1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

21 year old, newly diagnosed, type 2!

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by ClaireLou94, Sep 13, 2015.

1. ClaireLou94

ClaireLou94 Type 2 · Active Member

Thanks for the advice ill have words with the nurse when I next go! ill ask more questions and everything!xx

2. A new man

A new man Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Claire I was diagnosed type 2 at the same age as you after finishing uni ! I listened to the doctors but did virtually ignore my levels and never took any readings - my medication crept up and up but they reassured me that this was inevitable and not related to my diet! I ended up on insulin at the age of 36 and decided it was time to take it seriously! I have been eating under 50g carb a day on average since then and have had to reduce my insulin as a result as my control is so good and my readings are excellent (also I joined a gym 2 weeks ago and this has helped even more as I go 4-5 times a week which keeps my blood sugar low mostly 4's) - I can't recommend highly enough a mixture of low carb and exercise as a way to control your diabetes - it should enable you to accept your diagnosis and know it's under control (unlike my own actions all those years ago) - good luck and keep us updated!

• Like Like x 6
  3. mogzilian

mogzilian Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow! 22 to 12 stone is AMAZING! I'm so impressed! Wicked!

• Like Like x 2
  4. ClaireLou94

ClaireLou94 Type 2 · Active Member

Its good to hear other peoples stories and how they have coped, thanks for letting me know! for exercise I walk to and from work everyday and I am constantly on my feet during the day doing lots of physical activity's because of my job I never get to sit down for long ( I work in child care)
    Thanks for the advice ! x

5. Suzannelife

Suzannelife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Don't worry. it is just about moderation on food intake. Keep healthy diet and custom your exercise.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook