Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi everyone.
I feel when I'm following lchf diet properly my thyroid isn't functioning properly. It needs carbs?
I have had a painful day with my hypothyroidism. I've never had pain in the past. I was diagnosed from a routine blood test 22yrs ago. 7yrs before diabetes raised its ugly head.
As anyone experienced similar? What resolved the problem for you?
I took pain killer and sleep nut only gave me reprieve once I had a small amount of carb.
How strange!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What makes you believe this pain, you've never experienced before, was specifically from your thyroid? I'm not suggesting it isn't, just curious how you could really pinpoint it, bearing in mind how complex the whole "junction box" we have around the neck actually is.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm interested too as I have had an underactive thyroid for the last 30+ years and have neck pain problems (at the back of the neck) but have never thought to tie the two together.

C

catherinecherub

Hi everyone.
I feel when I'm following lchf diet properly my thyroid isn't functioning properly. It needs carbs?
I have had a painful day with my hypothyroidism. I've never had pain in the past. I was diagnosed from a routine blood test 22yrs ago. 7yrs before diabetes raised its ugly head.
As anyone experienced similar? What resolved the problem for you?
I took pain killer and sleep nut only gave me reprieve once I had a small amount of carb.
How strange!

This article might explain why you are feeling as you do. You have recently said that you have been unwell.

Can you relate to this?

De Quervain's (subacute) thyroiditis
De Quervain's thyroiditis (sometimes called subacute thyroiditis) isa painful swelling of the thyroid gland that is thought to be triggered by a viral infection, such as mumps or the flu.

It's most commonly seen in females aged 20 to 50.

De Quervain's thyroiditis usually causes a fever and pain in the neck, jaw or ear. It can also cause your thyroid gland to release too much thyroid hormone into the blood (thyrotoxicosis), leading to symptoms of an overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism),

or this?
Acute or infectious thyroiditis
Acute or infectious thyroiditis is usually triggered by a bacterial infection. It is rare and is associated with either a weakened immune system or, in children, with a problem in the development of the thyroid.

Symptoms may include pain in the throat, feeling generally unwell, swelling of the thyroid gland and sometimes symptoms of an overactive thyroid gland or symptoms of an underactive thyroid gland.

These symptoms will usually get better when the infection is treated with antibiotics. In the meantime, thyroid pain can often be managed with NSAIDs. Children will usually require an operation to remove the abnormal part of the thyroid.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/thyroiditis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Both of the above conditions mention neck pain so it may not be anything to do with your diet but rather the recent illness.

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you @catherinecherub .
I'll make an appointment with gp now.
I did read some of the info on Wikipedia but didn't finish or check threatment so a big thank you! :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
What makes you believe this pain, you've never experienced before, was specifically from your thyroid? I'm not suggesting it isn't, just curious how you could really pinpoint it, bearing in mind how complex the whole "junction box" we have around the neck actually is.
@AndBreathe I know what your saying. They could be unrelated but it isnt in my neck joint or arthritis. I haven't injuried myself and I have underactive thyroid and it was diagnosed 22yrs ago without pain. I don't suffer pain in my right hand side of my neck normally. I have been taking my medication daily an hour before breakfast so I shouldn't experience a problem. Last blood test was fine too.
I'll keep you posted as to advice from gp. Hoping just a course of antibiotics. I have had flu jab so unsure of which virus it could be. Hoping not mumps as young kids may catch it.
If (not so good) gp brushes me off tomorrow I will go and see excellent gp afterwards. I cannot afford to have more problems. :-(