ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi guys,
I am newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I am struggling to understand anything about it.
I don't know what I can and cant eat, I don't know if it is serious and should be worried... my parents keep telling me it is very serious, but other people I have spoke to say it is just about moderation on food intake and looking at what I eat. I have joined today to get support and help off other type 2s that can give me advice and guidance!

Thanks in advance guys!

Claire
x

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi @ClaireLou94

What do you eat? (diet breakdown meal by meal please) what were your last readings, what is your weight?

Kick it off from there and we'll help. You have an ENORMOUS resource here and great people.

Mike

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi @Mike D
for breakfast I have porridge or a bowl of cheerio's

dinner time is normally a sandwich on seeded bread with ham or tuna or chicken, sometimes I have a salad followed by fruit and a bag of quavers.
Tea can be anything from chicken and pasta, jacket potato with cottage cheese, salads, beans on toast, rice noodles with chicken and veg, it just depends what is being made..
My last reading was before breakfast and it was 6.1, I take my bloods 4 times a day...
my weight when I was first weighed was 16.11 I was weighed again recently and I was 16.09.

Thank you ! I need all the help I can get! it is so hard to get my head around, I have that many appointments as well my brain is like mush! :confused:

Claire

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
You'll be good :)

Thanks for the honesty :)

To many MANY people here, pasta is a "no no", so are the noodles (full of carbs that will convert to sugar really quickly shoot up your readings) as is the potato. Cutting out carbs is critical

Those (or that) reading (6.1) is not too bad at all. Did you have a HBA1c (Bloods) and do you know the result?

Slow steps .... the more we know about you, the better the advice. There'll be people here that'll walk you thru it, so worry not.

.... and exercise is important ....

Mike :)

Reactions: 6 people

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
so no pasta noodles and potato? :)
My readings range from 4.9 to about 9.0 now, when I first stated taking them they was always around 7 - 11 ..
is HBA1c the level when you had your blood test done, so like the overall level over the last 3 months? if so mine was 15 ?
If not I don't have a clue sorry :/
I have been doing exercise, I have been talking to and from work and been going to tramp2lean

Claire x

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

Preferably not @ClaireLou94 . Some (a few) can get away with that stuff, but MANY cannot. You have those numbers down, so great work.

I'll tag @daisy1 who'll give you a LOT of info which you need to read.

It remains for most that the trick, is (1) diet, (2) portion control and (3) upping the work rate insofar as weight is concerned

I'm in OZ so hopefully, others will chime in. Very late here :)

Good luck. Mike

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My readings range from 4.9 to about 9.0 now, when I first stated taking them they was always around 7 - 11 ..
is HBA1c the level when you had your blood test done, so like the overall level over the last 3 months? if so mine was 15 ?
If not I don't have a clue sorry :/
I have been doing exercise, I have been talking to and from work and been going to tramp2lean

Claire x
Hi Claire

Your results are looking good, they have come down a lot so far. I'd suggest that if you can be around 4.9 or even up to 5.5 before a meal, then reducing some carbs should ensure you only spike by about 2 points, which will keep you under the target limit of 7.8.

15 sounds like it was probably your HbA1c, which is pretty high, but if you keep doing what you're doing, and reduce some carbs, it should be much better at your 3 month test.

In your OP you said your parents are telling you this is serious and others says it's just about changing your eating - well, they are both right, IMO. Exercise helps but reducing carbs is very important. You will also most probably find that it helps you lose some weight too.

I went from 22 stone to 12 stone in a year through low carbing, and if I can do it, anyone can :)

Reactions: 6 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Weight loss can reduce insulin resistance which helps sugar levels. My husband lost one and a half stone and his HbA1c came down to below diabetic level. He is still overweight but that reduction did the trick. He's on diet with no medication.

There's a lot to learn. My hubby used to drink lots of fruit juice until I pointed out that I took orange juice when hypo (I'm Type 1) because of the high sugar levels in it - it's the same as drinking a glass of coke, which he had stopped taking.

This forum and Google are great places to learn about living with diabetes. It is a serious condition but if you look after yourself you'll be fine.

Ceres

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Claire - welcome! I'm brand new to the forum, too, but I've been reading it since before my T2 diagnosis was confirmed earlier this week, and have found it to be a wealth of good information. I'm also a younger T2 and am very overweight, so I have adopted a low calorie, low-carb/high fat diet. My blood sugar has already dropped considerably (into non-diabetic numbers), and I am losing weight at a good rate.

I am still coming to terms with my own diagnosis, but this forum has helped me immensely in realising that I can take steps to mitigate the seriousness of this disease and stay happy and healthy.

Reactions: 8 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@ClaireLou94

Hello ClaireLou and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. This will show you what low carbing is all about! It will help you to keep your levels down. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to reply.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Claire

Welcome to the family! You have come to the right place to educate yourself about diabetes. It looks like you are already doing some great work with getting your levels down, I wish I had done so as soon as I was diagnosed (I was in my 20s but it took until very recently before I took it seriously).
I would echo what has been said about trying a low carb/high fat diet, it has been almost like a magic bullet in that my levels reduced within 3 weeks of starting it. The first 2 weeks were hard as I was going through cold turkey from carbs, but I've never felt so good. Give it a go and see how it affects you.

