Berberine

tuatara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, i have 120 capsules of Glycosolve/berberine just arrved today from the States. Having had the dreaded D for 8 years and having avoided drugs for most of that time, staying in pre-D numbers, I thought I would try this as my levels have been rising. Intermittent fasting for 18 hours a day has worked well, along with low carb moderate fat, but thought glycosolve might help my cholestreol numbers as well as support glucose levels. Will keep you posted. I have read a lot of material on berberine and if its a wonder drug for mitigating metabolic syndrome then I want a piece of it! http://ecowatch.com/2015/06/11/berberine-powerful-natural-supplement/ Blood tests in 2 months.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will be interested to hear your results @tuatara. Glycosolve was the higher dose (500mg) tablet that gave me gastritis issues. I did much better with 200mg dose (Thorne Research), but I have a very touchy stomach lining :(

tuatara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will be interested to hear your results @tuatara. Glycosolve was the higher dose (500mg) tablet that gave me gastritis issues. I did much better with 200mg dose (Thorne Research), but I have a very touchy stomach lining :(
I am intending to take one 500mg capsule before dinner at night. That is the time when I experience spikes. I am quite small and not overweight so figure that might be enough. I am also wary of any supplement/ drugs or herbs (boring, I know). If I have to, I will divide the dose. If it doesn't work, I guess I will increase the dose. Will let you know :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been told by my GP that my metabolism is knackered and losing weight is next to impossible no matter how little I eat or how much exercise I do (I'm not trying starvation and running marathons), I'm not happy because I want to mend it, whatever it is.
I'm not sure how I stumbled across Berberine, probably one of those Health eMails that I can never remember signing up to, but I was intrigued to find that as well as helping the metabolism this stuff is supposed to be better than Metformin for BG control (where Metformin is the only medication used) and they have scientific papers to back this up ( http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/06/22/berberine-benefits.aspx, if you'd like to read further).
My question though is has anybody any experience of taking Berberine, either for what I think is called metabolic syndrome, or to help BG control.
Just going back to your original post and leaving aside the berberine issue, Graham, have you ever looked into the Wahls Protocol? The diet was developed with the involvement of a nutritionist and is very much focused on micronutrient sufficiency and nutrient density for optimal mitochondrial repair and function. I'd really recommend you watch some of the Terry Wahls interviews and maybe get the book. If you want to heal your metabolism, it could very well be a good starting point? She seems to be getting good results thus far in her clinic and with her research studies.

Reactions: 2 people
G

graj0

Just going back to your original post and leaving aside the berberine issue, Graham, have you ever looked into the Wahls Protocol? The diet was developed with the involvement of a nutritionist and is very much focused on micronutrient sufficiency and nutrient density for optimal mitochondrial repair and function. I'd really recommend you watch some of the Terry Wahls interviews and maybe get the book. If you want to heal your metabolism, it could very well be a good starting point? She seems to be getting good results thus far in her clinic and with her research studies.

Thank you very much for that, she's quite a lady. I have made good progress taking advise from a Nutritional Therapist (BSc Chemistry, MBA, BSc Nutritional Medicine, cancer survivor, so I trust her). From what she was saying in the video there's a few more things that I need to do, basically pulling out all the stops. I've managed to avoid processed food for many years and now consume less than 100 gms carbohydrate a day, most of that is in vegetables. I'm keen to go organic and I need to look more closely at the organisation aspects of that. I've used Abel & Cole in the past and had vegetables delivered but there are problems with waste, even with everything being put in the fridge, it doesn't last the week.
I will definitely look into it further and I'll share the video with my NT. Thanks

G

graj0

The event is called Focus on Metabolism - Metabolic Dysfunction and Mitochondrial Inflexibility, London, November 19.

Thank you, something that maybe my GP should go to. Over the years people have always assumed that my obesity has been down to me overeating, rather than how my body uses the food it gets. I have eaten less than my BMR for nearly ten years and that's without allowing extra for the exercise that I have done. It's been frustrating as you can imagine, but I can't stop trying to find the answer. I am getting closer though and it's worth noting that my major weight loss has happened when I came off Rosiglitazone, low carbing (also able to stop taking Gliclazide) and two stays in hospital (possibly the use of antibiotics caused faster intestinal transit). Onward and downwards, I hope.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, something that maybe my GP should go to. Over the years people have always assumed that my obesity has been down to me overeating, rather than how my body uses the food it gets. I have eaten less than my BMR for nearly ten years and that's without allowing extra for the exercise that I have done. It's been frustrating as you can imagine, but I can't stop trying to find the answer. I am getting closer though and it's worth noting that my major weight loss has happened when I came off Rosiglitazone, low carbing (also able to stop taking Gliclazide) and two stays in hospital (possibly the use of antibiotics caused faster intestinal transit). Onward and downwards, I hope.
My best guess would be start reading up on the Microbiome as that seems to be at the very cutting edge of current medical research. I've heard great things about a book called "Honor Thy Symbionts" by Jeff Leach. Other books are Martin Blaser's "Missing Microbes" and "An Epidemic of Absence" by Moises Velasquez-Manoff. Lots also to read at the Human Food Project - especially all their work with the Hadza: http://humanfoodproject.com/

The answers mostly seem to come back to fibre, fibre and more fibre :)

G

graj0

I've heard great things about a book called "Honor Thy Symbionts" by Jeff Leach. Other books are Martin Blaser's "Missing Microbes" and "An Epidemic of Absence" by Moises Velasquez-Manoff.
Thanks again, much appreciated. I've bought the first and last one on Kindle for peanuts. Strangely the second on, Missing Microbes, is more expensive on Kindle. Antibiotics have always caused me severe stomach problems, but as I've just had peritonitis (after a burst appendix), I wouldn't be here without them, although the IV stuff is fine it's the oral meds that just wipe out anything of any use in the gut, so I have to start again and make sure the good bacteria gets back before the bad.
I've signed up for the lecture and I'm going to try and persuade my Nutritional Therapist to go as well. some of it is probably going to go over my head, but I know she'll understand, hopefully well enough to explain to me later. LOL

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with it all @graj0

Berberine is apparently really good at sorting out the balance of good/bad bacteria, so probably a good thing that you're planning to take it, though I'd still be reluctant to take it and metformin at the same time.

I've always had a touchy gut, but have found very gradually/cautiously adding first soluble (acacia fibre) and now some natural mixed fibre supplements (apple/orange), it's doing some really good things for my mood without any major gut issues. Next step will be some resistant starch - again very carefully and only from real food sources.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What effect, if any, does Berberine have on Q10? Anyone know?

(yes, I am being lazy and not looking it up myself, but it is kind of an idle question, since my Berberine days are behind me... :) )

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What effect, if any, does Berberine have on Q10? Anyone know?

(yes, I am being lazy and not looking it up myself, but it is kind of an idle question, since my Berberine days are behind me... :) )
I don't recall anything from my reading about berberine but it was some time ago. You might find something here as the site compile a list of studies on various herbs:

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/search/google-cse#gsc.q=berberine

A search for 'berberine + CoQ10' returns these results:
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/search/google-cse#gsc.q=berberine + CoQ10