Veggie drug dilemmas

M

mrspuddleduck

I've been a vegetarian for almost 40 years. Then 16 years ago my pancreas gave out and I developed malabsorption which meant I no longer could digest or absorb carbs, proteins and fats without drug intervention. The main drug I have to take is Creon which is pig enzymes. My choice was either take Creon or die. As a committed veggie, it wasn't an easy decision and all these years later I still struggle with it and now consider myself a partial veggie. My consultant says its a common issue in his field with issues for veggies and also because of religious and cultural beliefs. It did make me realise however just how many meds include animal products. My GP thinks I'm abit crazy that I request veggie safe meds especially as I'm on the Creon!! Just wondered do others think about it and how people handle it?? Sue xxx

Reactions: 9 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its a hard fact of life that sometimes we have to do what we have to do in order to stay alive.
As you know being a vegetarian is more than about what you eat. Its a way of life. Fingers crossed that someone comes up with a veggie Creon for you.

M

mrspuddleduck

Thanks @Enclave I wish!! :) Meanwhile I am interested in whether people think about whats in their meds or whether it's considered a necessary evil? (Not in a judgemental way, more about peoples views) Sue xx

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a real shame that you can't have vegetarian Creon @mrspuddleduck & I understand why it wouldn't sit so easily with you but you do seek veg options wherever possible & that's really all you can do. I would do the same.

I'm vegetarian largely for sentimental reasons & have often wondered what those who follow this way of life for religious reasons would do in your situation. It's one thing to live with your own self-judgement (as I an atheist do) but I imagine the thought of going against your god/s would be hard to live with.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @mrspuddleduck What rotten luck for you. I had to look up creon and found an interesting discussion in a cystic fibrosis forum. If it is any consolation at all, creon is a byproduct of food production. At one point there were trials to extract the enzyme from dogs which would be specially bred for this purpose and not used for food. I think many omnivores would struggle with that. Here is the discussion if you haven't already read it

http://forum.cysticfibrosis.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24825

I am fortunate that I only have to take metformin. I order my supplements online so that I can get gelatine free capsules. I wouldn't consider you a partial veggie at all - your heart is very much in it and you are making the best of a bad lot to stay alive :) X

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
It is a real shame that you can't have vegetarian Creon @mrspuddleduck & I understand why it wouldn't sit so easily with you but you do seek veg options wherever possible & that's really all you can do. I would do the same.

I'm vegetarian largely for sentimental reasons & have often wondered what those who follow this way of life for religious reasons would do in your situation. It's one thing to live with your own self-judgement (as I an atheist do) but I imagine the thought of going against your god/s would be hard to live with.
Remember having a similar discussion at univerity and the reply fed back from a rabbi was that when life & limb were involved that God would forgive and that it was kosher!

Reactions: 4 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Thanks everyone, I must admit I think it's made me abit neurotic in checking the ingrediants in everything else! I know its not quite the same but I am so shocked at how many drugs have lactose in!! Sue x

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I refused HRT when I found out how it was made, its a drug called Premarin, Pre Mares Urine, couldn't stand the idea that these horses were tied up and affectively drained of urine. It really makes you wonder how they can conclude that it would work.

Reactions: 6 people

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
My decision to go veggie was due to animal suffering and I wanted to reduce the impact my life choices made. Of course lifting beef, pork and poultry from the shelves in the supermarket gives no indication that suffering takes place but for those who wish to know, the evidence is there. Some countries are bigger offenders as are different types of “animal production.”

Previous to going veggie I was on a low carb diet, for diabetes sake, and was the greatest meat eater around. Managing blood sugar levels has been so much more work since going veggie.

Even if I were to go vegan it would still not be possible to pass through this life without unintentionally killing or harming animals and insects. Oil extraction for petrol and diesel, harvesting of vegetables, cutting the lawn, ………………… etc. insects and animals die in the process.

I would not think twice about taking Creon to keep me alive and would still be able to live as before, knowing the reason I chose to go veggie was to reduce suffering among animals and no matter what action I took I could not eliminate it.

Reactions: 6 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Of course lifting beef, pork and poultry from the shelves in the supermarket gives no indication that suffering takes place but for those who wish to know, the evidence is there. Some countries are bigger offenders as are different types of “animal production.”

About 20 years ago I went to a Turkey 'farm' just before Xmas. I will never forget the sight of thousands of turkeys in a barn, trampling some to death, the smell and worst of all the sound of a collective screaming in terror. I thought I had a hard stomach, I didn't and even today I can't sit at a table with Turkey on it. Bah humbug........

S

Shar67

I have the same problem with Creon, I cannot see there ever being a vegetable replacement, as it is made from pig pancreas. It is one of the few medications that Muslim and Jewish religions allow as there is no alternative, every one I take I bless the pig for the sacrifice

Maybe in the far future we would be able to produce enzymes from our own cells, the only problem with that is they would try with animals 1st

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is literally life saving for you and something you have no other choice to make. I would consider you vegetarian as when you have a choice you take the veggie option. Wishing you good health

Reactions: 3 people