Back to school and not looking forward to breakfasts!

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The summer holidays have been a great breakfast times for me, pancakes, English breakfasts etc... However back to work means that I am in school by 6.45am to start the day and I just can't face eating a big meal that early on in the day, yet I struggle to find palatable alternatives that I can eat a bit later at work that aren't faffy! I have a fridge and microwave, and 2 mornings a week have a cooked breakfast at work, but the other 3 it's cereal and toast only which is of no use to me doing Lchf. Help?!

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
The summer holidays have been a great breakfast times for me, pancakes, English breakfasts etc... However back to work means that I am in school by 6.45am to start the day and I just can't face eating a big meal that early on in the day, yet I struggle to find palatable alternatives that I can eat a bit later at work that aren't faffy! I have a fridge and microwave, and 2 mornings a week have a cooked breakfast at work, but the other 3 it's cereal and toast only which is of no use to me doing Lchf. Help?!
Greek yoghurt mixed with shredded coconut, cocoa powder and sweetener to taste.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm actually just thinking about things like hard boiled eggs, half a tin of tuna, portions of chicken, olives, or there are some recipes out there for egg muffins made of ham/bacon/mushroom/cheese in a muffin tray the filled with egg and baked. Looks like crestless quiche. Should be planning now but I'm sure there are other things to do.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb muffins - pre-prepared and easily portable. pre cooked sausages?

Try also starting your morning with a mug of coffee and cream to keep you going until you can eat... I won't actually recommend Bulletproof coffee, but you could also add a teaspoon of coconut oil for a bit more energy.

Robbity

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't drink tea or coffee, so hot drinks out of the question.
I struggle if the volume of food I eat is too small, even if it's suitably nutritious, e.g. Greek yogurt would just not fill me up enough to even get to morning break, let alone lunchtime.
I've also struggled with the mini egg muffin type things for the same reason, just not satisfying enough!
Last term I had a few sausages which were ok but felt like snack food rather than a 'meal' which if you are sitting and eating it with colleagues who are having cereal and toast just feels wrong!

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb muffins - pre-prepared and easily portable. pre cooked sausages?

Try also starting your morning with a mug of coffee and cream to keep you going until you can eat... I won't actually recommend Bulletproof coffee, but you could also add a teaspoon of coconut oil for a bit more energy.

Robbity
What muffin recipes would you recommend?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was in your situation I used to use the whey protein type shakes for breakfast. The only thoughts I had were similar to previous suggestions ie muffins made with crust less quiche mix. I've just had quiche for my tea and it was delicious. Berries and yoghurt is my favourite breakfast at present. I hope you find something you like that solves your problem :)

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I will have to experiment! Also doesn't help that mornings at school are my really busy time, as I am the person who organises everything, including cover for any absent colleagues etc...
Perhaps I need to steal the cooking box hot plate and fry up some courgette noodles or something!!!

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't mean to interfere but this is the quiche recipe I used and I could see it easily adapting to muffins. I didn't use low fat cheese though.
ingredient
  • 220g bacon, cut into 1cm pieces
  • 110g mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 large eggs
  • 150g cottage cheese
  • 3–4 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
  • 80g cheddar
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Olive oil
method
  1. Remove all visible fat from the bacon and fry for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms garlic, season well and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes then set aside
  2. Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C Fan/Gas 5.
  3. Spoon the bacon mixture into a flan dish.
  4. Mix the eggs, cottage cheese, parsley and cheddar cheese in a bowl and spoon over the bacon mixture.
  5. Top with the tomato halves and bake at 190°C/170°C Fan/Gas 5 for 15-20 minutes until just set.
I hope this is of some help. I must admit I didn't add the garlic and I think I used more cheese than that. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The easiest quickest and simplest low carb brekkie EVER is

Sliced ham and/or sliced cheese

You can arrange it however you like - boiling your own ham once a week, and buying half a cheddar wheel, or keepinging pre-sliced cold meat and cheese in the work fridge. But the end result is equally delicious, incredibly quick, and can be eaten on the run. No cutlery, no plates, no sandwhich bags, no kettle or micro. Just open fridge, layer cheese and ham together, and wander off with the food in your hand, chomping.

