Statins

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello again, so I went for more blood tests and have been told that I have to take statins. Heard and read some nasty reports on these things does anyone have any advice?

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you got a copy of your blood test results? How high is your cholesterol level?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Read Dr Malcolm Kendrick, hes a Scottish doctor who entirely disagrees with them. You have to do your research. Personally I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Blimey that sounds good, did you get a breakdown? Have you recently been diagnosed diabetic? To be frank Gp's tend to just dish out the pills these days, I was offered them as soon as I was diagnosed - I refused.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reactions: 3 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told today it was 4.5.
For some reason, if you are a diabetic, they want to take almost all your cholesterol off you. 4.5 is perfectly normal for most people, in fact lower than average, if memory serves.
Have a look at this thread, ww.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/who-wants-to-live-forever.85177/
OK, so we are having a bit of fun, but the BMJ is deadly serious with its report that recent research has shown that taking statins will only add a few days to your life.
Sally

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
4.5 is low , mine was 6.1 ten years ago and all i had to do was change my diet which i didn't bother doing , then i changed doctors who told me my score okay nothing to worry about . I think statins make a lot of money for doctors , well that's what i suspect anyway of course.

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Blimey that sounds good, did you get a breakdown? Have you recently been diagnosed diabetic? To be frank Gp's tend to just dish out the pills these days, I was offered them as soon as I was diagnosed - I refused.
Yes, about a month ago. I should have asked her for a copy of the result but didn't. There was something at 1.2 and another at 2.2 couldn't actually see what they were for.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
They aren't going to put your arm up your back, it is up to you, but do read the link above.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yes, about a month ago. I should have asked her for a copy of the result but didn't. There was something at 1.2 and another at 2.2 couldn't actually see what they were for.
We're getting my hubbies tonight as he was offered statins just this week as he was newly diagnosed and we're suspicious of all this medication being offered .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my total cholesterol level has never been as low as yours and I have refused statins. Having cholesterol that is too low (which is what you risk if you take statins) is far worse than having high cholesterol.

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this. Think I'll give them a miss and buy some flora lol. It looks like these things are a bit of a ticking time bomb.
Flora? Are you out of your mind? Margarine is the road to destruction. I wouldn't use it to polish my shoes.

Butter Butter Butter is the way to go.

Reactions: 10 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Please use butter, margarine is grey matter before they add all the colourings. There really is nothing wrong with your cholesterol. That's the least thing you need to worry about. Diabetes is more important.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
On the theme of not worrying about cholesterol, see Zoe Harcombe on the subject,
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2015/03/worried-about-cholesterol-andor-statins/
and if you haven't got time to read the whole thing (and after getting through all the links above, you shouldn't have), the one sentence to remember is,
"My top tip is: don’t have a cholesterol test and then you’ll have one fewer thing to worry about".
Sally

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't too late to ask for a print out of your blood results (all of them, not just cholesterol). You really need these so you can make up your mind what to do with all the information in front of you. They will also be useful down the line for comparisons as you will be having these tests regularly for the rest of your life, so very important to know if you are improving or deteriorating.

Doctors like diabetics to have a total cholesterol of under 4, so this will be why statins were pushed on you. As said above, the total cholesterol is meaningless. It is the triglycerides and ratios that are important - and you don't know what these are. So do get a print out. :)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please use butter, margarine is grey matter before they add all the colourings. There really is nothing wrong with your cholesterol. That's the least thing you need to worry about. Diabetes is more important.
Nothing wrong with grey matter as such, is there? It's the margarine that is vile regardless of colour.

I wouldn't be surprised if margarine actually had a bad effect on grey matter.