'The Diabetes Miracle' by Dianne Kress - anyone else following this?

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Several people on the forum have mentioned this book - so I thought I'd buy it and see what it had to offer.

Having finished reading it through yesterday - it does seem to make sense. I've been following a LCHF diet since June (when I was first diagnosed) and lost 30 pounds (a third of what I ned to lose!!) but BS readings in the mornings are still high -around 7 or 8 and weight loss is slowing down recently.

I think I may have been eating too much fruit and this might have impacted on BS levels. I've also been leaving more than 5 hours between eating and according to this book, that doesn't help BS levels either.

So I thought I'd start with Stage 1 from the DM book for the next 8 weeks - just to see what happpens.
Is anyone else doing this? - if so, do you have any more ideas for breakfasts and suggestions for the 5 grams of net carbs that can be eaten with main meals and at bedtime?
I'd really like some advice and suport from others who've done this or from anyone who's thinking of starting so we could go through it together!
Please let me know. Thanks so much. T x

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe @Brunneria may have followed the diet for a time, but can't recall anyone else.

I read the book but it didn't really resonate for me - but I'd been diagnosed for quite a while by then. The information about the 5 hour cycle of the liver was the most helpful piece of information in the book for me.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Yes, I did the full 8 weeks on it. Around a year ago.
I found it was absolutely fantastic in keeping my blood glucose to normal levels, and because I tested consistently throughout, it was very useful in teaching me exactly what foods, when, and in what quantities would send my BG too high.

The other thing it taught me was that I am intolerant of grains, any grain, in any form. That was a big disappointment, but useful to know. Cress tells you that you can eat 5g of carbs with every meal and as a snack, and she positively encourages you to do this. Every time I took my 5g as a grain, my bg shot up. If I took it as potato, or chia, or parnsip, or other non-grain, my bg stayed down. So I have been mainly grain free ever since (with the odd treat and exception. and every time, up my bg goes to silly numbers and takes about 5 hours to return to base)

Very glad that I did it.

But (there is always one, isn't there?) she predicts massive weight loss. That didn't happen for me. I was doing higher fat than she recommends, but I was certainly at, or below the carb levels she recommends. I had been gently and slowly losing weight for about 6 months on very low carb before starting Cress' stage 1. That weight loss slowed even more. By the end of the 8 weeks I had lost only 3 pounds, I think. Where she had expected me to lose probably 10x that.

I suspect this was because much of her predicted weight loss would have been the glycogen reserves and fluid that I had already shed, and because I was higher fatting. Your experience may be very different.

At the end of the 8 weeks, you are supposed to go onto stage 2. Tried it. Persisted. found that I was adding fluid back, and my bgs shot up again.

Again, your experience may be different.

But basically because of my particular combination of hormone issues, including PCOS, massive insulin resistance, RH and type 2, it seems that 20-40g of carbs a day is the most my body can cope with without weight gain (and well under 20g to lose). I sort of knew that before starting Cress's stage 1, so it wasn't a surprise. Many people can tolerate a lot more, so please don't let that put you off.

Reactions: 12 people

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi,
Yes i followed it very closely for over 9 months, and it worked very well for me.
I lost over 25 Kg on weight and my HbA1c came down to 5.4. from 7.9
I then got interested in the Tim Noakes Diet Revolution ( Banting ) diet, and i now follow a version of both, as i had lost all the weight i wanted to. It is still Low Carb, but not really High Fat
I now regulate weight and Blood Glucose by watching carb intake,that comes mainly from fruit that i really enjoy.

Give it a try, it has done wonders for quite a few people, including me
Good Luck;)

Reactions: 4 people

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the information. I've made a start but am not sure I can live without fruit.

I've got the Book on Carbs and Cals ( that OP have recommended on the forum) Hopefully some of the fruit could be counted as the 5g of carbs with each meal eg 40g Blueberries or a small kiwi fruit - but as they contain fibre then according to Kress, the carb value is decreased. I love raspberries and 80g = 4 carbs -but they have 3g of fibre - so is this really a 1g carb choice? It would be really helpful to know what you think and did you include fruit?

Also as I live in UK -I haven't been able to find the low calore wraps mwntioned in the book - any ideas?

Thanks again, T x

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a problem sometimes with adapting books by Americans to our version of carbs - they talk about net carbs and subtracting fibre, but our calorie counters (both books and online) and food labels already have the fibre accounted for - so in effect what is "total carbs" to us, is "net carbs" to Americans, i.e. don't subtract the fibre from the total carbs.

I think there's an online low carb store in the UK, but don't have a link for it. Maybe one of the locals can help with that.

