Type 2 DVLA - HGV Driving with Certain Tablets

MikeB199

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am a Type 2 currently on Metformin and Linagliptin tablets. I have just send my medical form to the DVLA to renew my HGV licence and after four weeks they have sent me a letter saying I have to sign a declaration that I will in future test at least twice a day and before and during HGV driving. They say it's because I am on tablets that are either in the Sulphonylureas or Glinides category. I'm pretty sure that Metformin is not one of these types and I can't find any evidence that Linagliptin is one either. Am I mistaken or have the DVLA lost the plot? Many Thanks Mike

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The DVLA say this -

Diabetes - Managed by tablets which carry a risk of inducing hypoglycaemia (this includes sulphonylureas and glinides)

So it seems the list is not limited to only sulphonylureas and glinides. They must class your Linagliptin as one of the at risk drugs I guess which does seem odd as it is a DPP4 inhibitor and meant to not cause hypos particularly. It is a good idea to test as an HGV driver anyway, be sure to be aware of the rules which are on the DVLA's website reference levels, ie 5 to drive, below 5 and above 4 correct before driving, below 4 correct and wait 45 mins.

Ali

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am a Type 2 currently on Metformin and Linagliptin tablets. I have just send my medical form to the DVLA to renew my HGV licence and after four weeks they have sent me a letter saying I have to sign a declaration that I will in future test at least twice a day and before and during HGV driving. They say it's because I am on tablets that are either in the Sulphonylureas or Glinides category. I'm pretty sure that Metformin is not one of these types and I can't find any evidence that Linagliptin is one either. Am I mistaken or have the DVLA lost the plot? Many Thanks Mike

I t could be worth trying to have a telephone conversation with your GP, for his view.

Are you prescribed testing supplies?

T2 Med free

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well Mike I have been type 2 for 11 years and I admit I am just a taxi driver but a great responsibility carrying passengers so I have changed my lifestyle completely to avoid that problem I am now free of medication if you can do it you will feel better but do keeping testing your blood.