When people say there is a cure for diabetes.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am wondering if you experience people who tell you that there is a cure for type 1 diabetes but researchers are "hiding " it ? Or tell you that exercise and diet will cure you even though you might explain it to them that it is not true in your case? I have had instances where people will actually start a debate about the "cure" and how besides diabetes there is also a cure for cancer as well. I no longer entertain these ideas with people but still hear it and wonder if others do as well ? I am not necessarily asking for advice on how to handle these " special" people but just curious if this happens to other people . I did have a person buy me a book that gave instructions on how to cure diabetes once . I was able to sell it on eBay for 2.50. It worked out great :)

Reactions: 3 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have heard people try to tell me there is a cure for diabetes, and cancer for that matter. I get really annoyed with the latter. If Oncologists had adequate scientific evidence of cures for cancer, they would support them.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard people try to tell me there is a cure for diabetes, and cancer for that matter. I get really annoyed with the latter. If Oncologists had adequate scientific evidence of cures for cancer, they would support them.
Maybe, maybe not. Call me cynical, but unless there's a profit factor, the medical system won't be interested. Interesting video with Prof Thomas Seyfried, so I'm in good company with my cynicism :)

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Maybe, maybe not. Call me cynical, but unless there's a profit factor, the medical system won't be interested. Interesting video with Prof Thomas Seyfried, so I'm in good company with my cynicism :)
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I genuinely believe that the Oncologists who have to watch people die everyday would not deliberately withhold a cure if they knew of one. They do their best with the tools they have available. Not all medical research is done in the commercial world. Some of it is paid for by universities, non profits, philanthropists, and government grants, so it is a little more independent than drug companies.

Thanks for posting the Seyfried video, it was interesting. I did a search and found this:
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ketogenic-diets-for-cancer-hype-versus-science/

Last edited by a moderator:

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No matter what someone's feelings are on if there is a cure it seems really insensitive to me for people to say. Especially to someone who is having a hard time with their disease, struggling or to say it in front of the persons children. I also remember hearing people say that to me as a child . I look back on that and wonder why they would do that . My son who is 10 asks me now if there is a cure and keeps saying he wants to find out who has it. I don't discount anything really but after a while it gets old and really serves no real positive purpose.

Reactions: 6 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No matter what someone's feelings are on if there is a cure it seems really insensitive to me for people to say. Especially to someone who is having a hard time with their disease, struggling or to say it in front of the persons children. I also remember hearing people say that to me as a child . I look back on that and wonder why they would do that . My son who is 10 asks me now if there is a cure and keeps saying he wants to find out who has it. I don't discount anything really but after a while it gets old and really serves no real positive purpose.
I agree, I think it's best for people to not say anything about diabetes unless they are a very close friend or relative, and even then they should be careful. If someone told me they had a certain medical condition I would say "sorry to hear that" or "that sounds hard, let me know if there's anything you need me to know about it or anything I can do to help", and then leave it at that. The only time people should talk to someone about their health is when they have been asked to, or they are a health provider treating that person, or it's an emergency like a hypo and they need to take action.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, totally agree on the insensitivity of discussing people's medical conditions like that.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I genuinely believe that the Oncologists who have to watch people die everyday would not deliberately withhold a cure if they knew of one. They do their best with the tools they have available. Not all medical research is done in the commercial world. Some of it is paid for by universities, non profits, philanthropists, and government grants, so it is a little more independent that drug companies.

Thanks for posting the Seyfried video, it was interesting. I did a search and found this:
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ketogenic-diets-for-cancer-hype-versus-science/
The problem appears to me to be that doctors are no longer the authorities in medicine, with insurance funds and governments setting agendas and setting up box ticking exercises on "best practice" etc - once bureaucrats and companies with profit-before-all-else motives get involved, I think it can only be to the detriment of a doctor's ability to do the best for their patients. I'd like to see medicine put back in the hands of those who practice it, especially when it comes to clinicial decisions. JMO.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/t1-cure-really.72332/page-4#post-782164
Morning, this was posted back in February and caused a lot of debate.

I still feel the same, I hope an eureka moment will happen one day, maybe not in my life time, but I will always live in hope ( something must come to the surface, as an alternative way,even if it is not an actual cure). Why wouldn't or shouldn't I have hope, I have a granddaughter with type 1,diagnosed at 2 1/2 years, I would rather she didn't have to spend her her whole life as someone with type 1 diabetes, which could be 70, 80, or even 90 + years, I would want that for everyone. I can feel a little cynical at times, but try to claw back that bit of hope still left in me.
Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 6 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an afterthought - there seems to be a similar mindset among oncologists on the subject of carb restriction that is very similar to the logic used about Type 2 - it's too hard, we couldn't possibly expect these poor cancer sufferers to restrict their diet along with everything else, so let's just not tell them about it because it's for their own good - the usual paternalistic excuses used by professionals on almost every subject. Like a keto diet is too hard, but chemo is easy-peasy :confused:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/t1-cure-really.72332/page-4#post-782164
Morning, this was posted back in February and caused a lot of debate.

I still feel the same, I hope an eureka moment will happen one day, maybe not in my life time, but I will always live in hope ( something must come to the surface, as an alternative way,even if it is not an actual cure). Why wouldn't or shouldn't I have hope, I have a granddaughter with type 1,diagnosed at 2 1/2 years, I would rather she didn't have to spend her her whole life as someone with type 1 diabetes, which could be 70, 80, or even 90 + years, I would want that for everyone. I can feel a little cynical at times, but try to claw back that bit of hope still left in me.
Best wishes RRB
I have hope too, and I believe one day someone might find a cure or at least better ways to treat diabetes. I just don't think anyone knows of a "cure" at the present time.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just an afterthought - there seems to be a similar mindset among oncologists on the subject of carb restriction that is very similar to the logic used about Type 2 - it's too hard, we couldn't possibly expect these poor cancer sufferers to restrict their diet along with everything else, so let's just not tell them about it because it's for their own good - the usual paternalistic excuses used by professionals on almost every subject. Like a keto diet is too hard, but chemo is easy-peasy :confused:
Did you read the article I linked above about ketogenic diets and cancer? There is overwhelming scientific evidence that chemo works, and no good evidence so far that a ketogenic diet cures cancer. Everyone knows chemo is hard, but in many cases it does work, along with radiation and surgery.

