Anyone got worse luck with health than me?

Fozzy_Bear_

Can you beat this?

Jan 2013 Hodgkin Lymphoma with 7 months of chemo

March 2015 sudden onset on diabetes going straight on to insulin

August 2015 Heart Attack requiring 2 stents to repair blockages.

If you don't laugh you'd cry :)

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
20 yeears of aspartame poisoning and pain due to not being informed in 2003?

Nothing compared to yours!!

G

graj0

Bit of a weird question really and you'll not like my answer.

My 30 year old nephew had a brain tumour and died, leaving a wife and 18 month old daughter. I think that's really bad luck. I expect there will be a lot of sad stories even worse than mine.

I'm more of a optimist, so looking on the bright side, I think that you're actually lucky, you not only live in a country where you can get the relevant treatment required and you survived. I truly hope that you have many "healthy" years to live with much less drama.

Having just had appendicitis, peritonitis and an abscess from the appendix to the duodenum which took 2 months to diagnose properly and even then only after surgery, I consider that as major good luck, somebody somewhere is looking after me, thanks MUM!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people

Sucre Bleu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will see your Lymphoma, tho I have Follicular NHL
Have had diabetes since I was a little kid.
Am legally blind
Have severe gastroparesis, I could go on... but it aint a competition :eek:
I doubt you would find one person on this forum, who wants to beat anyone else, and I do understand you really didn't mean it like that.
In fact I thank my lucky stars so far my heart seems fine. I did have some heart investigations a while back to check my heart health, in case my autonomic neuropathy issues made it unlikely I would feel a heart attack.

Reactions: 8 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Bit of a weird question really and you'll not like my answer.

My 30 year old nephew had a brain tumour and died, leaving a wife and 18 month old daughter. I think that's really bad luck. I expect there will be a lot of sad stories even worse than mine.

I'm more of a optimist, so looking on the bright side, I think that you're actually lucky, you not only live in a country where you can get the relevant treatment required and you survived. I truly hope that you have many "healthy" years to live with much less drama.

Having just had appendicitis, peritonitis and an abscess from the appendix to the duodenum which took 2 months to diagnose properly and even then only after surgery, I consider that as major good luck, somebody somewhere is looking after me, thanks MUM!
Yeah I don't really like the approach of this thread... it's not a competition, and we all have our own battles to face.

I would much rather have a serious life threatening illness that gets treated and goes away, than a chronic illness that's poorly understood, that affects me every day for the rest of my life. The thing is, we don't get to choose and what matters is our response to what life throws at us. I try to be as positive as I can every day, and to remember how lucky I am that I live in a country with free healthcare. And that treatments have been developed that manage most of my symptoms.

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Me too... I forgot to add that I don't even see that not being told what was wrong in 2003 as a negative.

At least it does give warnings to others about aspartame etc...

You have one life so it doesn't matter what happens - its making the best of it bringing happiness and good things to others.

I remember a very disabled cousin of mine, the one thing she always had on her face was a smile... Everytime. She died when 7...

She brought joy with that smile.

Reactions: 7 people

Fozzy_Bear_

I see some peeps don't seem to have a sense of humour. The point I was making is that people have tremendous ability to overcome adversity and I just wanted to hear some of those life stories. We all have different ways of dealing with things.

Reactions: 12 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I see some peeps don't seem to have a sense of humour. The point I was making is that people have tremendous ability to overcome adversity and I just wanted to hear some of those life stories. We all have different ways of dealing with things.
There's nothing wrong with my sense of humour. If you intend making a joke, maybe say that next time?

M

mrspuddleduck

Hi @Fozzy_Bear_ , I do believe that if you have experienced a 'near death' or acute life threatening situation it can sometimes change your perspective and indeed your sense of humour! I'm always being told off by my friends for my rather 'different' or 'sick' humour. I think it is understandable that generally people may not 'get the joke', as let's face it pain, illness, death is an emotionally personal matter that effects us all in very different ways. So my friend @Fozzy_Bear_ the following response is just for you...... Sorry mate, I can beat you hands down and still working on it!!! :D Sue xxx

Reactions: 3 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
Lifes about seeing how far we can get without been hit from dodging bullets :) we'll just keep on fighting right :) keep ya heads up guys and best of luck for the future.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I interpreted your post as someone who'd been through a lot and come out the other side 'sense of humour intact' ! Not that you were trying to compete with anyone, I thought you were demonstrating positivity after what you'd been through and I for one applaude you!

It's strange isn't it the way we all read something and process it differently? I'm sure everyone's read an email or a text message and thought the author was being harsh, insulting or rude, only to discover that wasn't the case? I've certainly fired off messages and then when I've looked at them again felt they needed further explaination before they were taken out of context. Note to self ask for clarification before I admonish the sender...

