What a shock

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started on the newcastle diet a couple of days ago, seemed to be going ok. I am using Meritene soups, very tasty and bg around 5 ish but tonight had my soup with couple of cups of cabbage, cauliflower and some brussel sprouts and got a bg of 8.5. 1 1/2 hours after,,
Any ideas anyone?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Started on the newcastle diet a couple of days ago, seemed to be going ok. I am using Meritene soups, very tasty and bg around 5 ish but tonight had my soup with couple of cups of cabbage, cauliflower and some brussel sprouts and got a bg of 8.5. 1 1/2 hours after,,
Any ideas anyone?

Never heard of this brand before so looked on the web..............

upload_2015-10-12_18-16-36.png

25g of sugar per portion would do it for me @Fuggs !

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if I am wrong, but I understood the Newcastle diet provided the meal replacements and info on what solid food to be eaten. So I am very surprised at the amount of carbs in your replacement meal contains. 26g of carbs is most of my days allowance as I have between 20 to 30g of carbs a day !!!!! I would question this with your Newcastle diet provider.
Must add that I would never do a meal replacement diet myself .. but admire those who do and get it right

Edit to add .... I am horrified that it also has skimmed milk in ... I would never have thought the Newcastle diet would be like that. It has had such good reports .. were they not as good as we are lead to believe .. !!

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well i must admit that crossed my mind but thought ok as it is only 200 cal per meal. So isnt that ok?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well i must admit that crossed my mind but thought ok as it is only 200 cal per meal. So isnt that ok?
I don't count cal only carbs ... so keeping around the 20 to 30 a day of carbs is good for weight loss. When years ago I did count cal I was eating so little it was not sustainable and I quickly put the weight lost back on.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome, @Fuggs

There are different shakes out there, if you wanted to switch to another brand.
Exante has (from memory) less carbs.
Almased is expensive, but causes a much smaller bg spike.
Atkins are very low carb, but i dont think they have much nutritional benefit.

Worth shopping around, if you can.

As a short term option, while you use up existing stocks of the shakes, i suggest getting a pack of psyllium husks from your local health food shop. They have no calories (certainly not enough to disrupt your diet). But they are excellent at absorbing liquid, and adding fibre.

If you put a teasp into every shake or soup, stir, and leave for 5 mins or so, they will thicken it beautifully. This will make it more filling, will absorb some of the carbs, add a lot of beneficial fibre, and slow the digestion process down as the carbs are released again more gradually, rather than being dumped into the bloodstream in a burst.

So your sugar peak will be longer and much less severe.

Start with 1 teasp a day, and work up - too much psyllium without an adjustment period can, er, cause loose stools, but people usually adjust to it quickly, and it will certainly prevent any chance of constipation (which can be a problem on VLC diets).

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome, @Fuggs

As a short term option, while you use up existing stocks of the shakes, i suggest getting a pack of psyllium husks from your local health food shop. They have no calories (certainly not enough to disrupt your diet). But they are excellent at absorbing liquid, and adding fibre.

If you put a teasp into every shake or soup, stir, and leave for 5 mins or so, they will thicken it beautifully. This will make it more filling, will absorb some of the carbs, add a lot of beneficial fibre, and slow the digestion process down as the carbs are released again more gradually, rather than being dumped into the bloodstream in a burst.

Start with 1 teasp a day, and work up - too much psyllium without an adjustment period can, er, cause loose stools, but people usually adjust to it quickly, and it will certainly prevent any chance of constipation (which can be a problem on VLC diets).

Thats helps a huge amount thanks. Clearly there is a huge difference between cals and carbs in. I have some husks so will do that. I dont have a problem with them so will use that method to use up my stock.

Thanks again
:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad I could help.

Worth watching your blood glucose rise and timing of rise while you are doing that... just so you know what is happening.

I never get on well with those shakes, but then I never get on well with sugar, in any form.

The best shake-style drinks for me, are green smoothies (see the link in my sig), but even then, I need to watch the fruit sugars, and use plenty of veg, or I can get nasty spikes in my blood glucose.

:)

katyb42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those figures are for if the shake is mixed with skimmed milk. The newcastle diet recommends using water.
I have been using tesco ultraslim and the numbers are very similar in content. 13.9 carbs per shake of which 12.9 are sugars,as this is all you have for each meal with a limited list of vegetables ,the high sugar content has no detrimental effect according to the study. Within a week most participants see a significant lowering of BS levels,and weight loss.

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those figures are for if the shake is mixed with skimmed milk. The newcastle diet recommends using water.
I have been using tesco ultraslim and the numbers are very similar in content. 13.9 carbs per shake of which 12.9 are sugars,as this is all you have for each meal with a limited list of vegetables ,the high sugar content has no detrimental effect according to the study. Within a week most participants see a significant lowering of BS levels,and weight loss.

I did drop prof. Taylor an email about this and he kindly responded say just the same as you, that the sugar was not realy important.
For my self I only mix with water anyway but it does have higher carbs [26] the optifast [19-20] which they used in the trial.

As I have a couple of boxes of meritene left, I have taken Brunneria advice and added 11/2 tsp on Physilum husk to half a sachet. So one sachet is spread to 2 meals. The Husk thickens it really nicely and give a large mugful. So far I can go between meals fine.

I do fancy trying Almased after this Meritene though.
Thanks all.