I think there is more evidence that a ketogenic diet works well for T2 diabetes and weight loss. Those are completely different to cancer though.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have hope too, and I believe one day someone might find a cure or at least better ways to treat diabetes. I just don't think anyone knows of a "cure" at the present time.

Thumbs up :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll admit, I didn't bother reading it because the title was enough to know what to expect. We all have our trusted sources - the sources I trust on keto and cancer are Seyfried, D'Agostino, Champ and others. I could spend my whole life reading stuff on the internet if I was so inclined, but I'm not.

I never said chemo didn't work - I just said that people should be given all the facts, not just the facts that doctors think they're ready to hear. And if people want to use it along with conventional therapy (which is probably what I would do if I was in that unpleasant situation), where's the harm even if there isn't some randomised control trial proving it or it's not accepted mainstream? It's not on the same level as faith healing or some of the socalled "cures" that have been touted.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree again.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'll admit, I didn't bother reading it because the title was enough to know what to expect. We all have our trusted sources - the sources I trust on keto and cancer are Seyfried, D'Agostino, Champ and others. I could spend my whole life reading stuff on the internet if I was so inclined, but I'm not.

I never said chemo didn't work - I just said that people should be given all the facts, not just the facts that doctors think they're ready to hear. And if people want to use it along with conventional therapy (which is probably what I would do if I was in that unpleasant situation), where's the harm even if there isn't some randomised control trial proving it or it's not accepted mainstream? It's not on the same level as faith healing or some of the socalled "cures" that have been touted.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree again.
Seyfried is claiming that a ketogenic diet cures cancer and he has proposed clinical trials that would involve cancer patients not having conventional treatment, so that a ketogenic diet could be studied. That is unethical and frankly it wouldn't fly if it was put up to a research ethics board. He is a biologist, not a medical practitioner. Some of what he says is interesting and promising, but his approach amounts to hype, that is not backed by oncological science at all, and I'm afraid his claims don't stand up to scrutiny. I think ketogenic diets are great for weight loss and T2 diabetes, but Seyfried goes too far when he pushes them as a cancer cure.

The reason an oncologist doesn't offer a patient a ketogenic diet as part of their treatment options is because there is no reason to believe that it would help with treating the cancer. So why would the oncologist want to get their hopes up unnecessarily? Doctors don't suggest things until there is good evidence that it will work. Otherwise medical care would be all over the place. There's also no evidence that it is safe for a cancer patient to follow a ketogenic diet. That has not been proven yet. Why take the risk of harm when there is no evidence of efficacy or safety?

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree if we're only prepared to read our trusted sources and not also read reviews of their work.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lets try and keep on the topic of type 1 cure :angelic::) any other debates ( and we know what happens there :rolleyes: ;)) should be the start of a new thread.

TTFN :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Edit:this isn't really on topic, I was following the thread.
I've actually never heard anyone except the occasional scam merchants on here say that there is a cure for diabetes.
I think that we may be able to prevent some types in the future (possibly very near future)

Mitochondrial diabetes for example could be eliminated (except for new mutations) through the use of donor mitochondrial DNA (3 person babies), controversial but approved in the UK. Regulations on it's use are being formulated .at the moment
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-31594856
We also have the theoretical capability of making heritable changes in DNA by 'editing' using the Crispr technique so it is possible that other sorts of MODY which involve the mutation in one gene could be prevented.
http://news.berkeley.edu/2015/03/19...spr-technology-to-treat-human-genetic-disease

Type 1 is harder, it's heritable but it's much more complicated since genes only predispose , something else triggers it in some and not in others ( and there are far more genes involved so lots of combinations possible from two parents )
They are still working on techniques to prevent or intervene in the 'pre diabetic' period.. Even if they succeed It won't help those who don't know they have a genetic susceptibility ie the majority.

Cure is a different matter for T1 my big hope for the future is with encapsulated stem cells https://www.jdrf.org.uk/news/latest...to-person-with-type-1-diabetes-for-first-time

Type 2 is hard because it's far more than one condition.Professor Gale suggested that it was category error : a disease in search of a definition , a 'ragbag' of conditions. He suggests it should be called idiopathic (don't know cause) hyperglycemia
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)62207-7/abstract (there's a video in which he discusses what this means in context of both treatment and cure)

Last edited by a moderator:

jgordon5

I haven't watched this yet but listened to a programme on BBC Radio 4 about the difficulty in getting researchers to look for new anribiotics because they're not profitable enough for pharmaceutical companies to be interested. It's very sad. You only have to look at the Ebola situation, while it only affected Africa and other poor countries the pharmaceuticals weren't interested but once it started to threaten the wealthy countries they were on it quick as a flash. So yes, I agree with you.

jgordon5

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I genuinely believe that the Oncologists who have to watch people die everyday would not deliberately withhold a cure if they knew of one. They do their best with the tools they have available. Not all medical research is done in the commercial world. Some of it is paid for by universities, non profits, philanthropists, and government grants, so it is a little more independent than drug companies.

There's also quite a lot of anecdotal evidence of dramatic cures or at least long lasting remission from a raw vegan diet.
I don't think it would be the oncologistsnwho would know about a cure. Pharmaceutical companies would though.