Why the increase in BS reading?

chinta

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find breakfast very difficult but now that I'm on metformin thought I should have something. For the first couple of weeks I was having a slice of toast and butter (17g carbs) which increased my BS by about 2 each time. The this weeks I started trying greek yoghurt (5.5g) with some DaVinci sugar-free vanilla syrup mixed in - really yummy. For the first 4 days my FBS was around 10.5,going down to 10 two hours after the yoghurt. Today it's gone from 10 up to 11.5. Anyone any clue as to why the trend should be reversed?

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Either skip breakfast or try bacon and eggs...........I skip and am fine but everyones different........:)

your bloods are a tad high , whats the rest of your diet like ??

chinta

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I know they're high but down from 22 when diagnosed 3 weeks ago. Just wondered why the same breakfast ow had a reverse effect to previous 4 days.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could be anything

Stress, different activity levels, fatigue, sleep deprivation, different portion size... even just the fact that it was a Saturday, so your routine was different.

Also worth remembering that these home blood glucose meters are only required to be accurate to within 15% plus or minus. So an actual bg level of 10 could show up on your meter as a reading anywhere from 9.5 up to 11.5 and still be considered to be acceptably accurate. You also sometimes get really weird readings (e.g. 15 when you were expecting a 5. In that case it was was probably a dodgy strip, and just re-test).

It is very important when you are doing home testing to remember that you are looking for trends. Never think that any single reading is accurate. And always test a meal, with the same portion sizes, at least 3 times before you are confident that you know how your body reacts. Although stress, tiredness and activity will all still have an impact.

It really is more of an art, than a science.

I really feel for the insulin dependents. They have the same meter inaccuracies, and they have to use the information to calculate their insulin, but they have the same factors affecting things. It is so much more difficult for them.

chinta

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aha, I didn't get very much sleep last night Since starting lchf and metormin my sleep has greatly improved to about 8 hours a night. Last night I was back to about 4 (mainly due to husband's snoring!!)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something else to consider: suppliers/manufacturers can only give you an average nutritional value for the ingredients in their food (for example in fruit and veggies that grow under whatever conditions nature chooses to throw at them at the time!) so there are bound to be occasional small variations in what you actually get to eat, and thus how it may affect your levels. So as @Brunneria says, look for trends and patterns, and think about what may be responsible for any obvious variations. Keeping a diary of both food and your health/activity/stress levels, etc, may help while you're learning how your body reacts/behaves.

Robbity