Breakfast Cereals

Michael2457

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude,Ignorant people.Manners & respect for others cost nothing.
Thank You Bruneria. Just had a good read of that. There is a conversion calculator where I can convert the mmol/L to HbA1c :)

Which reads my HbA1c at 27 for fasting, and 40 after Breakfast cereal . So yes,pleased a good start for me. Though since my diagnosis a week ago I stopped eating bread,fruit loves,pasta,pizzas,chocolate,cakes,biscuits and lots of bananas,raisins!

Good Start ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Michael2457

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I eat a small amount of spelt bread, which doesn't spike me. I recently found a muesli made by Dorset which is made of spelt. This works well for me, with soya milk or water.

Hiya Margaret. Which Dorset spelt muesli have you had ? Ive looked on the web and they all seem to be 37g Carbs (18g are sugar) per 45g serving. Thanks..

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
PLEASE HELP..I now have a BG Meter.I dont understand why my readings are in mmol/L ? When people are mentioning a HbA1c/Mgdl readings ? Do I have to convert? If so how PLEASE?

My fasting reading- pre breakfast this morning showed 4.8 mmol/L & my two hour after my 40grm bran flakes/canderel sugar/milk showed 6.7 mmol/L . Is this Normal/good?/Bad?
Hi micheal2457,it's a sharp learning curve, have a look at this chart for comparison,your 4.8 mmols and6.7 mmols is.........excellent well done,
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1447257492.419101.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PLEASE HELP..I now have a BG Meter.I dont understand why my readings are in mmol/L ? When people are mentioning a HbA1c/Mgdl readings ? Do I have to convert? If so how PLEASE?

My fasting reading- pre breakfast this morning showed 4.8 mmol/L & my two hour after my 40grm bran flakes/canderel sugar/milk showed 6.7 mmol/L . Is this Normal/good?/Bad?
I would say that is good a lot of people would love to have that level after eating bran flakes

Reactions: 6 people

Michael2457

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi micheal2457,it's a sharp learning curve, have a look at this chart for comparison,your 4.8 mmols and6.7 mmols is.........excellent well done,View attachment 16424
Thank You Clive.. I have copied that Chart,It will help me so very much. That reading after the Bran Flakes is the worse of the day for me. Yet you would think a cereal like that would be the lowest. I had a full tin of heinz soup (30grm carbs) for tea with about 150 grms of mixed veg,and it was lower that the supposed healthy All Bran Bran Flakes!

Yes it is a big learning curve.If it wasnt for this site I would be stuck with what to do..

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thank You Clive.. I have copied that Chart,It will help me so very much. That reading after the Bran Flakes is the worse of the day for me. Yet you would think a cereal like that would be the lowest. I had a full tin of heinz soup (30grm carbs) for tea with about 150 grms of mixed veg,and it was lower that the supposed healthy All Bran Bran Flakes!

Yes it is a big learning curve.If it wasnt for this site I would be stuck with what to do..
Your very welcome , without this site ...i would prob' be limbless or dead,this site is an absolute lifesaver,and the folk who run it are worthy of a knighthood

Reactions: 4 people

BUTCH BRADDON

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I have recently been diagnosed type 2. I am awaiting appt with diabetic nurse in two weeks and ave ordered a meter to test blood levels. When the doctor first diagnosed me and gave me a quick chat on diabetes I told her I had varied breakfast cereals-Bran flakes,shredded wheat. wholegrain porridge,no sugar alpen,all with a sprinkle of canderel. She told me they are fine. Yet Im told to avoid carbohydrates,which these cereals do have. Surely these healthy cereals cant be bad thing to eat? I can understand not having flour,bread,cakes,biscuits,pasta, but healthy breakfast cereals ???
Believe me there is nothing healthy about breakfast serials (apart from Porridge). Read the labels as a diabetic you should do for all foods and check out the salt content and carbs. I eat self prepared museli consisting mainly of seeds such as pumpkin and sunflower with some fresh fruit and soya milk. There is no nutritional value in carbs just pure energy. Unless you are a sportsman or do heavy manual work then a high carb breakfast that you would inevitably get from a bowl of cereal such as bran flakes is not a good way to start the day

Fifilabonbon!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, shopping, intolerance, oneupmanship.
Hello. I have recently been diagnosed type 2. I am awaiting appt with diabetic nurse in two weeks and ave ordered a meter to test blood levels. When the doctor first diagnosed me and gave me a quick chat on diabetes I told her I had varied breakfast cereals-Bran flakes,shredded wheat. wholegrain porridge,no sugar alpen,all with a sprinkle of canderel. She told me they are fine. Yet Im told to avoid carbohydrates,which these cereals do have. Surely these healthy cereals cant be bad thing to eat? I can understand not having flour,bread,cakes,biscuits,pasta, but healthy breakfast cereals ???
Michael, I used to eat "healthy" carbs, whole grain bread, sugar free cereals etc, until I realised my sugars were staying up. Reading this site made me realise that they are are much an enemy as sugar is. I still eat a few, but very few. Have a slice of toast with my breakfast protein (eggs, or bacon or a kipper fillet) none at lunch, which is usually a salad or homemade veg soup, and then try to avoid them at dinner by having extra veg or "Eat water" substitutes. Occasionally have porridge. Love my carbs, but regretfully have had to change my diet. Hope you find what you can tolerate without going totally without.

