Side effects of Furosemide?

KimSuzanne

I've been seeing nephrologists recently as I had a slightly raised potassium 5.5 for the last 6 months. They discharged me but the blood tests they did have shown my potassium has risen to 6.4 I 4 weeks. I got a letter today to diagnose mild chronc kidney disease, what a way for a Saturday to get better.

Sorry I'll get to the point, they have put me on furosemide , normally I would research any drug they ask me to take as I am a brittle type 1 but they want me to start taking this right now. Does I have any effects on people's blood sugars or interact with insulin. I spoke the pharmacist but theywere a bit hazy and having been given amazing advice here before I wondered if anyone could give me their experiences?

Thank you in advance.
Kim

S

Shar67

It can affect your blood sugar levels, so you would need to test regularly every day.
I was prescribed this but only managed one day due to other side effects with other meds

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have no experience with furosemide and diabetes but I took it years ago for another issue. Just want to let you know it can make you need to pee urgently, lol. So try to time your dose so you will be at home for several hours afterwards, or close to a toilet. Also note that if you have any tendency toward leakage when coughing, sneezing, dancing or jumping up and down (lol) then be aware that this can make it worse. A friend of mine has to take it and she loves aerobics so she takes it after the class. You might need to use some sort of leakage protection, if you get my drift. See how you go - good luck.

KimSuzanne

Thank you both. I started it this morning I test my sugars a lot anyway but I've discovered it is lowering my sugars an I javae also discovered if I drink I do need to b close to the toilet.

I don't know if its normal but my back is really hurting as well. Its turned into a terrible weekend.

Kim

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know on the blood sugar side but if you have kidney problems then I advise you take it. It's designed to remove excess fluid from you body reducing the strain on liver and kidneys. I'm a community nurse and have lots of the older generation on them to help with oedema in their legs

Reactions: 2 people

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I take it due to heart failure. In the main, it doesn't effect my BGL, it can slightly lower it though. Yes, it does make you pee a lot, that is it's main objective. It is a diuretic. It lowers the fluid level in your body.

Reactions: 3 people

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had terrible problems with that diuretic and it was stopped. I suffered terrible cramps but the new one doesn't cause any concern apart from peeing all morning lol doing its job !!! I have not noticed raising my blood sugars at all. I have only one kidney and renal functions are ok. I have swollen ankles due to other medical conditions hence the diuretic. Best of luck x

G

graj0

Does I have any effects on people's blood sugars or interact with insulin. I spoke the pharmacist but they were a bit hazy and having been given amazing advice here before I wondered if anyone could give me their experiences?

I'm not surprised they were hazy, just google "furosemide side effects", I think the manufacturers must be covering their backsides because just about anything can be put down to the stuff. See http://www.drugs.com/sfx/furosemide-side-effects.html

In my experience it just made me pee a lot, although not really a side effect, because that's what it's meant to do. Don't forget that all drugs will affect different people in different ways, and for some people a particular drug may not even do it's job.

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
It's good for my COPD and blood pressure.

Reactions: 2 people

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to be careful tho regarding blood pressure as if to higher does it can drop your bp

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
You need to be careful tho regarding blood pressure as if to higher does it can drop your bp
My BP along with my COPD and Diabetes are carefully manged at my surgery.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on furosemide for a few years following diagnosis of heart failure. Eighteen months since my bypass operation and now no longer need them. They never gave me any problems with my diabetes but I was taken off spironolactine a couple of years ago as my potassium levels had reached a dangerous level.