Bydureon - Black Box Warning

BlueTwist

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I've just commenced Bydureon this morning (previously used Victoza but had to cease due to side effects) I was shocked to see in the UK information leaflet there is no Black Box Warning about Thyroid Cancer / Tumours as there is for the USA.

You only have to visit the official
website to see quite clearly that it states:

POSSIBLE THYROID TUMORS, INCLUDING CANCER: Tell your healthcare provider if you get a lump or swelling in your neck, hoarseness, trouble swallowing, or shortness of breath. These may be symptoms of thyroid cancer. In animal studies, BYDUREON and medicines that work like it caused thyroid tumors, including thyroid cancer. It is not known if BYDUREON will cause thyroid tumors or a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) in people.

Do not use BYDUREON if you or any of your family members have ever had MTC or if you have an endocrine system condition called Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2).

So why no warning in the UK or are we not worthy of this information?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I've just commenced Bydureon this morning (previously used Victoza but had to cease due to side effects) I was shocked to see in the UK information leaflet there is no Black Box Warning about Thyroid Cancer / Tumours as there is for the USA.

You only have to visit the official
website to see quite clearly that it states:

POSSIBLE THYROID TUMORS, INCLUDING CANCER: Tell your healthcare provider if you get a lump or swelling in your neck, hoarseness, trouble swallowing, or shortness of breath. These may be symptoms of thyroid cancer. In animal studies, BYDUREON and medicines that work like it caused thyroid tumors, including thyroid cancer. It is not known if BYDUREON will cause thyroid tumors or a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) in people.

Do not use BYDUREON if you or any of your family members have ever had MTC or if you have an endocrine system condition called Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2).

So why no warning in the UK or are we not worthy of this information?
I agree, the lack of info about the risks of this and other diabetes drugs is not good.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I am tempted the write to the licence holder to ask why this information has been omitted.
I'd imagine that the UK regulatory authority doesn't require the black box warning. They're really the people who should be held to account, I think.