1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

'The Diabetes Miracle' by Dianne Kress - anyone else following this?

Discussion in 'Book and Product Reviews' started by Tirianne, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I found the same.
    I basically spent that 8 weeks on meat, fish, eggs, cheese, cream, non starchy veg. Can't remember if i had berries, but probably not. I think the only starchy carbs i had were the odd small roast potato when we went out to a carvery.

I did have to give up my treats - which were lc hot choc, 2 squares of 70% choc occasionally... That kind of thing.

• Like Like x 8
    #21 Brunneria, Oct 24, 2015 at 6:20 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  2. Tirianne

Tirianne Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes- this was an 'eye-opener' for me too.

Incidentally, 80 g of grapes is 12 g Carbs!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I read her book soon after I was diagnosed, (having seen the tip by Brunneria on the web) and was, unfortunately too dazed and confused and unhappy about it at the time to actually DO her plan! (More's the pity! I wish I had!)

But I do remember learning a lot about the pancreas from it, and i really liked the way exercise was integrated. I started thinking about myself as a 'metabolism B' person, and learnt about the metabolism syndrome I had had for nigh on three decades - hugely helpful for me coming to terms with T2.

It was a good intro to low-carb living, especially as I was adapting to low-no sugar and lowering my carb intake at the time. And what can be wrong about "Eat to treat the root causes of diabetes." as a dictum?!

Notes I made on reading: (I include in case it helps forum-readers decide if this book and plan is for them? And for tips.)

Cress's Get Blood Sugar Control by:

Step 1: Stopping the Diabetes Train

Step 2: Reprogramming your metabolism to handle carbohydrates normally

Step 3: Maintaining great health for a lifetime

From a reader-reviewer, Lee Mellott: “Diane’s writing style is very clear and she is able to share detailed medical information, in an easy to read way. You are left with a better understanding of the disease and how it works and you are given a clear concise action plan.

The diet is a 3 step plan designed to normalize the blood sugar, put the body in fat burning mode and more. In Step 1, you detox with an 8 week "boot camp". Here you will eat a lo carb (not no carb) diet. You will eat tons of veggies, good protein and healthy fats through out the day. In Step 2, you introduce more carbs in a methodical way to keep control of the blood sugar. Step 3 is maintenance mode. In Step 3, you enjoy a greater range of carbs. This is the plan you will follow as a lifestyle plan.

The diet plan includes drinking water, taking supplements, and exercise. Exercise is a great way to keep blood sugar on an even keel and Diane, shares how to do it for the best effect.

In addition to following the plan, Diane shares how the right attitude and managing stress are important facets to a well rounded plan for managing this disease.”

• Like Like x 7
  4. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oops! Sorry about the 'c' in cress instead of the correct 'k' as in Kress!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

As mentioned before, i found the book interesting, useful and informative, and im really glad i did the 8 week 'boot camp'.

But she (Kress) is definitely in the low fat mindset.
    - which works well, for some (maybe many) of us.
    But not for me.
    So if anyone is thinking of doing this, but needs to maintain a higher fat intake to ward off The Hunger and Carb Cravings, then they may need to plan in extra fat from the start. I did.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Tirianne

Thanks so much for this useful information -and your review.

I'd be interested to know which supplements people have taken during the first 8 weeks (stage 1) I've been on Easybetic since June I'm having my Viatmin D and B levels tested on Monday next week -so will wait to see what I need. I do eat a lot of cheese and have an egg every day -so perhaps Calcium isn't necessary.

I've found a really yummy 'treat only 1.9 carbs each!! http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2014/03/17/sugar-free-macaroons/

Enjoy!!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I planned for various books to arrive in orderly fashion and they turned up in 2 days so I've got 4 to read now ! If I get light bulb moments and more recipes to try that would be a in for me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tirianne

Happy reading!! - I found that I was able to spped read / skip most of the first section of the Kress book as it was quite repetitive and full of case studies (interesting if you have time). The plan starts in Part two (page 113) with an introduction to the 'Diabetes Miracle Plan' - and I did read this through twice and marked any relevant sections /pages.

Do let us know how you get on!!
    T x

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mongolia

Mongolia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You could try these peanut butter fudge bars: http://www.ruled.me/keto-peanut-butter-fudge-bars/ which are delicious (IMO) and apparently only 3.3g. You could divide the recipe into more than 8 pieces for less carbs. The difficulty is trying not to eat the whole lot in 1 go!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tirianne

Thanks so much for this link - they look yummy!!!! - and I'm not sure I could restrict myself to just one!!
    But I'm thinking ahead to Christmas and what I can make for 'treats'..... and these will definitely be on the list.
    T x

11. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

OK, so been reading the book and I really feel for Dianne Kress. She was eating the low fat diet, exercising, and working as a diabetes educator. To develop T2DM herself must have been an ordeal to overcome. From the author photo she looks happy and healthy now though.

The five hour liver thing intrigues me. Mine likes to dump very early so I've gotten into the habit of eating cream fraiche or clotted cream before sleeping. Both are high fat, low carb and low protein and seem to hoodwink my liver into foregoing the dump. However, it doesn't dump during the day, seemingly. I may play around with the five hour thing.

Whether I have a lack of stomach enzymes for them or an actual intolerance to processed carbs, I don't know. But it looks increasingly unlikely that I could manage the 5g carb treats unless they were veg, fruit or dairy - let alone, upping carbs.

The book does have some good info so I'm not going to slate it. However, I think it more useful for newbies. It just didn't have the recipes I wanted either.

So a 3/5 from me.

• Like Like x 2
  12. mogzilian

mogzilian Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've read that Ceylon Cinnamon & Chromium are good for PCOS and I know it is good for Blood Sugar levels - you should maybe give Easybetic a go (from the diabetes.co.uk shop)?

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook