Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ok it's not the first time I admit, but remembering some mornings to take basal and quick acting as soon as I awake is sometimes so difficult.. I thought my routine was ok but it just takes a brief moment of distraction to completely forget one or other or even both..

This morning I woke at 6.40am, daughter wakes at the same time, as she's still in bed I say hang on mum will be there in a mo I just need to 'do my sugars', I go downstairs, test my BG, input results in my smart phone, take basal, put kettle on, feed dog, run upstairs to check on daughter, then just completely draw a blank, did I or didn't i take my QA ??? so go and take 5 units, cook breakfast, eat, do some work on the computer, dress, walk to school, drive to work and BANG hypo !

Unless I write it down that i've taken it, I just can't remember if I did or not.. anyone else have this issue and any tips on how to remember !!

M

mammamia2006

I used to always forget but got a Novopen Echo as it has memory function on it so you can check if you have taken insulin or not. The pen is an absolute godsend for me. (My brain does NOT function before lunch time lol)

Reactions: 10 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Lol thanks @mammamia2006 I think I will just have to bite the bullet and buy one - Noblehead mentioned this before when I forgot another time and to take the worry out of 'did I or didn't i' it's probably worth it.. I don't know where my head is at most mornings and I honestly feel like my brain is not engaged at all some days since I was diagnosed, there is so much to think about all the time !! At least i'm not the only one then ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Anyone know where to buy them from ?!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've read somewhere that either it's on prescription or you can get one from your DSN.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Take your Tresiba on waking, you can buy devices that fit on the end of insulin pens that do
Lol thanks @mammamia2006 I think I will just have to bite the bullet and buy one - Noblehead mentioned this before when I forgot another time and to take the worry out of 'did I or didn't i' it's probably worth it.. I don't know where my head is at most mornings and I honestly feel like my brain is not engaged at all some days since I was diagnosed, there is so much to think about all the time !! At least i'm not the only one then ;)

Your GP or DSN will prescribe the NovoPen Echo, the memory device that fits on the end of pens like your basal is called Timesulin:

https://timesulin.com/

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Echo pens are definitely available on prescription. I've just had a couple ordered myself.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I have NovoPen Echo for my NovoRapid (on prescription) and purchased a Timesulin cap for my Lantus. Now I no longer have those "did I, didn't I?" moments!

M

mammamia2006

Get on prescription. If not, I have spare ones I can send you. No point spending a fortune when I have sitting in the boxes unused

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ah thank you that's very kind of you - I have emailed my dsn to ask if she can get me one, if i'm unable to then I will let you know ;)

jane12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok it's not the first time I admit, but remembering some mornings to take basal and quick acting as soon as I awake is sometimes so difficult.. I thought my routine was ok but it just takes a brief moment of distraction to completely forget one or other or even both..

This morning I woke at 6.40am, daughter wakes at the same time, as she's still in bed I say hang on mum will be there in a mo I just need to 'do my sugars', I go downstairs, test my BG, input results in my smart phone, take basal, put kettle on, feed dog, run upstairs to check on daughter, then just completely draw a blank, did I or didn't i take my QA ??? so go and take 5 units, cook breakfast, eat, do some work on the computer, dress, walk to school, drive to work and BANG hypo !

Unless I write it down that i've taken it, I just can't remember if I did or not.. anyone else have this issue and any tips on how to remember !!

I have the same problem, as taking my insulin is so automatic I sometimes can't remember if I have taken both Novorapid and Lantus. I always write down my dose of each on a log sheet (that I made) AFTER I have taken the insulin etc, this way if there is no entry I know I haven't taken it, particularly Lantus, which seems to be the one I don't quite remember taking!As I have an echo pen for my insulin I can always check what my last dose of insulin was and match it to my log sheet.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Lol glad i'm not the only one !! I managed to get in touch with my DSN this week who is sending me a couple of echo pens now - thanks @mammamia2006 for your very kind offer x

ellietj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep my pen in its case. Each morning, I put into the case the number of needles needed for the day. That way, I can always see how many I have left. With Lantus, because I have one injection at bedtime and another in the morning, I put two needles into the case after the morning injection. So I then use one at bedtime and when I open the case the next morning, I know that I have one still to use!

GemB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would definitely benefit from this but after checking with Pharmacy my present pen doesn't work with it. I use a NovoRapid pen at the moment with 40 units in the am, 14 units at lunch and 60 units at dinner (pm).

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Hello Juicy, I have these forgetting moments, I just use the recording sheet that I record my bs readings on, I take Victoza so I record the time that I took it along with the after lunch bs taking, I am just old school and it is cheaper, ttfn from Karen.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I would definitely benefit from this but after checking with Pharmacy my present pen doesn't work with it. I use a NovoRapid pen at the moment with 40 units in the am, 14 units at lunch and 60 units at dinner (pm).
Wow @GemB, that is a lot of insulin! Your morning Novorapid is more or less the equivalent of my total daily dose of all insulin. Have you tried lowering your carb intake to reduce these amounts? Taking so much insulin has side effects in terms of insulin resistance and fat deposition.

Just reading your profile - are you using Novorapid or Novomix?

Last edited by a moderator:

dazwalshe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Take a look a the Novapen 5 - same as ECHO but with normal full units (up to 60 I believe)

GemB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow @GemB, that is a lot of insulin! Your morning Novorapid is more or less the equivalent of my total daily dose of all insulin. Have you tried lowering your carb intake to reduce these amounts? Taking so much insulin has side effects in terms of insulin resistance and fat deposition.

Just reading your profile - are you using Novorapid or Novomix?
Novomix sorry, I am taking the dose given me by my doc and team ?

GemB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My carb is porridge or 1 slice wholmeal at brek, 2 slices lunch and maybe a baked potato at dinner or no pot with dinner ?

jane12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My carb is porridge or 1 slice wholmeal at brek, 2 slices lunch and maybe a baked potato at dinner or no pot with dinner ?
I have just read your post, your carb intake is low compared to your insulin. Do you weigh your food to work out how many carbs you are eating and then taking your insulin in proportion? Ie 1 unit of insulin to 10 grams of carbs?