• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

Recent Content by KennyA

  1. KennyA

    Milk

    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/dairy Diet doctor gives milk at 12g carb "per cup" which I assume is the US "cup" measure ie just over 0.4 pints.
  2. KennyA

    Milk

    What are you looking to do? I certainly wouldn't be telling you how much milk to drink as the decision depends on so many other factors - what else you're eating, whether you need particular (eg) vitamins, etc. Personally I don't use milk at all. Too many carbs (lactose) for me - I use double...
  3. KennyA

    30 plants a week?

    If you're looking for some guidance on carb content I've always found DietDoctor to be be very handy. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables
  4. KennyA

    30 plants a week?

    Too much carb in many of those for me. At a guess: Broad beans as part of a tuscan sausage and beans Kidney beans plus carrots/celery/onions ( small amounts minced as a sauce base for meat chilli) Tomato passata as part of a fish stew Spinach with steak Coffee @ six a day Herbs - Thyme sage...
  5. KennyA

    Recently diagnosed and feeling deflated after first nurse appointment...

    Put all that to one side. It's typical of a very out of date way of thinking about T2 and unfortunately it still persists in parts of the health services and most of the media. You've done really well yourself, and that is the most important thing. No reason why it shou;ldn't continue. BTW...
  6. KennyA

    Can Anyone Please Recommend Good Books or Websites on Prediabetes and Lifestyle Changes?

    There's a number of book reviews on this forum thread. If you're starting from scratch I'd go for something by Dr David Cavan. He's an NHS consultant endocrinologist, and I think his "How to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes and Prediabetes" would at least give you a start on what you're looking for.
  7. KennyA

    Freestyle Libré 2

    Hi. Couple of points that might help. First off, whatever method of testing your blood you use, there are inaccuracies. It's acceptable for there to be up to 15% error 95% of the time for most systems in most countries. In practical terms this means that a true BG value of 6.0mmol/l could see...
  8. KennyA

    Zero-carb beer

    Westbrook's have introduced another new low carb beer called Sonoma: 4.5% abv and 1.5g carb per 440ml can. £16.99 plus delivery for eight x 440ml cans. It's billed as a West Coast Helles lager. In the interests of science I have purchased some and am subjecting it to the usual rigourous...
  9. KennyA

    Cinnamon suppliers

    Hi. I have absolutely no experience with supplements, cinnamon or otherwise, but I thought I should make a point about testing. I'd recommend testing immediately before you eat and then again two hours later. The high blood glucose point should be reached after around 40 minutes (but you're not...
  10. KennyA

    Incorrect diagnosis?

    According to the Bilous and Donnelly Handbook of Diabetes, anaemia is one of those conditions that can and might affect the accuracy of the HbA1c test. Unfortunately many general practices run their diabetes services along a single one size fits all track and I would suspect there may be a few...
  11. KennyA

    Need advice to control highs during the night

    I think you need to talk to your medical team about this. If you can't link the results you're seeing to (say) food intake or medication then there is something else in play. No idea what that might be. The variation you report, which - if I've understood you correctly - can be 3.6 at midnight...
  12. KennyA

    Stews

    No need to guess. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables This website will give you accurate information on the carb content of most foods. The link is to "vegetables" but there are guides for almost everything. You have to answer the "is it OK" question yourself. The answer will...
  13. KennyA

    Metformin and alcohol

    No, it won't. Metformin reduces the ability of your liver to make glucose via gluconeogenesis. The way it does this "is not fully understood" according to the Handbook of Diabetes (Bilous and Donnelly). Can you give any reference for your assertion that metformin might cause DKA? Alcohol will...
  14. KennyA

    Blood Glucose Readings

    The fingerprick readings are measured in mmol/litre. The HbA1c readings are measured in mmol/mol. Even more confusingly, there are other measurements in use (mainly in the USA) which give readings in mg/dl and percentages. Interpret what you read on the internet with some care particularly...
  15. KennyA

    Foot care in Scotland

    I'd have a look on the Scottish Government's website. Health service generally is a devolved matter so it is a decision that will have been taken locally. It might even be your local health board's decision, and you might try their website too.
Back
Top