Reactions: 10 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Hi I also work at 6.45 at breakfast club for children before taking them to school, I always have Greek yoghurt with berries fills me up till lunch

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What muffin recipes would you recommend?
Mine! :D:D Here. You can add whatever you fancy to the basic recipe, and cut the savoury version in half and add butter, cheese, meats, pâté, etc, or the sweet version and add nut butter.

There's actually masses of low carb recipes for (low carb) one minute muffins or muffins in a mug, so it's worth googling for more recipes too.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat during my morning commute every day. This morning, it was cheddar & ring bologna (I love that stuff) and it is worth the 2gm carbs to me.
I also wrap uncured ham or turkey around a slice or two of cheese, a natural pork sausage (bratwurst size, not breakfast link size), too.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Berries and thickened cream keep me going for hours. I love them.

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well did contemplate cooking this morning but I just couldn't face it at 6am! So had a spoon of pink fluff and then at work at 7.30am had half a lidl roll and Brie

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
Do you have access to a Lidl? They sell high protein rolls, they are triangular and in the baking section. Half of one is only 5 carbs. They are lovely toasted and spread with butter or peanut butter. This is what I have when I have time for breakfast at school. Also very nice with a sliced boiled egg on top.

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well did contemplate cooking this morning but I just couldn't face it at 6am! So had a spoon of pink fluff and then at work at 7.30am had half a lidl roll and Brie

I don't know what your family circumstances are, and how you cook at home, but for the times MrB is elsewhere, and I am on my own, I now have the world's largest collection of smallish clip-top pots. Personally, I don't enjoy cooking for one, as much as cooking for more, so that means I will often have leftovers. The leftovers go into clip top boxes, and I either freeze or eat later. Most cooked dishes are safe in the fridge for 3-4 days (day 1 being the day of cooking, in my world), so it can ease the creative burden.

I'm not suggesting chicken vindaloo as your work day breakfast, but what about something like kedgeree made with cauliflower rice? Mocaronie cheese (again cauli), that sort of thing.

Additionally, you could buy a multi pack of chicken thighs (so much tastier and meatier than wings or drummers, in my view), and roast them - you could use spiced coatings if you like, or plain. Freeze individually, then when it suits, take one out of the freezer to fridge to defrost overnight for brekkers, with absolutely no cooking required whatsoever, on the day? You could easily cook 10 thighs in 45 minutes in the oven, another 15 minutes involved in packing for the freezer, and you have 10 meals in under an hour that are low carb and tasty.

I've also created salt grinders with various combos of spices and salts - salt and chilli, salt and garlic, etc. Just a couple of twists changes the flavour of something really simple. If I want something to go along with it, I almost always have a vat of home made coleslaw on the go, or someone suggested of the supermarket brands, the Tesco Everyday Value Coleslaw is lowest carb off the shelf. Half a tub of that (the tub is 250gr) comes to about 4-5 gr carb, if I recall. It's not as rich as my delicious home made version, but it's convenient, in an instant, and if I recall, under 30p a tub.

There are a million options, once you get your head around the need to think ahead and acquire the means of storing your treasures if need be. If your school fridge has a freezer compartment, you can even store your treasures there, taking breakfast out of the freezer box before going home the day before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I normally have prosciutto, cheese, olives, and a few tomatoes, admittedly with a couple of heavily seeded biscuits, but if you leave those out it should be ok and travel well.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having been a senior manager in a school for any years I sympathise. Life, and controlling my diet and diabetes, has been so much easier since I downsized my career in 2010 (now tutor & do consultancy work).
I'd go for brunneria's suggestion - sort of Germanic brekkie wthout the bread (oh how I miss ryebread and pumpernickle). Slices of salami, parma ham and cheese are great and keep for longer than wet ham. You can keep them all in a box in the fridge and make up what I like to think of as a 'nibble plate' - lots of little pieces of different things akes me feel like I've eaten more. Pre cooked bacon, either DIY or crispy stuff from the supermarket, is good too, along with hard boiled eggs. Invest in a small frying pan and make a bacon tortilla the night before - quick work - would also be good.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like the Spanish cold Tapas.
Always a good snack when I'm there, but obviously easy on the bread!

A lot of those, hot and cold, are low carb, and simple to prepare.