Are you on any medication?

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi Claire

Welcome to the family! You have come to the right place to educate yourself about diabetes. It looks like you are already doing some great work with getting your levels down, I wish I had done so as soon as I was diagnosed (I was in my 20s but it took until very recently before I took it seriously).
I would echo what has been said about trying a low carb/high fat diet, it has been almost like a magic bullet in that my levels reduced within 3 weeks of starting it. The first 2 weeks were hard as I was going through cold turkey from carbs, but I've never felt so good. Give it a go and see how it affects you.

Are you on any medication?

I am glad that I joined, I was lost for the first week as I knew nothing I was diagnosed then a nurse came out to see me! I have been eating healthy cutting out the sugar, cakes, chocolate and fizzy pop!! I am on 2 metformin a day, one with breakfast and one with tea :)
x

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
@ClaireLou94

Hello ClaireLou and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. This will show you what low carbing is all about! It will help you to keep your levels down. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to reply.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

THANK YOU! :D xxx

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi Claire

Your results are looking good, they have come down a lot so far. I'd suggest that if you can be around 4.9 or even up to 5.5 before a meal, then reducing some carbs should ensure you only spike by about 2 points, which will keep you under the target limit of 7.8.

15 sounds like it was probably your HbA1c, which is pretty high, but if you keep doing what you're doing, and reduce some carbs, it should be much better at your 3 month test.

In your OP you said your parents are telling you this is serious and others says it's just about changing your eating - well, they are both right, IMO. Exercise helps but reducing carbs is very important. You will also most probably find that it helps you lose some weight too.

I went from 22 stone to 12 stone in a year through low carbing, and if I can do it, anyone can :)

I read something like that in a book I was given, that they should be around 4 - 5 before a meal and about 8.5 after a meal ?
So I have to go for a 3 month test ? I was never told this! Do the appointments just get sent out in the post like all the other appointments that I have?
Yeah im trying to lose weight, ive been exercising a lot more then usual, walking to and from work and tramp2lean xx

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
they should be around 4 - 5 before a meal and about 8.5 after a meal
Hiya. 8.5 is too high if it occurs regularly. 7.8 is the NHS target and some of us go for lower.
I think you need to go back to your GP and have a chat and don't be fobbed off. Take a written list of questions if you need to and ask for a double appointment. Be persistent if you need to. It's important. Then come back and tell us how you get on.

Reactions: 10 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I read something like that in a book I was given, that they should be around 4 - 5 before a meal and about 8.5 after a meal ?
So I have to go for a 3 month test ? I was never told this! Do the appointments just get sent out in the post like all the other appointments that I have?
Yeah im trying to lose weight, ive been exercising a lot more then usual, walking to and from work and tramp2lean xx
It's best to have a 3 month test, and if they don't contact you about this you should ask for it. The HbA1c tells you what your BGs have been like over the previous approx 3 months. IMO everyone should have this test every 3 months until their diabetes is well controlled, then it should be every 6 months then eventually 12 months if all is going well.

As DeeJay says, you may need to be a bit more assertive with them than you are used to. Sometimes they can have a too relaxed attitude to these things, when I'd imagine you want to get things under control as quickly as possible and keep them that way. The metformin helps but the main way to get diabetes under control is to reduce your carbs and portion sizes so you lose weight. This is also the easiest way to lose weight that I know of.

Tony Allo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning Claire
If you've had to go to a NHS seminar normally arranged by you doctors surgery about controlling your diabetes with diet, be very careful with the information and booklets they give you they are very misleading I found.
Obviously you need to watch your carbs, so as a rule any vegetable that grows under the ground, potatoes, turnips, swedes etc have carbs even fresh carrots although they are not to bad, anything that grows above ground is normally ok, the only ones to be careful of a little bit is berries as these have there own sugars but are good in moderation. Hope this helps.
Kind regards Tony

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi guys,
I am newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I am struggling to understand anything about it.
I don't know what I can and cant eat, I don't know if it is serious and should be worried... my parents keep telling me it is very serious, but other people I have spoke to say it is just about moderation on food intake and looking at what I eat. I have joined today to get support and help off other type 2s that can give me advice and guidance!

Thanks in advance guys!

Claire
x
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Morning Claire
If you've had to go to a NHS seminar normally arranged by you doctors surgery about controlling your diabetes with diet, be very careful with the information and booklets they give you they are very misleading I found.
Obviously you need to watch your carbs, so as a rule any vegetable that grows under the ground, potatoes, turnips, swedes etc have carbs even fresh carrots although they are not to bad, anything that grows above ground is normally ok, the only ones to be careful of a little bit is berries as these have there own sugars but are good in moderation. Hope this helps.
Kind regards Tony
I had a nurse come out to my house and she gave me 2 books one on type one and the other on type 2!

Yeahh it helps loads ! Thanks x