How is your health at the moment? I'm stuck in bed barely able to move, I woke this morning and when I sat up I felt something snap in my neck! The muscle in my neck is bulging, really tight and appears to be pulling my neck downwards on the one side. The pain was excruciating and I couldn't move my arm, although it's eased off with the help of an ice pack I'm terrified to move and my heads splitting! Poor me! Nothing I've been through comes close to your experiences so I need to get a grip!

Fozzy_Bear_

I interpreted your post as someone who'd been through a lot and come out the other side 'sense of humour intact' ! Not that you were trying to compete with anyone, I thought you were demonstrating positivity after what you'd been through and I for one applaude you!

It's strange isn't it the way we all read something and process it differently? I'm sure everyone's read an email or a text message and thought the author was being harsh, insulting or rude, only to discover that wasn't the case? I've certainly fired off messages and then when I've looked at them again felt they needed further explaination before they were taken out of context. Note to self ask for clarification before I admonish the sender...

How is your health at the moment? I'm stuck in bed barely able to move, I woke this morning and when I sat up I felt something snap in my neck! The muscle in my neck is bulging, really tight and appears to be pulling my neck downwards on the one side. The pain was excruciating and I couldn't move my arm, although it's eased off with the help of an ice pack I'm terrified to move and my heads splitting! Poor me! Nothing I've been through comes close to your experiences so I need to get a grip!
Rosserk..u are a star for putting up with such pain! I am getting better every day and thankful for it. There's always light in every situation no matter how dark it may seem sometimes.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rosserk..u are a star for putting up with such pain! I am getting better every day and thankful for it. There's always light in every situation no matter how dark it may seem sometimes.

Lol I'm actually a total wimp! God help everyone if I ever get really sick! I'm really glad you're starting to feel better, I'm betting that has a lot to do with your positive mental attitude, I hope that continues and your health goes from strength to strength. I on the other hand need another pain killer and a cup of tea I think my heads going to fall off, which will be very unpleasant for everyone. I'm such a drama queen! Lol enjoy the rest of your day and keep smiling!

Reactions: 4 people

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a few illnesses but won't bother with the boring details. Hey ho I'm here living each day , have great love for my carer/partner, try to get out and about albeit he has to push me lol good job been on on lchf !!!! I am just so pleased that I don t need to pay for all my meds or hospital treatment/many admissions. Good old nhs.... have great gp and practice. I have worked all my life and paid my contributions. Here in UK we are so lucky, I count my blessings

Reactions: 9 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whenever I feel sorry for my "poor diabetic self", a visit to the forum quickly puts things back into perspective for me. All my worst health issues though they're been painful and sometimes very scary and distressing have at least been (relatively) fixable and hardly life threatening.

@Fozzy_Bear_ I do like your attitude, but in your case I don't think I'll follow the old advice: "If you can't beat them, join them!" :D:D

Robbity

Reactions: 7 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An actually "sense" of humor is all about not needing someone to come right out and signal "joke coming!".. .
Not really. But whatever, lol.

Reactions: 4 people

killtothis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see your problems and raise you...
Idiopathic pancreatitis from 16, had gall bladder removal followed with partial pancreatectomy (Freys) which left me insulin dependant and didn't cure my pancreatitis,
Had Pancreas removed this year and auto islet transplant, also removed my spleen when you were there.
Surgeries are fun, you've got it right though, you either laugh or cry lol
How've you been since the stents Fozzy?
Hope you and everyone else in this thread (sorry haven't replied to everyone) is on a good path and getting on with what life throws at us :)

Carpediem1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Frogs, Katie Hopkins, Animal cruelty
Just to join in lol.
I agree that being on the brink of death certainly changes your perspective.
I was diagnosed type 2 7 years ago aged 36. Both my parents are type 2.
I became acutely ill 4 years ago after a fall.
On 9th sept 2011 hubby had a heart attack. The following day I was in ITU following an at home cardiac arrest, I'm so lucky to be here.
Since then, my sister has had a son who has physical and mental health issues ( it turns out myself and sister have the same chromosomal abnormality to a lesser degree ). And recently my father has been diagnosed with terminal cancer.
My illnesses just escalated, I nearly needed a liver transplant but now have a shunt. I have heart problems, arthritis, epilepsy, ME, PTSD, neuropathy, encephalopathy, migraines, acute spontaneous angioedeama, several operations, deaf, sight problems, memory loss and confusion. I also needed life saving surgery after an angiogram. BUT I can always find someone worse off but for what it's worth I think discussing it helps, it makes me realise I am very lucky xx

normaj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you beat this?

Jan 2013 Hodgkin Lymphoma with 7 months of chemo

March 2015 sudden onset on diabetes going straight on to insulin

August 2015 Heart Attack requiring 2 stents to repair blockages.

If you don't laugh you'd cry :)
I think my brother can top that. Colon cancer, 1 year clear,secondary cancer in one lung, closely followed by secondary can cer in other lung. 1 year all clear, pancreatitis, soon followed by type 1 D. He is doing well now and last checkup - all clear or cancer. Long may it continue. Hope you are doing ok with your health

Reactions: 8 people