dvla visual fields test faulty equipment affected results- anyone else?

GeorgieB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Due to laser treatment years ago I have had to take the visual fields test every 3 years to retain my driving licence. I attended usual Diabetic eye clinic July 2014 passed the test. Call for dvla visual fields test came at the end of August 2014...failed the test. Lost my licence...have had to rely on friends, cabs, public transport for the last year.

Last week I receive a letter from the dvla explaining that the equipment was faulty and my results could have been affected. I can re take the test and hopefully drive again. I am really angry that my licence was revoked as a result of a faulty piece of equipment.

Has anyone else received a letter from the dvla? Do I have a case for compensation?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure if you could be compensated but certainly worth checking up on, hopefully now you will pass the field vision test and return to driving, keep the thread updated and let us know how you get on. Good luck.

GeorgieB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks...I'm interested to know whether this was just the opticians that I used or if it's more widespread than that. Diabetes UK advocacy team are on the case.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks...I'm interested to know whether this was just the opticians that I used or if it's more widespread than that. Diabetes UK advocacy team are on the case.

Wouldn't like to say if it's a widespread problem.

I've had to do the field vision test after having retinopathy problems 10+years ago, I've passed fine and not had any problems with the DVLA, strangely enough when I renewed my licence last year they didn't request the test so was pleased with that, but the advocacy service at DUK are very good so hopefully they'll guide you on this matter. Again good luck.

GeorgieB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've taken the test 5 times over the last 15 years...lifestyle changing when you've driven for 30 years and are te only one in your household who drives...pretty far reaching consequences that may be due to a mistake...roll on the new test.

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
A mate of mine failed his PSV eye test at his opticians & his PSV license was revoked.

A year later he got a letter out of the blue stating that a mistake had occured, didn't say where the mistake happened & he could apply for his PSV back !

The DVLA (a private entity) can & do, just as they like.

GeorgieB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's really frustrating and appears the machine may be soecsavers so am going to contact the mand kick up a stink. Trekking across London using public transport cost me £125 last week, putting some petrol in my car would have been 20. Tut.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Due to laser treatment years ago I have had to take the visual fields test every 3 years to retain my driving licence. I attended usual Diabetic eye clinic July 2014 passed the test. Call for dvla visual fields test came at the end of August 2014...failed the test. Lost my licence...have had to rely on friends, cabs, public transport for the last year.

Last week I receive a letter from the dvla explaining that the equipment was faulty and my results could have been affected. I can re take the test and hopefully drive again. I am really angry that my licence was revoked as a result of a faulty piece of equipment.

Has anyone else received a letter from the dvla? Do I have a case for compensation?
Yes you are entitled to compensation from the firm using the faulty machine. Go and see a solicitor for advice. The problem is in more than one place as the same firm had problems in a Cornwall branch a friend of mine kicked up one unholy stink over it.

GeorgieB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh thank you. I am waiting for them to come back to me. Will see what they say. What was the procedure for your friend? Were they successful? My test was last August...when was your friends?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Oh thank you. I am waiting for them to come back to me. Will see what they say. What was the procedure for your friend? Were they successful? My test was last August...when was your friends?
Friends test was earlier this year, The firm admitted there was a problem and the DVLA insisted the test was retaken 3 times.

GeorgieB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently 650 people were affected and dvla are taking responsibility. Have filed complaint and am waiting for response.

Reactions: 4 people

SiameseTom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I,ve been affected by the same problem. I failed by field test at a Coop optician in April 2014. A few weeks ago the DVLA wrote to me advising that faulty equipment was used and advising me to retake the test. I sent all the forms in and was retested at Specsavers a couple of weeks ago. I must say incidentally that I found Specsavers to be very professional. A few days ago I got a new driving license through the post with not a word of explanation, this was followed a couple of days later by another letter saying I had passed the test and to expect a license within 15 days! I'm obviously delighted that I passed the test, but angry that the DVLA have not seen fit to offer a single word of apology. They have clearly not managed the test process professionally, nor in any way indicated that they appreciate the cost and huge inconvenience of taking someones license away in error. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has complained formally, and I hope that others who have lost their license in this way will regain them as I did