the extra fibre.
Is goats milk less sugar than cows?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You would need to look at the nutrient breakdown of the different types of milk (Tescos website offers this for every food they sell).

I would give more consideration to whether you are going for full fat, semi or skimmed, because that affects the carb content a bit.
Also, lactofree, or not. Again, there are minor differences.

I have found that milk (containing whey proteins) affects my blood glucose to a surprisingly degree, so have eliminated it. I use cream, butter and cheese, which have had the whey removed, and have no problems.

Also, I think that if you check the carb content of bananas, you will find that they have a much higher carb content than the milk.

I find green smoothies, made with the appropriate balance of fruit and veg have a wonderful 'fibre presence' ;), no dairy, and minimal blood glucose impact. :)

Reactions: 5 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
You would need to look at the nutrient breakdown of the different types of milk (Tescos website offers this for every food they sell).

I would give more consideration to whether you are going for full fat, semi or skimmed, because that affects the carb content a bit.
Also, lactofree, or not. Again, there are minor differences.

I have found that milk (containing whey proteins) affects my blood glucose to a surprisingly degree, so have eliminated it. I use cream, butter and cheese, which have had the whey removed, and have no problems.

Also, I think that if you check the carb content of bananas, you will find that they have a much higher carb content than the milk.

I find green smoothies, made with the appropriate balance of fruit and veg have a wonderful 'fibre presence' ;), no dairy, and minimal blood glucose impact. :)
Would love to know how you make your green smoothie as I definitely need the 'fibre presence' lol:rolleyes:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would love to know how you make your green smoothie as I definitely need the 'fibre presence' lol:rolleyes:

Well,

I have a big blender, so the following will make about a 1.5 litre jug, which I would drink in 3x500mls.
I worked it all out once, and only remember the approx figs, but each 500mls gave approx 12g carb, and was about 130 cals. I think. But you have to understand that every smoothie varies a little, and whatever you throw into it will affect the result.

Have a look online and follow the link in my signature for green smoothie recipes, but I just stick to comparatively low carb ones, by choosing mainly berries as the fruit.

you want 60% veg and 40% fruit. approx (everything is approx!!!)

1 largish courgette
half a bag of spinach
Any other mild tasting veg you have handy, including carrots, peas, sugarsnaps,
1/3 punnet frozen pineapple
1/3 punnet frozen berries

pack into blender and add cold water or ice to at least half way up the contents.

Blitz.

Enjoy

Add anything else you fancy, including avocado or cashews or macadamia nuts (makes it creamy), superfood powders like spirulina, wheat or barley grass, hemp oil, etc.

Reactions: 7 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Well,

I have a big blender, so the following will make about a 1.5 litre jug, which I would drink in 3x500mls.
I worked it all out once, and only remember the approx figs, but each 500mls gave approx 12g carb, and was about 130 cals. I think. But you have to understand that every smoothie varies a little, and whatever you throw into it will affect the result.

Have a look online and follow the link in my signature for green smoothie recipes, but I just stick to comparatively low carb ones, by choosing mainly berries as the fruit.

you want 60% veg and 40% fruit. approx (everything is approx!!!)

1 largish courgette
half a bag of spinach
Any other mild tasting veg you have handy, including carrots, peas, sugarsnaps,
1/3 punnet frozen pineapple
1/3 punnet frozen berries

pack into blender and add cold water or ice to at least half way up the contents.

Blitz.

Enjoy

Add anything else you fancy, including avocado or cashews or macadamia nuts (makes it creamy), superfood powders like spirulina, wheat or barley grass, hemp oil, etc.

Thanks for this,Will definitely try, surprised about the pineapple, but love it. Before I started LCHF (to keep my husband company as he's type 2) I used to juice every day (lots of apples) as I don't like pure veg juices. Seems obvious now to use berries:banghead: as that's what I've substituted for apples in puds:)

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Do you use a Nutribullet for juicing? I've toyed with the idea of buying one. But don't want the novelty to wear off and it be pushed to the back of the cupboard. They are not cheap.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got a vitamix, but if it ever dies, i will definitely go for one of those bullet things.

The pineapple is too sweet really, but buried with the veg, it hardly makes an impact in my blood glucose.

Oh, and avocado is food too. Makes the smoothie really creamy.