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
Michael. The problem with cereals is they aren't healthy. Messrs Kellogs and Quakers, ably assisted by the BBC and the NHS, have just convinced us they are. They have starch and sugars in them, which make me obese. (As far as I am aware, Shredded Wheat is the only cereal that doesn't have 'added sugars'; which to me, is an admission that there is already some sugar in it! ) I also believe it makes many others obese unless it's countered with hour upon hour of strenuous exercise.

I just woke up to the fact that 40 odd years of so-called 'healthy eating' has done nothing for me but make me overweight. I am now starting to lose weight, and my 'edema' is going away. This is since I found the 'Diet Doctor'. ( http://www.dietdoctor.com/ )

PS. My 40 years of 'healthy-eating' began in my mid-thirties BTW, when I began to put on weight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bunjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Michael. Everybody responds differently to food but most on this forum have found that carbohydrate, including sugars, is something to be eaten with caution. All Bran does have plenty of fibre, which is good, but it also has around 18g per 100 g of sugar amongst other carbohydrates. I have found that Mornflake Toasted Oat Bran suits me better (1.5g of sugar per 100g, and plenty of oat fibre) and doesn't push up my BG too much - but I only eat a small portion of it on Greek yoghurt.

georgie7758

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi I also had this issue with cereals and its trial and error to work out which gives you the highs. Some so called healthy cereals are really high in sugar. Finally made up my own muesli buying raw full grain natural organic oats from Tesco, mixed one packet of pumpkin seeds and same amount of sunflower seeds add unripe banana and few frozen blueberries and raspberries pour Unsweetened almond milk and microwave for 2Mins it's not cooked, just defrosted the berries and taken the chill off the milk. This gets me through the day until lunch. But this works for me so trial and error for you to see what works. Good luck and hope this gives you a idea to try. My hba1c readings were 85 when first diagnosed and my blood sugars were 31! Took me a hard month to get it down. Now hbac1 is 44 and average sugar level of 6.5.

georgie7758

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people

Hba1c readings are the average readings from the blood tested by the doctor over a 6month period.
Normal blood readings vary from Doctor to Doctor but average to how I feel is between 4-7 anything below and I feel shaky anything above and I get dopey/sleepy.
Cut out the Canderal sugar it's not good for you. Do the research!
Most processed cereals state low sugar but check out the size portion usually it's kid size of 45grams most adults serve 3 times that amount. So your reading is not to bad but depends on how it makes you feel.

Betes-dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would really love to be able to eat 'healthy' breakfast cereals - unfortunately my BG monitor does not agree with this view. Even traditional porridge oats, the really course kind that you have to soak overnight and cook for hours gives a post meal reading in the near 20s.

I have found a couple of recipes for home made low carb museli and granola which I am going to make in the next couple of days. Maybe that will be the answer to a quick and easy breakfast.

Michael2457 your problem will be solved when you start to test your BG, you may be suprised (and frustrated!)
Check the sugar level in the Granola, I found it to be high in the box i bought.

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I also had this issue with cereals and its trial and error to work out which gives you the highs. Some so called healthy cereals are really high in sugar. Finally made up my own muesli buying raw full grain natural organic oats from Tesco, mixed one packet of pumpkin seeds and same amount of sunflower seeds add unripe banana and few frozen blueberries and raspberries pour Unsweetened almond milk and microwave for 2Mins it's not cooked, just defrosted the berries and taken the chill off the milk. This gets me through the day until lunch. But this works for me so trial and error for you to see what works. Good luck and hope this gives you a idea to try. My hba1c readings were 85 when first diagnosed and my blood sugars were 31! Took me a hard month to get it down. Now hbac1 is 44 and average sugar level of 6.5.
Results are similar to mine after near identical breakfast. Its about the individual though. You can only find out buy extensive testing.

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
I have a good protein breakfast. Bacon eggs, eggs or kippers, or a few sausages. I find I can go through the day on that alone, and if I have any lunch it will be a consomme soup, or a slice or two of ox tongue, or other cold meats available. I am enjoying this diet, because I can eat the foods I love. (Well, I love potatoes, and Yorkshire pudd, but those are of the few foods I am NOT allowed! I just treat myself once a month to roast beef and all the trimmings.

jonm8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can have a Marathon bar full of sugar or 2 weetabix and semi skimmed milk

i'll get twice the spick with the weetabix than the Marathon

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The new revised 2015 Xpert course manual
Oh dear - this comment has just brought to me the realisation that I was telling everyone on a different thread that I am waiting to attend the XCITE course!!!!!! I'm actually sat here blushing .....

papamhofu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
i once measured my glucose a few times a day before and after meals. one curious rsult from this exercise was that with more or less the same intake of food, the sugar levels varied quite a bit. in other words it wasnt that straight forward to correlate certain types of food with impact on glucose levels. on one day, after a breakfast of oats porridge -- sugar levels spiked to 12, on another day -- same quantity of porridge -- glucose levels paradoxically went down from 8.5 to 7.3. one of these days i will repeat the same experiment and see what happens.

Diabetes TII, controlled by tables (metformin, gliclazide, pioglizatone), diet (my current philosophy is to eat foods that are as close as practical to how nature creates it -- for example, raw honey, raw milk, grass fed beet, organic this and that... can be quite hard) and exercise.

good luck guys... will be back with any more results...

my objective is to defeat my diabetes/hypertension and stop taking the tables!! that would be fantastic -- but i am not there yet :-(

enjoy
ken

sugarless1

Type of diabetes
Type 2