Fermented Vegetables

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I've been eating sauerkraut for lunch for several months now and normally have mild hypo's mid afternoon after consumption. I've always thought it was due to morning exercise i.e. running or cycling but last weekend I didn't exercise or bolus for the sauerkraut and still saw a large reduction in blood sugar (6.1 mmol before 4.1 mmol 2 hours afterwards.)

I've read about it in more detail and it transpires that fermented vegetables can improve pancreas function. I'm now going to expand my experiment to more fermented vegetables and different times of the day.

This could potentially lead to a reduction in insulin requirements if I added fermented vegetables to each meal.

Any one know of other fermented vegetables with similar properties to SauerKraut ?

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:):)
I've been eating sauerkraut for lunch for several months now and normally have mild hypo's mid afternoon after consumption. I've always thought it was due to morning exercise i.e. running or cycling but last weekend I didn't exercise or bolus for the sauerkraut and still saw a large reduction in blood sugar (6.1 mmol before 4.1 mmol 2 hours afterwards.)

I've read about it in more detail and it transpires that fermented vegetables can improve pancreas function. I'm now going to expand my experiment to more fermented vegetables and different times of the day.

This could potentially lead to a reduction in insulin requirements if I added fermented vegetables to each meal.

Any one know of other fermented vegetables with similar properties to SauerKraut ?

That's interesting.

I went through a sauerkraut phase, but didn't notice anything material with my bloods - even through a period of Libre use. That said, I almost always have a period in the 3s in the afternoons and evenings, so it wouldn't have made me look further, unless the difference had been extreme.

I went off the sauerkraut after a while, but I think I may have just overdone it. I may tray again, and measure portion sizes to look more closely this time.

As a non-medicated T2, now well out of diabetic ranges, going into the 3a is of absolutely no concern to me, and indeed, it seems to just indicate how my skinny little body now works. :)

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not experienced similar results with my home-made sauerkraut (from red cabbage). Did you make your own, @Wurst , or if not, where did you buy it / which brand? Also, how big is your daily serving size?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wanted to go with the fermented veg thing. I mean, they are so good for you...

Just couldn't stand the taste. Had to brace myself for every taste.

Good for you for enduring!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wanted to go with the fermented veg thing. I mean, they are so good for you...

Just couldn't stand the taste. Had to brace myself for every taste.

Good for you for enduring!

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have not experienced similar results with my home-made sauerkraut (from red cabbage). Did you make your own, @Wurst , or if not, where did you buy it / which brand? Also, how big is your daily serving size?

I use pre-made white cabbage sauerkraut, I eat 500g per serving size and don't eat it with anything else.
I live in Germany so it is everywhere and very cheap ~ 40 pence per 500g. Its made by Ja and is called weinsauerkraut.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use pre-made white cabbage sauerkraut, I eat 500g per serving size and don't eat it with anything else.
I live in Germany so it is everywhere and very cheap ~ 40 pence per 500g. Its made by Ja and is called weinsauerkraut.
Thanks for this - 500g is much more than I have been eating (probably under 100g, just 2 Tbs). Do you eat it raw or cooked?

Also, googling weinsauerkraut I found that it's made with the addition of white wine. I don't know if any is left by the end, but if so, could it be the alcohol that's reducing your BG?

Either way, even though I'm not in Germany, it's easy to find pre-made sauerkraut (mostly Polish) in the shops here, and I actually do like the taste, so I'll give it a more serious try.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I often make myself a Rueben Sandwich, without the bread of course.

A Rueben in the USA is Toasted Rye Bread, with Salt Beef, Swiss Cheese, Russian Dressing and Saurkraut.

I usually use a sliced cheese like Leerdamer or Edam when making it over here.

When making them in the Restaurant we used to own in the States it all went onto a flat top grill, including the Kraut which tasted better slightly grilled.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for this - 500g is much more than I have been eating (probably under 100g, just 2 Tbs). Do you eat it raw or cooked?

Also, googling weinsauerkraut I found that it's made with the addition of white wine. I don't know if any is left by the end, but if so, could it be the alcohol that's reducing your BG?

Either way, even though I'm not in Germany, it's easy to find pre-made sauerkraut (mostly Polish) in the shops here, and I actually do like the taste, so I'll give it a more serious try.

I normally heat it up , makes it more palatable :) When I was in the UK in October I couldn't find it anywhere, I tried all the Major supermarkets. Where do you get it ?

Could well be the wine lowering my BS or the vinegar.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I normally heat it up , makes it more palatable :) When I was in the UK in October I couldn't find it anywhere, I tried all the Major supermarkets. Where do you get it ?

Could well be the wine lowering my BS or the vinegar.

I live in London, which is full of Polish shops (as well as many other nationalities/cuisines), but even Asda and Tesco carry Polish food in their "ethnic food" sections.