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't count cal only carbs ... so keeping around the 20 to 30 a day of carbs is good for weight loss. When years ago I did count cal I was eating so little it was not sustainable and I quickly put the weight lost back on.

Thanks Enclave. I would be really interested in what you eat daily to achieve such low carbs if that's possible.
Thanks

katyb42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just looked at almased seems quite expensive per shake.tesco ultraslim are £4 for a box of 10 shakes or £10 for three boxes
Comes in many flavours. The initial trial of newcastle diet was for 8 weeks ,so could be quite expensive depending on which meal replacement you choose there are many to choose from. On the other hand the only other expense is for vegetables so you will be saving on your normal food bill which ever option you choose.

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just looked at almased seems quite expensive per shake.tesco ultraslim are £4 for a box of 10 shakes or £10 for three boxes
Comes in many flavours. The initial trial of newcastle diet was for 8 weeks ,so could be quite expensive depending on which meal replacement you choose there are many to choose from. On the other hand the only other expense is for vegetables so you will be saving on your normal food bill which ever option you choose.

Yes I tried the Tesco, not really impressed with it and Almased from Amazon is only £17 for 500gms which works out at only £1.70 a day so as long as its all not obscenely expensive I would rather take my car off the road for two months than let my health deteriorate. At least the cycling will be good for me :)

Billy Ruffian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome, @Fuggs

I buy my psyllium husks at my local grocer (run by a chap from the Indian sub-continent) where it is sold as 'isabgol'. I find it is much cheaper than health-food shops. And just as effective!

Reactions: 2 people

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome, @Fuggs

Never thought to use Husks to thicker soup, I put a tsp in my black tea,so thanks for that

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Enclave. I would be really interested in what you eat daily to achieve such low carbs if that's possible.
Thanks
I am a vegetarian, so its mostly above ground vegetables .. cheese .. I keep hens so eat their eggs ..coconut oil, olive oil .. & nuts .. I think its easer to eat LCHF being a veggie as I cannot overdo the protein.

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a vegetarian, so its mostly above ground vegetables .. cheese .. I keep hens so eat their eggs ..coconut oil, olive oil .. & nuts .. I think its easer to eat LCHF being a veggie as I cannot overdo the protein.

Thanks for that it explains the nice low carb level. Greatly appreciated. and to be honest, after shakes and veg at night I eat very little protein now. Maybe half a chicken breast, but must admit love eggs. we have only 4 hens but usually blessed with two.three eggs a day. Omelet, St. Agur cheese on top Saturday morning breakfast......yummy.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that it explains the nice low carb level. Greatly appreciated. and to be honest, after shakes and veg at night I eat very little protein now. Maybe half a chicken breast, but must admit love eggs. we have only 4 hens but usually blessed with two.three eggs a day. Omelet, St. Agur cheese on top Saturday morning breakfast......yummy.
As long as you get the fat part right you should find you have increased energy ..and loose the weight without feeling hungry .. I just have three hens ..they keep me full of eggs :)
Edit to add ... I view my LCHF as a way of eating now, as I am not hungry or on a diet .. once I feel like I am on a weight loss diet I go silly and over eat with sweet things ! guess its like pressing the self destruct button .. but I am enjoying my low carbs so much theres no returning to high carbs now for me. Hope this helps

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As long as you get the fat part right you should find you have increased energy ..and loose the weight without feeling hungry .. I just have three hens ..they keep me full of eggs :)
Edit to add ... I view my LCHF as a way of eating now, as I am not hungry or on a diet .. once I feel like I am on a weight loss diet I go silly and over eat with sweet things ! guess its like pressing the self destruct button .. but I am enjoying my low carbs so much theres no returning to high carbs now for me. Hope this helps

It does help a lot thanks. I have passed the self destruct button, I think its the reality of Diabetes, my age and my weight that has finally hit home so I am determined to lose the weight. I do however struggle getting the fat right which is probably why I feel so tired sometimes. I have battled with mercury and lead toxicity over the last year being on a chelation program, but am winning on that front. Another year hopefully should see that sorted maybe.

So they are the reason I have Almassed + 2 tsps of coconut oil for breakfast lunch and dinner is a large plate of cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage with a good dollop of grass fed butter. Every day. and I am so far ok with it. Never though I would look forward to a plate of greens for my evening meal......but I do....ha ha

Social meals are a nightmare for my friends when we go out.I think they think I am losing it as I quiz the waiter about everything then mix and match to suite me.....

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
dinner is a large plate of cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage with a good dollop of grass fed butter
If you roast them in the oven with a thick slice of cheddar cheese melted (some times also a few dots of strong blue cheese) on top with a crisp green salad ..yummm .. I also love a plate of (cooked) leeks with cauliflower and courgette ribbons with a mustard & cheese sauce on top of a bed of steamed spring greens or kale. yummmmm.. I also have a frititittater its in my blog here .. like a quiche but no base ... again with cole slaw (home made with extra olive oil).. some times mix curry powder and a tiny amount of mango chutney to make a curry cole slaw .. Spagbol (for two).. Aubergine, courgette, onion and a good mix of mushrooms, cooked with a tin of tomatoes with a bay leaf and bouquet garni and a bit of garlic to taste .. add a good glug of olive oil just before serving and top with greated cheese and a fresh salad.
Enjoy your food ..mix it up and as the wife says .. nothings out of bounds .. just the size of the meal will be influenced by the carb content ... she is often seen in the kitchen with a set of scales in one hand and a calculator in the other !!!