What's your Diabetes story? (How did you find out you were diabetic?)

koicarp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In March this year, Friday the 13th to be specific , I can't remember how it all started but I was waking up with bad cramp at the bottom of my legs, loss of energy, was always snapping at people (don't normally) was drinking a lot of drinks! ( probably tried out all the drinks at the shop) wasn't eating much at all so lost a lot of weight (went down to 6 stone) , had a blood test on the Thursday 12th March and that same night an out of hours nurse came and told me to go to my doctors in the morning, me, fearing the worst, thought diabetes, didn't know anything about it and I'm still learning now, went doctors next day and was told go to the hospital straight away, was diagnosed with dka and told if Id left it any later I would of been in a coma, my sugars were 54, because of my weight they had to treat me how they would treat a child, they struggled at first to get blood from me as I was soo dry, went home on the Sunday that weekend and told in there yeah diabetes type 1, everyone at the hospital nurses and doctors were very supportive so I can't think them enough! So yeah, type 1 diabetic and I'm trying to deal with it and be strong, Sorry for the long post btw!

And just like you I had those nasty cramps too!

S

Shar67

I have chronic pancreatitis, in pain all the time, not all pancreatitis sufferers become diabetic, but the damage to my pancreas meant I would eventually become diabetic.
My consultant in April 2013 thought I had about 2/3 years before it would happen.
Went on holiday end of July 2013 and I had this other weird pain, like being stabbed in the side with a red hot poker, lots of opiate based drugs held it at bay for a little while, came back from holiday back to work, 3rd day in I couldn't walk up 3 steps, no energy, body felt weak, my boss took me home I phoned my GP who came out, checked BG and immediately send me to hospital medical assessment ward, I was then taken to ICU with DKA, was told I was about 20 minutes from blood sepsis.
Put on sliding insulin, had some wonderful hallucinations between all the drugs being pumped into me. Best one was it was snowing but only on my bed, then I was on a motorised cloud great fun.

Reactions: 4 people