What do you eat for breakfast?

catmazdo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

I'd like to get some inspiration from you type 2 friends out there.

My BG levels are not coming down as quickly as I'd like. I was diagnosed 3 months ago and my levels very rarely dip below 11. Fasting level is always around the 11.2 mark.

I REALLY struggle eating breakfast but I do eat every morning. I'm a fussy eater too which doesn't help matters. I'm struggling to find something I enjoy to eat at breakfast time that not high in carbs. I currently have cereals, I measure out a mugs worth of either cornflakes or rice krispies. I don't have sugar on cereals or in tea.

The nurse told me to eat porridge. I don't like porridge at all. I've tried. It just makes me feel sick. As does weetabix.

What do you eat for breakfast that's quick and simple to do before work?

I'd love to hear you suggestions x

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi all,

I'd like to get some inspiration from you type 2 friends out there.

My BG levels are not coming down as quickly as I'd like. I was diagnosed 3 months ago and my levels very rarely dip below 11. Fasting level is always around the 11.2 mark.

I REALLY struggle eating breakfast but I do eat every morning. I'm a fussy eater too which doesn't help matters. I'm struggling to find something I enjoy to eat at breakfast time that not high in carbs. I currently have cereals, I measure out a mugs worth of either cornflakes or rice krispies. I don't have sugar on cereals or in tea.

The nurse told me to eat porridge. I don't like porridge at all. I've tried. It just makes me feel sick. As does weetabix.

What do you eat for breakfast that's quick and simple to do before work?

I'd love to hear you suggestions x
I avoid all cereals and porridge because they are high carb. I usually eat a bowl of berries, full fat greek natural yoghurt, ground flaxseed, and a little cream :) So yummy. If I feel like something savoury and I have more time, I do scrambled eggs with cream or cheese, garlic mushrooms, and bacon or low carb sausages.

If I don't feel like breakfast I delay it for a couple of hours. The berries and yoghurt are light and soft and creamy and cool (did I mention they are also YUM), and easy to prepare.

What sorts of things are you eating for the rest of the day?

Reactions: 6 people

catmazdo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Berries and natural yoghurt sounds amazing! I need to try that.

I'm struggling to keep carbs to a minimum which isnt helping me get my numbers down. I seem to eat chicken salad, tuna salad, cheese salad. Nothing but salad! It's driving me crazy. And as we're almost in autumn a sale just isn't going to cut it. I normally go for stodgy comfort food but this year it's not an option. I'm looking for a good diabetic cookbook to buy.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Berries and natural yoghurt sounds amazing! I need to try that.

I'm struggling to keep carbs to a minimum which isnt helping me get my numbers down. I seem to eat chicken salad, tuna salad, cheese salad. Nothing but salad! It's driving me crazy. And as we're almost in autumn a sale just isn't going to cut it. I normally go for stodgy comfort food but this year it's not an option. I'm looking for a good diabetic cookbook to buy.

I have found I need to increase the fats so I feel satisfied, and I am confident that this is not doing me harm. Eating this way gives me the same positive feelings that stodgy comfort food used to, without the heaviness and low energy that eating a lot of carbs did.

There are lots of nice things to eat besides salad. Today for an afternoon snack I had chorizo salami with aged cheddar cheese, it was amazing. For lunch I had more berries and yoghurt, because you can eat whatever you want as long as it's not too many carbs. For dinner I had low carb sausages with steamed carrots, brocolli, and leftover garlic mushrooms with sliced toasted almonds and cheese melted over them. You can probably even gather ideas from the forum without needing to buy a book :)

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs - take only a minute to fry or scramble, or sometimes I boil a dozen on an evening and just eat 1-2 in the morning with some cream cheese or similar.

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weekdays: Coffee n cream (my dawn phenomenon has reduced since i stopped both protein and carbs for breakfast)

Weekends: some combo of bacon, eggs, low carb sausages, mushrooms, cheese and/or tomato

Reactions: 3 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I usually grill 3 rashers of bacon.
Occasionally I'll scramble a couple of eggs in butter.
If I have more time I'll make a bulletproof coffee (coffee with added fats).

Any of those will keep me going until lunch easily.

Reactions: 3 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs, bacon, cheese and nuts, yogurt... sometimes fish, (kippers)...

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Umm it really depends on how much time I have or how hungry.
Sometimes:
500ml water with lemon and/or
200ml hot chocolate fat drink

This am - just chia and linseeds with homemade almond milk with a 1/4 of nectarine sliced in it.

If I have lots of time then invariably I pootle around until I'm starvin like Marvin then have brunch of some major egg proportions...

Good luck

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just treat breakfast as an "I can eat anything" type meal rather than the time to eat traditional breakfast foods so it far more flexible - and this way you can eat whatever you fancy or can cope with first thing - it definitely makes life easier. If I really don't feel the need to eat then a mug of coffee with cream (like Brunneria) will keep me going until I'm ready to eat.

Robbity

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Umm it really depends on how much time I have or how hungry.
Sometimes:
500ml water with lemon and/or
200ml hot chocolate fat drink

This am - just chia and linseeds with homemade almond milk with a 1/4 of nectarine sliced in it.

If I have lots of time then invariably I pootle around until I'm starvin like Marvin then have brunch of some major egg proportions...

Good luck

Starvin like Marvin :) Is that a reference to an episode of The Kids From Fame in the early 1980s? That's where i first heard the phrase :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a mix depending on how much time I have. When I'm working I generally have hot oat cereal to which I add oat bran and milled flax seed with whole milk and water or a small portion of bran flakes to which I add nuts and blueberries and have with either whole milk or cream if available - I'm aware that these b/fasts are a little carby' but I've tested them on numerous occasions and they do not spike my BS. At w/ends it's usually eggs - fried, poached or scrambled and one slice of toast - I use seeded bread. Occasionally it's full fat Greek yogurt with whatever berries are available and milled flax seed sprinkled on top.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I normally go the Eggs & Bacon route, but when I get bored with that I'll have Greek Yoghurt with chopped nuts and seeds, some linseed/flaxseed and maybe some berries. I've started adding cream to my quadruple espressos recently which is surprisingly nicer than I expected (the coffee is strong enough to still be the main event)

debsue21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Im trying to lose weight so I have a green smoothie made in my Nutribullet and also have one for lunch. my sugars are between 5 and 7 now

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I usually have raspberries or blackberries with Greek style yoghurt. I made an ugg foods chia seed and nut loaf which I froze in two slice portions, so , if I haven't any berries I tend to have the bread toasted and smothered in anchor butter. :)

Wazza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
None really
I have a Nutribullet bender and stuff some spinach, celery, nuts and various lowish sugar fruit etc and blitz up a drink.. Tastes great and is really quick

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Na, cockney rhyming slang

Hank Marvin - Starvin
Ah, the Americans must have stolen it from the Brits then.

Someone said in a post a while back "you should take a butcher's at this"... luckily I knew what that meant :)

BlueTwist

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I avoid all cereals and porridge because they are high carb. I usually eat a bowl of berries, full fat greek natural yoghurt, ground flaxseed, and a little cream :) So yummy. If I feel like something savoury and I have more time, I do scrambled eggs with cream or cheese, garlic mushrooms, and bacon or low carb sausages.

If I don't feel like breakfast I delay it for a couple of hours. The berries and yoghurt are light and soft and creamy and cool (did I mention they are also YUM), and easy to prepare.

What sorts of things are you eating for the rest of the day?

Yoghurt and berries, I need to try this. Do you use frozen berries or fresh?