Accu Chek Mobile Cassettes

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am a Type 1 and have just returned from my surgery having seen a diabetic nurse. I was informed that the surgery will no longer be providing cassettes for the Accu Chek Mobile because of the expense. I was given a Contour Next meter to be used with strips. Really disappointed because I found the strip free meter so convenient especially when out and about. Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice on who to contact re this to put a case forward?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Given that the Mobile Cassettes are £16.09 per 50 and the Contour is £15.23, if it is going to reduce the number of tests and therefore the level of control you have, it's something you should be able to argue with the surgery with little difficulty.

Reactions: 6 people

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Given that the Mobile Cassettes are £16.09 per 50 and the Contour is £15.23, if it is going to reduce the number of tests and therefore the level of control you have, it's something you should be able to argue with the surgery with little difficulty.
Thank you so much for that Tim. I will contact the surgery.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The new Aug 2015 NICE guidelines for T1s say diabetics should be given a choice of meter to suit their needs. (From memory - can't remember the exact wording). You should be able to cite those back at the GP if they are not willing to listen to just a polite request.

I am also on the Accu Chek Mobile and it's very important to my frequency of testing. I am sure I would (did) test much less when I had to faff with individual strips, separate lancet, strip disposal, etc each time.

Reactions: 2 people

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
As my finger tips are completely numb, I cannot use normal strips and fiddly lancets. So the mobile is a godsend for me.

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The new Aug 2015 NICE guidelines for T1s say diabetics should be given a choice of meter to suit their needs. (From memory - can't remember the exact wording). You should be able to cite those back at the GP if they are not willing to listen to just a polite request.

I am also on the Accu Chek Mobile and it's very important to my frequency of testing. I am sure I would (did) test much less when I had to faff with individual strips, separate lancet, strip disposal, etc each time.

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that information Spiker. Totally agree with you regarding the meter. Loey

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As my finger tips are completely numb, I cannot use normal strips and fiddly lancets. So the mobile is a godsend for me.
Thank you Pilgrim22. I think it's a fantastic meter so I am certainly going to follow this up. Loey

Saramel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got slightly bolshy with my DN when she refused to issue the cassettes and offered me a new meter when I had just purchased the Accuchek Mobile. I told her in no uncertain terms how fiddly I found other meters and if I was forced to use another, I would just give up testing. Strangely enough, I was given a prescription for the cassettes! ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning

@Spiker Did you not get on with pump?
I am having a break from mine at the moment

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I LOVE the Accu-Chek Mobile and Fastclix lancer drums, they are a Godsend and can be used with just one hand which came in particularly handy the other night when I was walking through town and had to test standing up with nowhere to put anything down onto!! I am using the Contour test strips with my Contour Next Link 24 meter now as I am on a Medtronic pump and it automatically sends the result of my bloods to my pump (which is also very handy) but I always carry my Accu-Chek when I'm out and about!! :)

crisbev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I got slightly bolshy with my DN when she refused to issue the cassettes and offered me a new meter when I had just purchased the Accuchek Mobile. I told her in no uncertain terms how fiddly I found other meters and if I was forced to use another, I would just give up testing. Strangely enough, I was given a prescription for the cassettes! ;)
I

crisbev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been told by my doctor that they will not give out perscriptions for my meter anymore and I must use the meter that they want to give me but it is very old time why can't I have the choice anymore