Poll - side effects from statins?

If you have used statins, did you experience significant side effects from using them?

• Total voters

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I've just made a very important discovery and just because my MIL wanted to know how they make Tequila. This stuff is amazing, it's meant to avoid hangovers, lower cholesterol and lower BG. Have a google if you have a few hours spare. LOL
I think if my GP starts to have a go about statins and lowering cholesterol, I'll insist on trying tequila first.

Well that's one heck of a way to start your day!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm starting to wish I had taken more statins, so I could get paid out by the inevitable class action suit and retire in comfort and splendour. ;-)

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've come to the conclusion that the strong drive to push cholesterol down is linked to the increase in Alzheimer's that is being seen, so I've stopped taking Statins, eat cleanly (apart from occasionally) and am letting my body do its own thing. Would I rather die of a heart attack at 60 or have ten years with Alzheimer's? Probably the former so I'll go without the statins.

Reactions: 10 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What about the new drug alternative??
Repatha...... Statins about £20 a year and this new drug more than.....(wait for it).......

£4,000 per year per patient!!

Don't think they stand a chance of CCGs allowing anybody to have that!!!

Reactions: 8 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Repatha...... Statins about £20 a year and this new drug more than.....(wait for it).......

Haha - and my GP was complaining about the cost of my Rosuvastatin ;)

Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Hang on a minute, here's another alternative:

Healthy eating, drinking and daily activity...

Cost to the NHS? Probably £30bn annual saving.

Cost to the 'patient'? Probably £,1000 annual saving.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

That depends upon how much is placed in the appropriate brown envelopes.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've come to the conclusion that the strong drive to push cholesterol down is linked to the increase in Alzheimer's that is being seen
Makes a lot of sense since the brain is basically made of cholesterol. Block the ability to make cholesterol with statins (and it can only be made, the body can't absorb it from food) and you block the ability to repair and maintain the brain, as well as many other tissues and organs.

Reactions: 6 people

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
I went back to my GP re back and leg ache on Atvorstatin...she said as I've had the same problem with two statins [simvastatin and this one] she's not hopeful that another will be any different but has prescribed Rosuvastatin.... will give it a whirl but not hopeful. She actually said 'Really sorry but you may have to put up with the aches and pains'.

That's when I gave up [for the moment !] . I didn't bother to tell her that I had been walking bent forward and feet splayed a bit like a duck, what was the point, she didn't understand. Have to go back in a month and am having blood tests re enzymes.

I googled earlier and found an alternative one called Ezetimibe, has anyone tried them...?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went back to my GP re back and leg ache on Atvorstatin...she said as I've had the same problem with two statins [simvastatin and this one] she's not hopeful that another will be any different but has prescribed Rosuvastatin.... will give it a whirl but not hopeful. She actually said 'Really sorry but you may have to put up with the aches and pains'.

That's when I gave up [for the moment !] . I didn't bother to tell her that I had been walking bent forward and feet splayed a bit like a duck, what was the point, she didn't understand. Have to go back in a month and am having blood tests re enzymes.

I googled earlier and found an alternative one called Ezetimibe, has anyone tried them...?
Yes I have. A lowered dose of Atorvastatin with Ezetimbe. No problems.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Change your lifestyle; it's more effective and better for you.

I don't say that it's easy and it requires determination, but your health and your life will be far better for it.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Change your lifestyle; it's more effective and better for you.

I don't say that it's easy and it requires determination, but your health and your life will be far better for it.

Change my lifestyle in what way do you mean, I'd be interested to hear...? I follow Lowish Carb Highish Fat , since I discovered this forum a couple of years ago. I don't do an awful lot of exercise apart from walking, which I love. Have been diabetic for 16 years, Type 2, but of course, at the time of diagnosis, none of us were as knowledgeable about carbs as we now are. Still only on Metformin though, as I do think I've been careful and I'm not a huge eater.

They say diabetes is a progressive disease and yes it is if you follow what the NHS recommend diet wise and I'm only sorry I didn't become diabetic later than I did and knew then what I know now :rolleyes:

Cholesterol was 6.9 before taking Atvorstatin, then 4.1 after a couple of weeks, obviously a quick worker ! I've started taking Benecol again, as I used to think it was just an advertising con but have heard good reports. We shall see !

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep I had ezetimibe. Research consultant said It was useless. It still gave me pains...research consultant (for chronic diseases) said I would be better off taking 1 tablet of 10mg atorovastain a week than the Ezemtibe.

My levels were 5.0 total cholesterol so I stayed with my plant sterols instead. I eat med diet foods and HDL 2.1 (above target).

silky1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow - strong weight towards side effects and discontinuing - my carotid arteries (much to everyone's surprise are lovely and clear - I'm going to push to hold off on starting the statins until my next set of blood tests to see if the lifestyle changes I've made impact on all my blood results

My mum has been on Pravastatin since her heart attack 15 years ago (she is now 81) - but I know my late father (who I seemed to have inherited more from) had terrible problems taking statins which make me really nervous - with my Fibro, Spinal issues and skin problems and now diabetes - to my mind I'm already taking too many tablets :(

Reactions: 4 people

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After months of no side effects I started to get leg pain/heavy feeling including the weird sensation of my feet not working properly/tripping up, back pain, tiredness, feeling miserable, etc. I decided to stop the statins and 3 weeks later I am starting to feel more like my oldself. Maybe they were connected to the statins maybe they weren't but having come off the statins they've definitely reduced significantly.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
After months of no side effects I started to get leg pain/heavy feeling including the weird sensation of my feet not working properly/tripping up, back pain, tiredness, feeling miserable, etc. I decided to stop the statins and 3 weeks later I am starting to feel more like my oldself. Maybe they were connected to the statins maybe they weren't but having come off the statins they've definitely reduced significantly.

That is definitely statin related... read the small print in the leaflet, your symptoms will be listed.