As a general rule, berries are the lowest carb fruit. This may come in handy: http://lowcarbediem.com/atkins-low-carb-fruit-vegetable-list/

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
@Tirianne ,
Thanks
I made up my 5g of carbs by either yogurt or crackers. I also had problems in finding some of her suggestions, but found the closest alternative that i could.
I also counted carbs as listed and did not subtract the fiber as the USA do.
I wouldn't loose sleep over not following the diet to the letter, i did not, but still lost the weight i wanted to loose

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Its called lowcarbmegastore.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's a problem sometimes with adapting books by Americans to our version of carbs - they talk about net carbs and subtracting fibre, but our calorie counters (both books and online) and food labels already have the fibre accounted for - so in effect what is "total carbs" to us, is "net carbs" to Americans, i.e. don't subtract the fibre from the total carbs.
That's really interesting - thank you. I was wondering how it worked when something had more fibre than carbs!!!!

As a general rule, berries are the lowest carb fruit. This may come in handy: http://lowcarbediem.com/atkins-low-carb-fruit-vegetable-list/
Brilliant - thanks for this, I've printed out the info and will keep in the kitchen!!

I wouldn't loose sleep over not following the diet to the letter, i did not, but still lost the weight i wanted to loose
That's reassuring - thanks so much to everyone for your advce, I feel like I'm just beginning to get my head round this and looking forward to experimenting with recipes.

New Its called lowcarbmegastore.
Thanks dawnmc - I just looked up the lowcarbmegastore - the wraps look tempting - but not sure how they compare with the ones I used to buy. I'll check next time I'm shopping!!

http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/acatalog/Mama-Lupes-Tortilla-Wraps-360g-LR070.html#SID=52

Off to have a celery and peanut butter snack!!

T xx

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The wraps are good, I've used them.

NicolaN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm curious to learn more about this book. Does it provide you with realistic and easy to make meals too? Is it suitable for Type 1?

Dying to hear more.

Thanks.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm curious to learn more about this book. Does it provide you with realistic and easy to make meals too? Is it suitable for Type 1?.

Hi NicolaN,

This is a book aimed at Type 2 - although there is a section on explaining the differences between Type 1 and 2 and prediabtes.
There are some meal suggestions - but i'm mostly adapting my own with the help of the Cals and Carbs books and other information found on the internet.
It's a pretty basic diet and I hope I can stick to the 8 weeks!! But having found very dark chocloate is 5g for a couple of small squares, I'm having that as my Carb 'treat.

Thanks Tirianne have ordered from Amazon.

Do let me know what you think - it would be fun to do this with someone else and share ideas and experience..

I'd like to know whether those who've already done this have taken any of the supplements as recommended in the book. I'm due to have my Vit B and D levels tested next week alongside the next HbA1c - so I'll probably wait until after the results before deciding what supplements I need.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine arrived today so I'll get reading over the weekend.

Johnroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many
Got my copy yesterday on kindle, interesting to read about eating after five hours. Will have to read it from beginning.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Good luck to all of you, stick to it as close as you can, and the weeks on each stage and i am certain it will work for you as it did for me.
Awaiting your success stories ;)

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck to all of you, stick to it as close as you can, and the weeks on each stage and i am certain it will work for you as it did for me.
Awaiting your success stories ;)
Thanks so much for the encouragement.

I've already noticed that my weight loss has started again after a time of 'standing still' -so must remember to take some baseline body measurements as well.

I thought it would be helpful to share some of my fruit 'discoveries' for the 5g (or below) net carbs - and I'm always careful to weigh everything!!

Kiwi - weight 55g - Carbs 5g
Raspberries- weight 80g - Carbs 4g
Strawberries- weight 80g - Carbs 5g
Clementine - weight 80g - Carbs 5g
Figs - weight 55g - Carbs 5g
Apricots (fresh) weight 55g - Carbs 4g
half an Apple - weight 45g - Carbs 5g
Blackberries -weight 80g - Carbs 4g
small Orange -weight 70g - Carbs 4g
half a Peach - weight 70g - Carbs 5g
Melon - weight 80g - Carbs 5g
a third of a banana - weight 32g - Carbs 5g

I was surprised at how many carbs there are in some fruits, and to think that I was eating at least 4 -5 portions per day when first diagnosed -stewed aple, peaches, pears, apples, necatrines, mango, grapes and loads of berries!!

Who would like to start a 'sweet treat' 5g or lower Carb list (if such things exist)?

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, that 5g carbs list just shows me how badly my body handles carbs.

I could eat the strawberries if drowned in either double, soured or clotted cream or creme fraiche and maybe a few blueberries. The way I eat fruit now is just to pick at black or red grapes or cherries when passing husband's fruit bowl or nab a few strawberries when I open the fridge.