JamesW2612

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi All,

I have been diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic for 4 months now. I had an appointment with a diabetic nurse at my doctors surgery.
I was given no real advice. I was told "Maybe only have bread at the weekend" - She gave me a blood glucose test machine and showed me how to prick my finger and take a sample. It wasn't until i got i home that i realised she didn't tell me when i should take a reading and what the readings should be.

What a shame that i have received more help and information from this forum and other sources.

I found a great PDF document that has LOADS of great information. Its been my bible over the last few weeks. I have given it to my family too, so they understand. They have been asking me so many questions that i couldn't answer.

I do wonder where my journey will go from here.... I have been referred to a real diabetic clinic now, so will see how that goes.

If it all fails, i always have this great forum :)

Reactions: 2 people

JamesW2612

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi SweetLucie,
From what i have read here i know i am lucky to get a meter, its just a shame her advice wasn't very good.
I probably should have done that, but i was a little put off by her. She was actually a lovely lady, but i dont think she knows much about it all. Maybe it was me not asking the right questions.

I have an appointment in the new year at the diabetic clinic at the hospital - I will get myself prepared with questions for that appointment.

Emma158

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I have been diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic for 4 months now. I had an appointment with a diabetic nurse at my doctors surgery.
I was given no real advice. I was told "Maybe only have bread at the weekend" - She gave me a blood glucose test machine and showed me how to prick my finger and take a sample. It wasn't until i got i home that i realised she didn't tell me when i should take a reading and what the readings should be.

What a shame that i have received more help and information from this forum and other sources.

I found a great PDF document that has LOADS of great information. Its been my bible over the last few weeks. I have given it to my family too, so they understand. They have been asking me so many questions that i couldn't answer.

I do wonder where my journey will go from here.... I have been referred to a real diabetic clinic now, so will see how that goes.

If it all fails, i always have this great forum :)

Hi James,
Thank goodness you managed to find lots of helpful information yourself as it certainly sounds as if your nurse could've been slightly more forthcoming with information regarding diet and testing.
Do you have a good supply of testing strips? I found it so helpful to test 2 hours after meals so that I could gauge what foods affected me. Everybody reacts differently and this was a bit of an eye opener for me.

I think hindsight is a wonderful thing and when you are with the nurse it's so easy to forget to ask certain questions etc that you only think of later.

I hope your new diabetes team give you good support and good luck but it sounds as if you're doing plenty of research and are taking control of things so I'm sure you'll do great. ☺

JamesW2612

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks Emma :)
It was a shame she didnt give me more information. She really just told me all the negative stuff like going blind and loosing limbs but didnt guide me on what i needed to do.

I have found out sooo much information now that i feel confident i know what to ask. At the beginning i didn't know enough to even ask questions lol

Thanks again!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You were lucky to get a meter. The fact that you have been referred indicates that your surgery doesn't have any diabetes experts, so perhaps the DN did her best.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @JamesW2612, as far as when to test goes, just before eating and 2 hours later is a good place to start. Try to aim for less than 8.5 at the 2 hour test and also no more than 2 points greater than the pre-meal test. This will help you to discover which foods affect your bg levels the most so that you can avoid them. All the best :).

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @JamesW2612. It seems some GP nurses (and GPs) do not give much useful advice to people diagnosed as diabetic.
When I was told I had T2 the only advice I was given by my GP was to cut down on sugary and sweet stuff. When I saw the nurse the only advice I was given was to eat 5 portions of veg a day, and portions should be no bigger than my fist, and that I should wear shoes indoors to protect my feet.
The DESMOND course was more helpful. But I have learnt more from this forum than I have from the NHS.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I assume my surgery doesn't have a Diabetes Nurse, as I've never seen one. My GP just told me I had T2 as my HbA1c was 88, gave me a prescription for Metformin and a form to claim free prescriptions, gave me the NHS healthy eating guidelines and told me to come back in 3 months.

That was it.

3 months later he told me my HbA1c was now 32 and he had no idea how I had managed it, but to continue what I was doing, and come back in 12 months.

I think I prefer it this way, as I have no interest in people telling me what to do. I'm old enough to make my own choices.

Reactions: 7 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I assume my surgery doesn't have a Diabetes Nurse, as I've never seen one. My GP just told me I had T2 as my HbA1c was 88, gave me a prescription for Metformin and a form to claim free prescriptions, gave me the NHS healthy eating guidelines and told me to come back in 3 months.

That was it.

3 months later he told me my HbA1c was now 32 and he had no idea how I had managed it, but to continue what I was doing, and come back in 12 months.

I think I prefer it this way, as I have no interest in people telling me what to do. I'm old enough to make my own choices.
I trust you didn't follow the NHS healthy eating guidelines :)

JamesW2612

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks for all your replies :) I have had more help from this forum than any one in the NHS.
The nurse i see was a diabetic nurse (apparently) but i think she was new at it.

I dont blame the nurse, she can only pass on to me what she has been taught. At the time, it was all new and i was in a whirl wind of appointments and information that i didnt really ask her any question. Maybe a little shell shock :0

Thanks again for all the help you have given. This forum has made my life a lot easier!

HEG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my blood test after being diagnosed three months ago. The nurse first of all asked if this was my annual blood review. Which I replied newly dignosed so first retest since the initial one. She was most put out and told me I was on the wrong list. We had a very stilted conversation from there on from saying her son was type 2 but after three months rediagnosed as type 1 so I should prepare myself! Secondly as I mentioned the great advice on this forum she said I should ignore it as you don't know who is giving the advice. Then she walked towards the door with the samples and told me to shut the door on my way out! This is the place I am suppose to turn to if I am worried about anything.

Thankfully I am seeing a different nurse for the results. So there are a lot of good and not so good NHS diabetic nurses

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
I too am newly diagnosed and have yet to see anyone until Friday for my first meet with the nurse.
All I was told by phone from the doctor that I had been diagnosed with diabetes. I still haven't come down to earth.
Roll on Friday !!!!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too am newly diagnosed and have yet to see anyone until Friday for my first meet with the nurse.
All I was told by phone from the doctor that I had been diagnosed with diabetes. I still haven't come down to earth.
Roll on Friday !!!!

It's a lot to take in in one appointment, as the op has found out.
Ask questions, and write down what you can to mull over later.

JamesW2612

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks for your replies.

There is so much to take in. If your nurse or GP isnt very good it can be very scary. I was told all about going blind and loosing feet and so on. Not once was i told how i can help it.

Most definetly need to be prepared with questions and so on.

Good luck for Friday !!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You told told in a phone call ??

What a terrible way to treat a patient.