Seaweed

DawnPhenomenon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Seaweed is the new chocolate! I love this snack and it's very low in cals. Since I began eating rather a lot of seaweed a few weeks ago I've noticed a drop in my fasting blood sugar. Is this coincidence?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure if it's a coincidence, where do buy your seaweed from if you don't mind me asking?

DawnPhenomenon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other

I've had it in Chinese Restaurants but I believe some of them cheat and use cabbage instead and sell it as seaweed.

It's sold as a snack. A large box has around 100 calls. I've just been reading up on it and it seems to have all sorts of properties. A study took place to see if seaweed supplements brought bs down and it did.

50p a box in Costco sold in packets of 10.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's sold as a snack. A large box has around 100 calls. I've just been reading up on it and it seems to have all sorts of properties. A study took place to see if seaweed supplements brought bs down and it did.

50p a box in Costco sold in packets of 10.

Quite reasonable, expected it to be much more expensive. I'm sure it is full of goodness and it would be great if it lowers bg levels too.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone know where else you can buy this seaweed as we don't have a Costco where we live.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone know where else you can buy this seaweed as we don't have a Costco where we live.
I huge seaweed fan myself.

It's become quite popular here in the U.S. They're in almost every "organic" food store like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's to name a few chains.

My local Costco actually stocks two different types of seaweed: one is a seaweed "salad" and looks like green noodles. The other is the mini strips of dry seaweed as mentioned above. Unfortunately, both aren't particularly cost effective compared to similar foods.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seaweed?

Maybe I'll take a walk down the coast and collect some,
(Trying it as a noodle type thing sounds interesting)

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seaweed is the new chocolate! I love this snack and it's very low in cals. Since I began eating rather a lot of seaweed a few weeks ago I've noticed a drop in my fasting blood sugar. Is this coincidence?
Seaweeds are often high in iodine that is needed for thyroid function. I don't know if this has anything to do with your improved FBG but you never know.

It's not a good idea to over dose on iodine either.

DawnPhenomenon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I huge seaweed fan myself.

It's become quite popular here in the U.S. They're in almost every "organic" food store like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's to name a few chains.

My local Costco actually stocks two different types of seaweed: one is a seaweed "salad" and looks like green noodles. The other is the mini strips of dry seaweed as mentioned above. Unfortunately, both aren't particularly cost effective compared to similar foods.

Oooo I fancy seaweed noodles

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fertiliser and soil conditioner. Wtih a horse and cart I could make a few bob plying my trade between the beach and the allotments. Except it would be theft.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you go to a beach in UK looking for seaweed, please make sure you keep an eye on the tides, wear footwear with grip, take a sharp knife and before you go, make sure it's a beach without a sewerage outfall !