Neuropathic pain

Osming

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It is 04.57 and I have been awake all night due to extreme stabbing pain in my foot due to diabetic neuropathy. IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS AND HURTS LIKE BLAZES! NSAID's don't help nor does capsaicin cream. Doc prescribed dulooxetine but I had an adverse reaction does anybody have any ideas?

Reactions: 2 people

RobF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've just started taking Amitriptyline for neuropathic foot pain and it seems to be working. So far so good, anyway.

See if your doc's up for you giving it a go.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Osming

That would be so annoying to speak nothing of the exhaustion ... hope like heck you get that seen to.

Mike

Osming

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks chaps. Finally gave up on sleep and went down to the beach to walk the dog briskly. Funny how being on the foot and walking seems to ease it. Unfortunately it always happens at night when walking is not the preferred option.

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
It is 04.57 and I have been awake all night due to extreme stabbing pain in my foot due to diabetic neuropathy. IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS AND HURTS LIKE BLAZES! NSAID's don't help nor does capsaicin cream. Doc prescribed dulooxetine but I had an adverse reaction does anybody have any ideas?

Osming... good morning... try reading all the posts on the Help in dealing with neuropathy thread... people have had such good results from taking B12, ALA and Benfothyiamine - it seems it can reverse a lot of the neuropathy if you're lucky... I have just been taking the B12 in the form of sublingual Methylcobalamine and my numb patches are shrinking already.... have a look at the thread - Tim has good advice, and Winnie... good luck...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
@Osming

That would be so annoying to speak nothing of the exhaustion ... hope like heck you get that seen to.

Mike
Hi Mike... long time... how are you doing? I imagine it's starting to warm up a bit for summer now over there - or are you down there? :) I hope you are staying well.... I am tightly controlling still, a year later, and keep my numbers better than normal most of the time... I tried two small roast potatoes the other day - no spike! :) Thank you low-carb-high-fat! I am getting good results for my neuropathy too... my son's brother-in-law is a diabetic surgeon and he told me the numb patches on my feet were probably neuropathy from B12 deficiency... fixing it with B12 and I will start ALA and Benfothyamine next week.... Can't believe you can reverse the damage to the nerves... I gather the guys that have been getting results also feel pain - they say it must be the nerves regenerating... So, it's all good... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Mike... long time... how are you doing? I imagine it's starting to warm up a bit for summer now over there - or are you down there? :) I hope you are staying well.... I am tightly controlling still, a year later, and keep my numbers better than normal most of the time... I tried two small roast potatoes the other day - no spike! :) Thank you low-carb-high-fat! I am getting good results for my neuropathy too... my son's brother-in-law is a diabetic surgeon and he told me the numb patches on my feet were probably neuropathy from B12 deficiency... fixing it with B12 and I will start ALA and Benfothyamine next week.... Can't believe you can reverse the damage to the nerves... I gather the guys that have been getting results also feel pain - they say it must be the nerves regenerating... So, it's all good... :)
And also, it is reducing my numbers - and a chap called Tim - can't be bad.... wonder if it's what kicks off the D2 in the first place? There's a thought...

Osming

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to everybody. Will explore the B12 route. Can it be bought OTC?

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks to everybody. Will explore the B12 route. Can it be bought OTC?
I imagine so, but I order mine from Amazon... Tim55 put me on to it...

Osming

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I imagine so, but I order mine from Amazon... Tim55 put me on to it...
Thanks Suzikav. Went to my local Morrisons where the pharmacist sold me 50x50mcgs for £13.23 which is a lot but I'm desperate to get started. Not sure how long it takes to achieve therapeutic effect so began with 100mcgs daily.
Thanks to everyone for help & encouragement.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Hi @Susikav

I am well thanks :) Trust this finds you well too !!

Hot yesterday but today cool ... so typical of Melbourne OZ :)

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
C

catherinecherub

You might like to read this thread where another poster was in the same position as you with neuropathy and he tried a combination of supplements with good results.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/neuropathy-update.69662/

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Thanks Suzikav. Went to my local Morrisons where the pharmacist sold me 50x50mcgs for £13.23 which is a lot but I'm desperate to get started. Not sure how long it takes to achieve therapeutic effect so began with 100mcgs daily.
Thanks to everyone for help & encouragement.

Hi Osming

That is an extortionate price. I have just ordered 100 by 1000 mcg lozenges of the Methyl form for £7.25.

I would strongly suggest you try Alpha Lipoic aicd with it too...

Have you read "Help in dealing with neuropathy"?

Best of luck dealing with it - I know its no fun.

Cheers

Tim

Osming

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Osming

That is an extortionate price. I have just ordered 100 by 1000 mcg lozenges of the Methyl form for £7.25.

I would strongly you try Alpha Lipoic aicd with it too...

Have you read "Help in dealing with neuropathy"?

Best of luck dealing with it - I know its no fun.

Cheers

Tim
Thanks Tim I will follow your advice. As you say, its no fun:(

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
And also, it is reducing my numbers - and a chap called Tim - can't be bad.... wonder if it's what kicks off the D2 in the first place? There's a thought...

In one of Winnie55 posts she references a scientific paper which suggests insulin resistance can be due to an inability to properly metabolise vitamin B12, which in turn of course leads to type 2.

So, in people who have this problem it could well be the underlying cause.

Its not the only possible reason though, as we keep finding, different things work for different people.

Its in the "help in dealing with Neuropathy" thread

Cheers

Tim

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop

Kazlow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The cold
I have taken neurontin also known as gabapentin for ten years now and works a treat. It's an anti epileptic drug but works on nerve pain too. It's so good, I'm on the highest dose but I know others who find just a low dose a relief.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Tim55...How are you? I wanted to thank you for your advice... I have been taking the supplements you recommended - though I'm down to just B12 now, as I ran out and am in the Middle East working right now; it seems impossible to buy the others here.... the numb patches on my feet have all but disappeared and my feet are always warm now... :) I am so relieved that it was nothing to do with not taking meds for D2... I have completely relied on control by low-carbing which is working like a dream - due to checking into this forum the day I was diagnosed.... One year on and my numbers usually run between 4.5 and 6.7, which is tight enough for me... If I exercise a lot they will go down much further of course! I spiked badly when I dared to try a little puff pastry though... still diabetic then... :rolleyes: I have decided to allow myself to have a treat now and again, but oddly enough I cannot decide what I would like... It seems I miss nothing really... It may be a slice of fried bread with baked beans though... :D I hope you are keeping well, and, once again, thank you so much for your advice... Susi....

Reactions: 5 people